[net.auto] Headlights

hood@homxa.UUCP (R.HOOD) (03/15/85)

Here's a question for you road-wise netters.

While I was working for a telephone company in Oregon it was company policy
to have the car headlights on whenever the vehicle was being driven.  The
theory behind this was that it makes the car more visible and less likely
to be involved in an accident.  It seems to make good sense, so I adopted
it as a personal driving habit also.

Since moving to New Jersey last year I have continued to drive with my
headlights on, but I find that it seems to disturb the natives.  On
a good day I can get upwards of 4 flashes (headlights only) per mile
from oncomming drivers.  I even have pedestrians wave, point, and shout
at me.  Some of these people actually seem offended.

So whats the problem.  Is there some local custom I don't know about?
Is it illegal? Immoral?

I've also noticed a large number of people who drive at night with only
the parking lights on - perhaps they are conserving energy.  It could be
that by needlessly using my headlights I offend these energy conscious
Easterners and they are trying to convert me to their conservationalist
ways.  Any comments?

				Ron

ark@alice.UUCP (Andrew Koenig) (03/16/85)

Until it became illegal in New Jersey last year, my practice
was to turn on my parking lights just about when the sun set,
and defer turning on the headlights until they would actually
do some good -- in other words, when the area became darker
than the relatively feeble beam from the headlights.

My theory in doing this was that parking lights alone would
make my car much more visible, but why bother with headlights
unless they're needed?

Now the law is that headlights must be on no later than half
an hour past sunset, so I turn them on just about at sunset.

stern@inmet.UUCP (03/20/85)

[]

In most states the regulation is: headlights on from 1/2 hour before
sunset to 1/2 hour after sunrise.  I beleive the reasoning behind this
is to encourage people to put their headlights on before the twilight
period, when it can get dark pretty quickly without you really noticing
it (if you are driving).  During the evening twilight your eyes adjust
to the darkness quickly, and you may not think you need your headlights
on because it doesn't look "all that dark".  If you were to go inside
just before the twilight, and then come out twenty minutes later, you'd
put your lights on when you hopped in the car.

The law in NJ was 1/2 hour before and after for a long time (it was when I
took my driving test years ago).  Many states also have pretty bizarre
regulations about driving with parking lights on, or with fog lights on,
without having your headlights on.

As for driving with your headlights on during the day, I was always
under the impression that you should keep your headlights *off* unless
the weather was pretty foul.  I don't think leaving them on all day
increases the visibility of your car, unless it is dark to begin with.
As far as I know, the only people who drive with headlights on during
the day are: funeral processions, police on the chase, volunteer firemen/
rescue squadders on their way to a call, or someone warning you about
a speed trap down the road (quick flashes of the lights).  Better to
leave the "daytime headlights" for those situations that really require
it.

--Hal Stern
  {ihnp4, harpo, bellcore, ima}!inmet!stern

gin@spp2.UUCP (Mike Gin) (03/20/85)

I, personally, don't drive with my headlights on during the daytime,
but I'm sure that it certainly wouldn't hurt from a safety standpoint.
Here's one case in point:

There's a highway in central California (California 152) which has
become one of the most accident-prone highways in the state.  The
statistics became so bad that, a few years ago, the state decided
to require that all vehicles traveling on that road (day or night)
have their headlight turned on.  I don't have any detailed figures,
but apparently, this practice has dramatically reduced the number of
accidents that occur on that road.

--
                Mike Gin	TRW-DSG

		{ucbvax, decvax}!trwrb!trwspp!spp2!gin
		 ucbvax!lbl-csam!trwspf!trojan

phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) (03/21/85)

In Missouri, the law says headlights on from .5 hour *after* sunset
to .5 hour *before* sunrise.  This is because there's still a lot
of light for about half an hour after the sun actually goes down,
and similarly for before the sun comes up.

In both Illinois and Missouri, it is ILLEGAL to drive with just your
parking lights on.

					Phil Kos
					The Johns Hopkins Hospital

hsu@cvl.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (03/22/85)

> While I was working for a telephone company in Oregon it was company policy
> to have the car headlights on whenever the vehicle was being driven.  The
> theory behind this was that it makes the car more visible and less likely
> to be involved in an accident.  It seems to make good sense, so I adopted
> it as a personal driving habit also.
>
> Since moving to New Jersey last year I have continued to drive with my
> headlights on, but I find that it seems to disturb the natives.  On
> a good day I can get upwards of 4 flashes (headlights only) per mile
> from oncomming drivers.  I even have pedestrians wave, point, and shout
> at me.  Some of these people actually seem offended.

