[comp.sys.next] Frame

2FHGKINGLY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (10/07/89)

When using Frame 1.0 (from NeXT release 1.0),  can you not type two consecutive
spaces when typing text.  When I'm typing text, tabs don't work and after the
first space character, pressing the space bar has no effect.  I realize that
Frame 1.0 is a beta (or alpha?) demo, but this makes it unusable...
comments...

jans@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Jan Steinman) (10/13/89)

<When using Frame 1.0 (from NeXT release 1.0),  can you not type two
consecutive spaces when typing text.  When I'm typing text, tabs don't work and
after the first space character, pressing the space bar has no effect.>

If it is similar to Frame on Tek workstations, you must set up your tabs the
way you want them in order to fix the amount of space between columns or
whatever.

When you think of it, what are the semantics of multiple spaces in a WYSIWYG
doc-prep system?  Depending on justification, alignment, kerning, hyphenation
threshold, page keeps, et. al., there can be any amount of space between words!

IMHO, they got it right -- only allow explicitly declared whitespace, and
disallow archaic reliance on "space" as some kind of "character", which it
really isn't.  The semantics of the space bar in WYSIWYG doc-prep should be
"begin a new word".

If you actually need to place more than one consecutive ASCII space character
in a file, Frame is probably an inappropriate tool.

							   Jan Steinman - N7JDB
						  Electronic Systems Laboratory
					Box 500, MS 50-370, Beaverton, OR 97077
						(w)503/627-5881 (h)503/657-7703

yyang@frame.com (Yeong Yang) (10/13/89)

>When using Frame 1.0 (from NeXT release 1.0),  can you not type two consecutive
>spaces when typing text.

You have the "smart spaces" option turned on in the Format-Document dialog.

>When I'm typing text, tabs don't work and after the
>first space character, pressing the space bar has no effect.

You have to set the tab stops for your paragraph format.
You can set the tab stops by using the format-paragraph dialog or by simply
dragging a tab stop off the text ruler.

> I realize that
>Frame 1.0 is a beta (or alpha?) demo, but this makes it unusable...
>comments...

The FrameMaker app in 1.0 release is a very decent beta demo copy and has many
powerful features.  Though one minor (:-)) feature -- saving will be
disabled on Oct 17, 1989.
The actual FrameMaker product will be on sale at BusinessLand by then.

Yeong C. Yang

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/16/89)

In article <3592@frame.UUCP> yyang@frame.com (Yeong Yang) writes:
>The FrameMaker app in 1.0 release is a very decent beta demo copy and has many
>powerful features.  Though one minor (:-)) feature -- saving will be
>disabled on Oct 17, 1989.

Too bad.  The chances we'll have 1.0 available for general use
before then are about zero.  Without a full demo, we'll be less
inclined to get addicted to it, and thus less likely to
site-license it for our organization of 35,000 people.  We're
totally scrupulous about licensing software, and this is audited
and verified, and we generally commit to software decisions for
no less than five years.  Five years guaranteed revenue.  Five
years of convincing everyone that comes through to demand YOUR
product wherever they go when they leave.  Five years of word-of-
mouth advertising--the best kind--the kind you just can't buy.

>The actual FrameMaker product will be on sale at BusinessLand by then.

According to the documentation, educational institutions deal with
Frame directly, not B-Land.  That's ok, you don't need our money,
or us persuading our 10-times-the-size parent University to adopt
your product statewide.  Too bad, it looked kinda neat.

Now, if there were some license number that extended the full
functionality to say, Dec. 31, you might get a full audition
rather than a listing under "reclaimable disk space."

					-=EPS=- / SFSU
standard disclaimer -- just tellin' it like it is

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (10/17/89)

In article <679@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <3592@frame.UUCP> yyang@frame.com (Yeong Yang) writes:
>>The FrameMaker app in 1.0 release is a very decent beta demo copy and has
>>many powerful features.  Though one minor (:-)) feature -- saving will be
>>disabled on Oct 17, 1989.
>
>Too bad.  The chances we'll have 1.0 available for general use
>before then are about zero.  Without a full demo, we'll be less
>inclined to get addicted to it, and thus less likely to
>site-license it

Actually, I had access to a crippled demo (freely redistributable, natch) of
FrameMaker, and got addicted to it very nicely, thank you.  Of course, it
wasn't useful for large documents or ongoing projects, but for a one-day
project like a letter, poster, flyer or short newsletter, it worked just fine.
Not only is printing still available, but you can print to a PostScript file
and therefore have an online archive of your final version.  After that,
though, you can make only minor changes such as spelling corrections (by
hacking the PostScript file), so a real save feature comes in real handy.

