[comp.sys.next] Looking for a Browser object

15332JEP@MSU.BITNET (Jeff Piper) (11/10/89)

I am working on a windowed news reader for the NeXT machine.  I am currently
using two side by side scroll views to simulate a Browser.  I would like to use
a real Browser object.  Anyone on the net or at NeXT Inc. willing to supply the
source for a Browser object?

Jeff Piper
Michigan State University
NeXT Support Center

Internet:jep@cl-next1.cl.msu.edu or jep@ebfs2.cl.msu.edu

pmy@jeeves.acc.Virginia.EDU (Pete Yadlowsky) (11/10/89)

In article <14715332JEP@MSU> 15332JEP@MSU.BITNET (Jeff Piper) writes:
>I am working on a windowed news reader for the NeXT machine.  I am currently
>using two side by side scroll views to simulate a Browser.  I would like to use
>a real Browser object.  Anyone on the net or at NeXT Inc. willing to supply the
>source for a Browser object?

I'm working on just such a thing. I've often wondered why a Browser object
wasn't included in the appkit. Anyway, my approach begins with the creation
of a BrowserBay object which consists of a label field, a scrolling body
(SelectionCell matrix) and up/down scrolling buttons. One or more
BrowserBays are then wrapped (perhaps with option horizontal scrollers)
into a `BrowserView'. I'll make all this available for ftp when ready,
unless somebody beats me to it.

	- Pete

Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "Pay no attention to that man
Academic Computing Center	|	behind the curtain!"
University of Virginia		|
pmy@Virginia.EDU		|

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (11/10/89)

pmy@jeeves.acc.Virginia.EDU (Pete Yadlowsky) writes:

>In article <14715332JEP@MSU> 15332JEP@MSU.BITNET (Jeff Piper) writes:
>>I am working on a windowed news reader for the NeXT machine.  I am currently
>>using two side by side scroll views to simulate a Browser.  I would like to use
>>a real Browser object.  Anyone on the net or at NeXT Inc. willing to supply the
>>source for a Browser object?

>I'm working on just such a thing. I've often wondered why a Browser object
>wasn't included in the appkit. Anyway, my approach begins with the creation
>of a BrowserBay object which consists of a label field, a scrolling body
>(SelectionCell matrix) and up/down scrolling buttons. One or more
>BrowserBays are then wrapped (perhaps with option horizontal scrollers)
>into a `BrowserView'. I'll make all this available for ftp when ready,
>unless somebody beats me to it.

Damn you people! I'm doing one too. Instead of using a browser object, I have implemented a
scrolling matrix of button cells for various lists in need. I plan to add nntp support
later. I also use NN's nnmaster to maintain an index of all the current news so there is
no waiting. Are y'all doing it totally OO or are you just grafting the interface onto
rn? Maybe we should collaborate? I have a number of useful objects already implemented
which do news-type things. I'll be ready to test by thanksgiving.

Chris

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

dtgcube (Edward Jung) (11/10/89)

I use NeXT's browser class; it is undocumented, but in their library.  You can
get the methods and the expected types by performing run-time lookup using
the routines outlined in /usr/include/objc/objc-runtime.h and objc-class.h.

I have headers for most of the routines, and classes for ListBrowser and
HashTableBrowser (for Lists of objects that can be asked for a string
representation, and HashTables that map strings to something).

The NeXT Browser class is used in the Open and Save Panels, actually lots of
places.  I have been told that NeXT eventually plans to release it after it
has been made more stable and the interfaces cleaned up.  So use this information
at your own risk.

Those interested in getting copies of my Browser.h header (and perhaps even
ListBrowser and HashTableBrowser) should send me mail.  I use it (at the peril
of having to rewrite the class if and when NeXT changes it) in many apps.

--
Edward Jung			        The Deep Thought Group, L.P.
BIX: ejung				        3400 Swede Hill Road

In article <1989Nov10.023803.13934@nueces.cactus.org> chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) writes:

>Damn you people! I'm doing one too. Instead of using a browser object, I
>have implemented a scrolling matrix of button cells for various lists in
>need.

You might consider using the SelectionCell, which puts a right-arrow in
the cell if selecting it opens a sub-list. Otherwise, just text with no
arrow, making it look like an ordinary button cell.

>I plan to add nntp support later. I also use NN's nnmaster to maintain an
>index of all the current news so there is no waiting. Are y'all doing it
>totally OO or are you just grafting the interface onto rn?

Totally OO; what I'm doing has nothing to do with rn specifically, and
what I really needed was a general purpose Browser view to take care
uh them ain't-got-no-browser blues. A rn interface sure sounds like a
good application for a browser, though.

>Maybe we should
>collaborate? I have a number of useful objects already implemented
>which do news-type things.

Yes? Yes? Such as?

Peter M. Yadlowsky		| "Pay no attention to that man
Academic Computing Center	|	behind the curtain!"
University of Virginia		|
pmy@Virginia.EDU		|

rock@lighthouse.com (11/11/89)

Hmmm, we're having to implement a Browser too.  We wrote NeXT to ask
when theirs would be available, but got no response.

So let's just try this little experiment: everyone who has
implemented, is implementing, or plans to implement a Browser class,
or who has hacked GDB to use the current Browser, please signify your
frustration by sending us e-mail.  We'll post the results.

Roger Rosner
Lighthouse Design, Ltd.
...!uunet!lighthouse!rock
rock@lighthouse.com