[comp.sys.next] restarting after a lockup, suggestions?

2FHGKINGLY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (11/10/89)

Problem: When using YAP and experimenting with Postscript code, I often
use my God given talent of locking up the machine.

Question: When I get into the monitor, is there a special address I could
set the PC to in order to 'reset', but not reboot the machine?  When the
NeXT locks up, there are open files.  This makes fsck do its thing on
reboot which takes about 5 minutes (330 Mb).  I'm not a Unix expert, but
I don't think it would be a good idea to comment out the fsck command in
the rc file either.

Any suggestions, or is this just extra incentive to not lock up
the machine?

Blake Hughes, undergrad, University of Kansas

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (11/11/89)

In article <17503@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> 2FHGKINGLY@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu writes:
>Problem: When using YAP and experimenting with Postscript code, I often
>use my God given talent of locking up the machine.
>
>Question: When I get into the monitor, is there a special address I could
>set the PC to in order to 'reset', but not reboot the machine?  When the
>NeXT locks up, there are open files.  This makes fsck do its thing on
>reboot which takes about 5 minutes (330 Mb).

If you lock up your system in such a way (most likely due to hanging up
the window system), you can cleanly reboot using the right-command backquote
key combination (just above 7 on the keypad).
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Manager, System Software