The crippled demo is subtlely seductive ("it's free -- why not get what use of
it you can").  In the end, my manager started using it, got hooked, got
frustrated with the limited online storage facilities of `Print to File' and so
bought a license.

Note that I'm not taking exception to your assertion that the full-featured
version is superior to the crippled one, just to the other one that you won't
be able to generate addiction to FrameMaker without a full save feature.

And, of course, I wouldn't be saying any of this if I had any relationship to
Frame Corporation other than as a user.  I don't.
--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner

dubman@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan Dubman) (10/17/89)

In article <679@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <3592@frame.UUCP> yyang@frame.com (Yeong Yang) writes:
>>The FrameMaker app in 1.0 release is a very decent beta demo copy and has many
>>powerful features.  Though one minor (:-)) feature -- saving will be
>>disabled on Oct 17, 1989.
>
>Too bad.  The chances we'll have 1.0 available for general use
>before then are about zero.  Without a full demo, we'll be less
>inclined to get addicted to it, and thus less likely to
>site-license it for our organization of 35,000 people...
	... (more stuff to make to make company sales reps cry)

I don't know what organization that is but if it is really of that magnitude
and really needs publishing software, I am SURE that Frame would be happy to
grant you a temporary license and provide instruction and support- just give
them a call.  They didn't get where they are today by sealing their product
in a box and selling it to Egghead.  They live by corporate accounts, and I
know they would be accomodating.  They would be silly not to give you what you
want, and you'd be silly not to ask.  They're even right here in the bay area.

I have no association with Frame, but thanks to their demo I've had a chance to
try out their neat product.

Jonathan Dubman

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/19/89)

In article <1989Oct17.084225.6063@agate.berkeley.edu>
	dubman@monsoon.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan Dubman) writes:
>In article <679@wet.UUCP> epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>>In article <3592@frame.UUCP> yyang@frame.com (Yeong Yang) writes:
>>>                    Though one minor (:-)) feature -- saving will be
>>>disabled on Oct 17, 1989.
>>Too bad.  The chances we'll have 1.0 available for general use
>>before then are about zero.

Correction--absolutely zero.  After the 'quake we are still 100% shut down.

>I don't know what organization that is but if it is really of that magnitude
                                                                    ^^^^^^^^^
                                                   interesting choice of word
>and really needs publishing software, I am SURE that Frame would be happy to
>grant you a temporary license
How about a special earthquake extension?

>                                      They're even right here in the bay area.
Then they're probably not answering their phones either.

					-=EPS=-

chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (10/19/89)

For what it's worth: I got addicted to Frame, I love it, and couldn't
live without it.  I called Frame, found Kelly Mattson (408.954.3974),
and sent her a $500 check for my educational license.  She was
incredibly helpful; she gave me an authorization/serial number to keep
my current copy of Frame active, and even planned to deliver the new
2.0 copy on optical disk to my house in San Francisco yesterday.

The earthquake changed all that, of course, but I still can't complain
a bit about Frame's quality product, and the company's flexibility in a
pinch really deserves my commendation.

Regards,
R. Martin Chavez
Stanford University School of Medicine

glc@frame.UUCP (Greg Cockroft) (10/20/89)

>>and really needs publishing software, I am SURE that Frame would be happy to
>>grant you a temporary license
>How about a special earthquake extension?
>
>>                                      They're even right here in the bay area.
>Then they're probably not answering their phones either.

The phones weren't being answered, but shipping was in operation, so the
first copies of the NeXT FrameMaker release 2.0 shipped yesterday.

You will also notice the demo version on the 1.0 disk is still working past
the 17th. It won't really disable until the 23rd.

The NeXT machines must have some type of power surge shutdown. The sun on
my desk didn't stop, but all the NeXT machines in the building shutdown
when the quake hit.

