[comp.sys.next] NeXT & Quake Damage Report Wanted

vale@arrakis.nevada.edu (Robert Vale) (10/19/89)

Does anyone know how well the I.M. Pei designed floating concrete
staircase in the NeXT, Inc. headquarters faired during the recent
earthcquake and/or it there was other damage at NeXT?

iii
Robert Vale ---> vale@arrakis.nevada.edu INTERNET
                 (702) 735 - 6139        Voice

king@next.com (Peter King) (10/21/89)

In article <928@unsvax.NEVADA.EDU> vale@arrakis.nevada.edu (Robert Vale) writes:

>Does anyone know how well the I.M. Pei designed floating concrete
>staircase in the NeXT, Inc. headquarters faired during the recent
>earthcquake and/or it there was other damage at NeXT?

The I.M. Pei staircases suffered no damage whatsoever, not even any
tiny cracks.  In fact, NeXT suffered minimal damage, some spilled
juice and some dropped ceiling.  The entire corporate data network was
up the following morning, when the power returned.  We suffered no
damage to our NeXT computers, and no data loss.  All of our buildings
were declared safe.  Our shipping schedule has not changed.  In fact,
a shipment went out on time Wednesday.

Business as usual.

Peter King
NeXT Systems Software