[comp.sys.next] NeXT UUCP Dial-out fix?

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (10/24/89)

I called apple.com today to find out about setting up a uucp login for our
NeXT machine at work.  I was informed by someone there that the UUCP that
comes with the NeXT machine has a bug in it that won't realease the modem
device after it has placed a call, thus making it necessary to reboot the
computer after calling.  This will not work for us since we want to be polling
throughout the day.

It was suggested that a solution would be to get the 4.3 BSD Source to uucp
and merely "fix" it myself and recompile it.

My question is - has anyone run into this problem?  What did you have to do
to fix it?  Can you send me the fixed uucp program?  (email me first so I
don't get several copies of it).  Any info would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Also, if anyone in the south bay has a NeXT set up as a leaf site communi-
cating with another uucp site and if you're running news and mail and...
I'd like to hear from you!  Pending solution of the above problem, we'll
be being up the NeXT on the uucp net woon...
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: cpdaux!steve@apple.com                GEnie:  LEMKE

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (10/24/89)

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) writes:

>I called apple.com today to find out about setting up a uucp login for our
>NeXT machine at work.  I was informed by someone there that the UUCP that
>comes with the NeXT machine has a bug in it that won't realease the modem
>device after it has placed a call, thus making it necessary to reboot the
>computer after calling.  This will not work for us since we want to be polling
>throughout the day.

That, as far as I know is a load of crap. I have been polling and being polled
for nearly a year now using trailblazers and hayes modems. There is no such
problem. The only thing I have run into that sounds anything like that is
when 0.8 tip used to crash and tie up a serial port which required a reboot.

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

kean@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Kean Stump) (10/25/89)

This problem could occur if the modem cable you are using doesn't pass the
hardware flow control lines correctly between the modem and the serial
port.  I have had my cube as a uucp site since Feb (0.8, 0.9, 1.0) and
haven't had this problem yet.  The section on the cube hardware gives
pinouts for all the conenctors in the cube, and recommended cable wiring
for a serial cable destined to talk to a modem.

kean

Kean Stump, College of Oceanography               Domain: kean@{cs,oce}.orst.edu
Oregon State University, Corvallis OR 97331-5503  UUCP: kean@shatter.UUCP
****OSU knows nothing about my opinions.  Absolutely nothing. So, don't ask.****
   Diplomacy : The art of saying "nice doggy", until you can find a big rock.

steve@cpdaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (10/25/89)

In article <13330@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> kean@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Kean Stump) writes:
}I have had my cube as a uucp site since Feb (0.8, 0.9, 1.0) and
}haven't had this problem yet.  The section on the cube hardware gives
}pinouts for all the conenctors in the cube, and recommended cable wiring
}for a serial cable destined to talk to a modem.

TO ALL:

Could you possibly give me the exact steps involved in changing a stand-alone
non-communicating NeXT machine into one that calls another unix computer with
uucp?  I set up the L-devices file and L.sys, but obviously I did something
wrong, as it won't even attempt to make a phone call.  I'm using a USR Courier
HST (9600+ baud) modem, so if you have any specific information about that, I
would love to hear how to run it faster than 2400 baud (like changing some
thing somewhere to enable the X protocol instead of G protocol).  Basically,
if you could show the contents of the "special" files in /usr/lib/uucp and
list all specific steps, I'd really appreciate it.  I have established a
login account and password with my uucp neighbor and signed in manually with
tip (using "a9600" or "9600a", whichever it was), but can't get the NeXT
to do it.  A listing of relevant Cron entries would be nice, too!

If this turns out to be too much to post, you can email it to me and if I
should get multiple responses I'll pick the clearest one and post it, and
also send it to the NeXT archives as a doc file.

Thanks again for any help!

("I'm not a Unix guru, but I play one on the NeXT computer!")