	-greg.

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (10/20/89)

In article <7650@asylum.SF.CA.US> langz@asylum.UUCP (Lang Zerner) writes:

>Actually, I had access to a crippled demo (freely redistributable, natch) of
>FrameMaker, and got addicted to it very nicely, thank you.  Of course, it
>wasn't useful for large documents or ongoing projects, but for a one-day
>project like a letter, poster, flyer or short newsletter, it worked just fine.
>Not only is printing still available, but you can print to a PostScript file
>and therefore have an online archive of your final version.  After that,
>though, you can make only minor changes such as spelling corrections (by
>hacking the PostScript file), so a real save feature comes in real handy.
>
>The crippled demo is subtlely seductive ("it's free -- why not get what use of
>it you can").  In the end, my manager started using it, got hooked, got
>frustrated with the limited online storage facilities of `Print to File' and so
>bought a license.

All right, I'll look into it. Now, where do you "buy" this product.
I've tried NeXT and they don't sell it? Who did you contact at Frame?
Or did you go via BusinessLand? How much was the lisence and what did it
cover? Please, tell all?

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU
(607) 255-8960

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (10/21/89)

In article <5259@lindy.Stanford.EDU> chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) writes:
>For what it's worth: I got addicted to Frame, I love it, and couldn't
>live without it.  I called Frame, found Kelly Mattson (408.954.3974),
>and sent her a $500 check for my educational license.

Is this right?  Only $500 for the educational price?  If thiss is
correct, then where do I send my money?  I had thought that the
price would be about double this.  I'm an the faculty of a university
and own a NeXT, which I bought at the educational price, so I assume
(rightly?) that I would be entitled to the educational price for
Framemaker.  Can anyone confirm this price, and provide details on
how to obtain 2.0?

Another question.  I heard some time back that Frame intended to
support SGML in a future release of Framemaker.  Could anyone supply
details on this?

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuvax.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuvax.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

chavez@sumex-aim.stanford.edu (R. Martin Chavez) (10/21/89)

In article <1989Oct21.011645.1787@sjuphil.uucp> dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP (D. Carpenter) writes:
>>For what it's worth: I got addicted to Frame, I love it, and couldn't
>>live without it.  I called Frame, found Kelly Mattson (408.954.3974),
>>and sent her a $500 check for my educational license.
>
>Is this right?  Only $500 for the educational price?  If thiss is
>correct, then where do I send my money?  I had thought that the
>price would be about double this.  I'm an the faculty of a university
>and own a NeXT, which I bought at the educational price, so I assume
>(rightly?) that I would be entitled to the educational price for
>Framemaker.  Can anyone confirm this price, and provide details on
>how to obtain 2.0?

It turns out that I'm the very first person to take delivery on
FrameMaker 2.0.  As I suggested, you simply need to call Kelly
Mattson at 408.954.3974, and send your check for $500 to:

	Frame Technology Corporation
	attn: Kelly Mattson
	1010 Rincon Circle
	San Jose, California 95131-1325

The price includes the optical disk, which comes packed with all
sorts of special treats.  The 2.0 release has several improvements
over the demo version (including on-line help and a much snazzier
equation editor).

FrameMaker is a sophisticated, elegant, and robust product; I
recommend it very highly, and consider the $500 educational price
to be a real bargain.

epsilon@wet.UUCP (Eric P. Scott) (10/23/89)

In article <3597@frame.UUCP> glc@frame.com (Greg Cockroft) writes:
>You will also notice the demo version on the 1.0 disk is still working past
>the 17th. It won't really disable until the 23rd.

When students are finally let back on campus...  :-(
Other than "losing" the Library and a 700-student residence hall,
things should be back to normal on the 23rd.  Only one cube (that
I know of) was trapped in the Library; that floor is rumored to
have suffered minor structural damage.  Unfortunately the floor
above was undergoing asbestos removal (oops), so the upper five
floors won't be accessible for a while...  We plan to have 1.0 up
in November, since the people that are to install the
prerequisite ROMs will be very busy doing "important" things in
the aftermath.  Right now, FrameMaker is the least of our
worries.
					-=EPS=- / SFSU