[comp.sys.next] taking cube off the network

gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) (10/28/89)

Hello, I had my cube running (Ver 1.0) on a Non-Netinfo heterogeneous network
of Suns, Macs, Gators, etc. Was doing NFS mounts, telnets, ftps and the like.
Had a printer connected to the cube, and was able to print. I was running
Yellow Pages (no flames please).

Took the cube home (no network). Powered up. Disk spinning icon and the legend
"Starting system services..." stayed up forever. Rebooted using left-alt, left-
command, *. I started BANGING on Ctl-Cs when the legend said "Checking Disk".
Got the "NMI>" prompt. Typed "mon" to get to the monitor. TYped "bsd". Event-
tually the cube came up. ( oh yes, changed ypbind to ypbind.orig, like on Sun.)

Is there an easier way to do this? I'll probably be alternating between network
and no network for awhile. What can I do before I shut down that will make
starting up in the other environment easier?

PS: has anyone seen the 1.0 tech docs yet?
--
Reply to: Gregory S. Baber		Voice:	(609) 520-5077
   Dow Jones & Co., Inc.		UUCP:	..princeton!dowjone!gregb

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (10/29/89)

In article <641@warlock.UUCP> gregb@dowjone.UUCP (Gregory S. Baber) writes:
>Hello, I had my cube running (Ver 1.0) on a Non-Netinfo heterogeneous network
>of Suns, Macs, Gators, etc. Was doing NFS mounts, telnets, ftps and the like.
>Had a printer connected to the cube, and was able to print. I was running
>Yellow Pages (no flames please).

You might want to look at the type of NFS mounts you are making.  The default
(as shipped from SUN?) used to be hard mounts.  This meant that the machine
would hang untill it found it's remote file systems.  There is also a
parameter that says whether or not you can interrupt the NFS mounts.  You
probably want soft (if supported) interruptable mounts.

As for Yellow Pages.  Your machine may be out looking for its YP server.  I
think you can boot the machine in verbose mode and see where it hangs in
the boot up script. This is done by telling the boot rom you want to boot
in verbose mode.

On my machine, when at home,  I have an ideal ethernet on the back (1 T
connector and two terminators)  but it should not be needed.

<joe>

PS  This was posted after hours and is soley the work of joe freeman.

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (10/30/89)

In article <1989Oct29.150651.22693@uncecs.edu> jfreem@ecsvax.uncecs.edu.UUCP (Joe Freeman) writes:
>On my machine, when at home,  I have an ideal ethernet on the back (1 T
>connector and two terminators)  but it should not be needed.

In fact, the OS as shipped from NeXT won't like the "stub ethernet" idea
at all. If the connection is left open, NetInfo won't try to use it, but
if you put a valid wire on there, NetInfo will wait until kingdom come
for another NetInfo server to talk to it.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765