[comp.sys.next] dvips and stdin

gil@daffy.gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) (10/17/89)

The documentation for dvips states that if no dvi is specified,
stdin is read instead.  It also states that if the flag -f is given,
dvips works as a filter, again reading stdin.  Operationally, this
seems to be incorrect; dvips gives an error: no input filename
supplied.  In addition, the -f option does not copy to stdout.  I
have checked the source, and there never seems to be any effort
made to read stdin.  Does anyone have fixes for this?

			- Gil Neiger gil@gatech.edu

bajan@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Alan Emtage) (10/23/89)

In article <2536@hydra.gatech.EDU> gil@gatech.edu (Gil Neiger) writes:
>The documentation for dvips states that if no dvi is specified,
>stdin is read instead.  It also states that if the flag -f is given,
>dvips works as a filter, again reading stdin.  Operationally, this
>seems to be incorrect; dvips gives an error: no input filename
>supplied.  In addition, the -f option does not copy to stdout.  I
>have checked the source, and there never seems to be any effort
>made to read stdin.  Does anyone have fixes for this?

As a followup to this: I recently obtained and installed dvips 4.1 with
the hopes of adding dvips to the list of lpd filters. Our Cube provides
printing services for a number of other machines and I would really like
the capability of not having to ftp (or rcp) my dvi files over to the
NeXT and running dvips there before being able to print it. As it
currently stands it seems as though the -f option core dumps every time,
after having first generated some output. It's not the files themselves
since they work fine if they are listed on the command line, it's just
when you try to read from stdin that you have problems. I also noticed
that in the files /usr/lib/NextPrinter/comm there is no attempt to use
dvips as an lpd filter, its just listed under one of the unsupported
filters. What's up? Anybody have any ideas ?

Alan Emtage,                    "It's currently a problem of access to
McGill University,CANADA        gigabits through punybaud." -  Licklider

INTERNET: bajan@cs.mcgill.ca    UUCP: ...mit-eddie!musocs!bajan
	  listmaster@cs.mcgill.ca
BITNET:	  bajan@musocs.BITNET

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (10/24/89)

Dvips does indeed work with stdin, but the input file *must* be seekable.
This means (a | dvips) will not work.

You might want to get dvips 4.2 from labrea.stanford.edu . . .

-tom