I don't know what the problem is in New Jersey; driving with headlights on
in the daytime usually indicates that you are attending a funeral.

> I've also noticed a large number of people who drive at night with only
> the parking lights on - perhaps they are conserving energy.  It could be
> that by needlessly using my headlights I offend these energy conscious
> Easterners and they are trying to convert me to their conservationalist
> ways.  Any comments?

What conservationist ways?  In Maryland, it is in fact ILLEGAL to drive with
your parking lights on (as it is with your hazard flashers), but there is
some sort of distinction made that allows you to drive with your running
lights on.  Now, since my car only has two stops on the light, I've had a
hard time finding out exactly what constitutes running lights. My driver's ed
instructor didn't know, neither did the county cop nor the state trooper
know.  So I ask you this: where are my running lights?

-dave

devine@asgb.UUCP (Robert J. Devine) (03/22/85)

> Research shows that cars with their headlights on have an accident
> rate about 30% lower than cars without (during the daytime, of course).

  I would be doubtful of any strict causal link here.  If the driver
was thoughtful enough to switch on the headlights, it sounds like they (attempt
at non-sexist pronoun) are more likely to be a careful driver.

Bob

iles@hplabs.UUCP (03/22/85)

Research shows that cars with their headlights on have an accident
rate about 30% lower than cars without (during the daytime, of course).

It is illegal in some states to drive with parking lights on, but never
illegal to drive with your headlights on.

They are starting to consider making cars like motorcycles, i.e., the
headlights will be on whenever the motor is on (or is it when the ignition
is switched on?).

Dan

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/24/85)

In article <190@osiris.UUCP> phil@osiris.UUCP (Philip Kos) writes:

>In both Illinois and Missouri, it is ILLEGAL to drive with just your
>parking lights on.

*If* this is true, would someone in Ill-noise do me a favor and
issue tickets to all those pigs driving around with just their
"parking" lights on?

But really, people, this was all beaten to death a few months ago.

Perhaps it is time to split up net.auto into:

net.auto.advice.which-econobox-should-i-buy?
net.auto.advice.my-foobar-is-broken
net.auto.debate.headlights
net.auto.debate.55
net.auto.debate.left-lane-hogs
net.auto.debate.natural_vs_synthetic_oils
net.auto.debate.epa
net.auto.debate.seatbelts&airbags
net.auto.debate.hot-rods_vs_sports-cars
net.auto.truck  (net.truck?  net.motorvehicle.auto and
			     net.motorvehicle.truck?)
net.auto.hi-tech

did I leave out anything?

        _____
        |___|           the Bavarian Beagle
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
                        -the fortune AI project

review@drutx.UUCP (MillhamBD) (08/26/85)

OK. So how do I aim my headlights properly? Is there a easy at home
method, or do I need to take the car to a gas station?

I have noticed something interesting about the headlights on my 85
Chrysler Laser. They look like regular lights, but the lense is
plastic. Are these better than glass, or lighter and cheaper? Anyone
else with a Chrysler ever notice this?

Brian Millham
AT & T Information Systems
Denver, Co.

...!inhp4!drutx!review

jackh@zehntel.UUCP (jack hagerty) (08/30/85)

> OK. So how do I aim my headlights properly? Is there a easy at home
> method, or do I need to take the car to a gas station?
>
> I have noticed something interesting about the headlights on my 85
> Chrysler Laser. They look like regular lights, but the lense is
> plastic. Are these better than glass, or lighter and cheaper? Anyone
> else with a Chrysler ever notice this?

> Brian Millham
> AT & T Information Systems
> Denver, Co.

Most do-it-yourself type auto supply stores sell a home headlight aiming
device. Around here (SF Bay area) they sell for <$10 and are essentially
a bubble level designed to fit on the little aiming blips on your headlight
lens. They come in two styles: one for round bulbs and one for rectangular.
They even compensate for unlevel ground.

Chrysler is the first (I believe) major automaker to use the new polycarbonate
(plastic) lenses. They'll all be using them soon.  Besides being cheaper than
glass, they offer superior shatter resistance to rocks and other road hazards.
The jury is still out as to weathering, scratch resistance, etc.

This brings up a point to all those indignant types complaining about folks
"fitting" halogen lamps to their cars. Nearly every car sold in this country
comes from the factory with halogen lamps; there is no choice. I'd be willing
to bet that 80% or more of new car buyers don't even realize that they have
them. Manufacturers have switched to them, dispite the much higher cost,
because they are superior lighting devices and increase night safety many
times over the older style lamps.
--
                    Jack Hagerty, Zehntel Automation Systems
                          ...!ihnp4!zehntel!jackh