[comp.sys.next] Problems with 1.0

trainoff@voodoo.ucsb.edu (10/14/89)

-Message-Text-Follows-

Well, 1.0 seems to have major bug fixes and is generally speedier in
handling interupts (such as switching windows) but I have had a couple
of problems.  Most of my potential "explanations" are mostly
guesswork, so please don't get the impression that I understand the
causes of these problems:

The script that supposed to supposed to reinstall the 0.9
administration and Netinfo stuff didn't work too well.  None of the
netboot information, none of the configuration server setup, and most of the
passwd information, didn't get reloaded correctly.  I basically had to
start from scratch.

When booting, the CONFIGURATION SERVER gives me an error message:
No response from network configuration server.
	Type c to start up computer without a network connection.

If I read the OSNotes.wn documentation correctly, the configuration
server should not broadcast a bootp and hence should not get this
error.  We have two machines that live on their own NeXT only subnet.
I checked that the hostconfig contains NETMASTER=-YES-.  If I press
'c' then netinfo comes up in some wierd state where it only serves the
local domain instead of the / domain.  If I wait it out and resist the
temptation to hit that 'c' key, something times out and it comes up
correctly.

In the sample exports file:
/ -access=CLIENT
/clients/CLIENT -access=CLIENT,root=CLIENT

I had to change the first line to:
/ -access=CLIENT,root=CLIENT
or the bootup on the client got the error message: NFS write error 13
on host SERVER I think this error comes from when the pager is unable
to write to the swapfile, but I am not sure.

The mail aliases now go through the netinfo.  It looks like Next put
the traditional aliases (like postmaster, etc) into NetInfo.  I think
that the left the dbm code in sendmail for compatibility.  So when we
didn't have a /usr/lib/aliases file, sendmail would give the error
message: "dbm: no open database error message" IN the SMTP connection
to any machines trying to deliver mail to us.  The address lookup
would succeed in Netinfo so sendmail would validate addresses
correctly, but the error message is enough to make most mailers give
up and declare the mail undeliverable.  The solution was easy.  I
created a blank /usr/lib/aliases file and 'newaliases'ed and
everything was okay, ie. no more error messages in the SMTP dialog.

I am having problems getting the -host switch to work.  I have Public
window server set.  Under 0.8 the switch was -host, under 0.9 the
switch was -Host.  In all versions it is/was undocumented.  Does it
still work?  Am I just doing something wrong?

We are having problems with the Mail manager.  On our mail server we
have a campus maintained sendmail.cf.  It works fine.  On our mail
client we have the nExt supplied sendmail.sharedsubsidiary.cf.  Mail
that is recieved on the mail server is readable on the server and the
client, since all accounts are network wide accounts.  This is a great
improvement.  Unfortunately, mail that is sent explicitly to the mail
client is returned as undeliverable.  Is this just a bad sendmail
setup or was this an artifact from the MailManager?  I also notice
that mail sent from the mail client is delivered with the address of
the mail server.  I also wish that the Mail tool would have a switch
that would inforce 80 column messages.  I find that with the automatic
linefeeds in the display, I send messages that are too long for
some remote mailers.

The last problem I have had is with TeX.  Under 0.9 TeX seemed to
work flawlessly.  Under 1.0 the first time we tried it after installation
on our favorite macro package, we got the error message:

Unable to read an entire line---bufsize=3000
Please ask a wizard to enlarge me.

Unfortunately I don't know any Texperts.  I must add that the
previewer is wonderful.

I would appreciate any insight people may have on these problems.  I
am certain that I messed up alot during the setup.

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (10/20/89)

In article <2514@hub.UUCP> trainoff@voodoo.ucsb.edu writes:
>I am having problems getting the -host switch to work.  I have Public
>window server set.  Under 0.8 the switch was -host, under 0.9 the
>switch was -Host.  In all versions it is/was undocumented.  Does it
>still work?  Am I just doing something wrong?

It's been a while since you posted your question; you might have an
answer already.  The -Host switch went through another change and became
-NXHost.  Actually, all Application Kit defaults from NeXT went through
the same change: -ShowPS became -NXShowPS, -Font became -NXFont, etc.

I believe these defaults and their initial values are described in
Chapter 10 of the System Reference Manual, near the discussion on
the defaults system.

Ali Ozer, NeXT Developer Support
Ali_Ozer@NeXT.com