[comp.sys.next] Cheap SIMMs

dnp@sonia.math.ucla.edu (11/10/89)

I just got a fair line on 8x1 MB 80ns SIMMs, $83 each!! The one hitch is
you have to buy at least 200 units. If anyone out there is interested
drop me a note and I'll add you to the list (no money to me, we'll all
order directly from the company. We just need to insure them of a big
order).

Reply's to: dnp@math.ucla.edu          In real life: Dan Port

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (11/10/89)

You can get SIMMs from the Chip Merchant at $79/SIMM-- 80ns, low profile.

The Chip Merchant
800-426-6375
619-268-4774
FAX: 619-268-0874

BTW: Do these SIMMs work in the NeXT?

b.bumgarner
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu

aisl@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Lawrence Landry) (11/10/89)

In article <2012@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> dnp@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:

>I just got a fair line on 8x1 MB 80ns SIMMs, $83 each!! The one hitch is
>you have to buy at least 200 units. If anyone out there is interested

I just ordered some 8x1 M 80ns SIMMs for $79 each.  I only had to order two.
I was doing an upgrade to a Macintosh for a friend so I didn't get enough
to test them out on the NeXT but I have transferred the 4 1M SIMMs in my Mac
II to the NeXT with no problems.

I found the company advertising in the back of MacWeek.  They only ship COD
the total cost was 2x$79 + ~$6-7 for shipping & COD.  The company is:
The Chip Merchant 1-800-426-6375 for orders and 1-619-268-4774 for info.
The SIMMs arrived in less than a week and come with a 5 year warranty.

PS - I don't have any affiliation with any of the companies mentioned above.

--
Larry Landry
University of Rochester

hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Josh Hodas) (11/11/89)

In article <2012@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> dnp@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:

>I just got a fair line on 8x1 MB 80ns SIMMs, $83 each!! The one hitch is
>you have to buy at least 200 units. If anyone out there is interested
>drop me a note and I'll add you to the list (no money to me, we'll all
>order directly from the company. We just need to insure them of a big
>order).
>

>Reply's to: dnp@math.ucla.edu          In real life: Dan Port

Not to beat a dead horse, but this is a bit silly, since The Chip Merchant
(800 426-6375) is selling Samsung Low-profile 80ns simms for $79 a piece
with no minimum order.

I have no affiliation with Chip Merchant other than having bought over 2 dozen
simms from them for myself and friends over the last few months.  Note that
these simms are fine for all macs including the IIci (Mine is humming along
great).
-------------------------

Josh Hodas    (hodas@eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104

(215) 222-7112   (home)
(215) 898-5423   (school office)

ce1zzes@prism.gatech.EDU (Eric Sheppard) (11/11/89)

Am I correct to assume, then, that NeXT SIMMS and Mac Simms are compatible?
Will the NeXT be able to use 256k SIMMS?

--
Eric Sheppard
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!ce1zzes

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (11/11/89)

In article <2012@sunset.MATH.UCLA.EDU> dnp@MATH.UCLA.EDU () writes:
> I just got a fair line on 8x1 MB 80ns SIMMs, $83 each!! The one hitch is
> you have to buy at least 200 units.

	I don't mean to put a damper on your entheusiasm in looking for a
good deal, but Chip Merchant has been advertising a $79 price for the SIMMs
you describe, Quantity 1, for the past few weeks in MacWeek.  We ordered 8
Meg a little while ago (paid a bit of a preminum because we issued a
Purchase Order and had them bill us after shipment but still got a good
deal).  One set of 4 was DOA (we didn't bother to isolate which of the 4 it
was) but they replaced it without any trouble.

	It seems that for a Q200 order, you should be able to do better
than $79 and certainly better than $83.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
{att,philabs,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy -or- roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu
"The connector is the network"

dnp@sonia.math.ucla.edu (11/12/89)

This is an update regarding a prior posting about the avalibility of
$83 8x1 MB 80ns SIMM boards. Many of you informed me of the $79 (or
there about) price from the "Chip Merchant". Many thanks to all of you.
I passed this on to the distributor and he is willing to go as low (ha!)
as $65. This isn't so bad, but hardly worth the effort of a group buy.
So unless there is considerable interest at this price lets all order
from the Chip Merchant or Technolgy Works. I will send ordering information
to all who request it (and those who were interested before).

Reply's to: dnp@math.ucla.edu          In real life: Dan Port

stone@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Andrew Stone) (11/14/89)

In article <wZKap5_00VcIM7LGAv@andrew.cmu.edu> wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) writes:
[...]
>BTW: Do these SIMMs work in the NeXT?

I have been running with 4 of these Chip Merchant [Korean] SIMMS for a
while, as well as 4 extra Toshiba. What is interesting with 16 MB is that
when a page fault occurs, it seems to take longer to get the working set
figured out. Does anyone know what paging algorithm the kernal uses?

andrew
!!         Andrew Stone             !!       Stone Design Software      !!
!!      stone@hydra.unm.edu         <>      Albuquerque, New Mexico     !!