[comp.sys.next] Dot matrix printers on the cube?

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (11/13/89)

Like most campuses, Cornell has to TRY and recover
costs as much as possible. As most people have already
mentioned here, printing on the NeXTs is somewhat
troublesome. I'll add that it's also expensive, even using
recharged toner cartridges (no one tell NeXT...:-)    ).

So, I wonder, has anyone tried, or does anyone know, of
connecting ordinary dot matrix printers to the cube and
what cables would be necessary? PS emulation would be nice
but not essential. We have had good success using an Apple
LW on the cube and can attach a charging mechanism to those
printers, but the same apparatus won't work on the NeXT lasers.

If anyone has succeded here please post the results. I think
there's enough interest to warrant it. Thanks in advance.

Roger Jagoda
NeXT Coordinator
Cornell University
(FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU)
(607) 255-8960

In article <9282@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>
	rogerj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) writes:
>    I wonder, has anyone tried, or does anyone know, of
>connecting ordinary dot matrix printers to the cube and
>what cables would be necessary? PS emulation would be nice
>but not essential.

It's pretty easy to connect a serial printer to the cube; all you
need is a serial cable with the right plugs on each end, and
a null modem if it doesn't work without one.

This is the setup I'm trying now for printing text:

DS180: \
	:rs:sh:lp=/dev/ttya:ty=Datasouth DS-180:sd=/usr/spool/lpd: \
	:lo=/usr/spool/lpd/local:tr=\f:br=9600:rw:fc#0177754:fs#0000023: \
	:xc#0004040:xs#0040000:mx#0:px=990:py=892:if=/usr/lib/lpf:

Since I'm doing NL->CRLF translation here, I suspect I'll have to
fiddle with it a bit (e.g. moving the 040 bit from xc to xs) if I
need to send certain kinds of binary data.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to create an "ImageWriter
II-quality" PostScript printer by creating a lpr filter that uses
the window server to produce appropriate resolution off-screen
bitmaps, and sends the generated raster to the matrix printer.

[ Roger: read /NextLibrary/Documentation/NeXT/SysAdmin/ApB_Lpd.wn;
  I hope you're wrong about being in the majority ... in any case,
  we don't bother accounting for printer usage because we are not
  even PERMITTED to charge for it.  Besides, the cost for impact
  printers is insignificant compared to the cost of trying to
  account for the cost, and that cost would have to be passed on.
  We have enough bureaucratic nonsense around here already. ]

					-=EPS=-

Some minor problems with the setup given in the referenced
article:

1) Apparently any (unprivileged) user can run PrintManager, click
Configure, try to set the access to Public, and PrintManager will
merrily trash much of the printcap information.

2) Clicking Test (or trying to print from any application) will
send a whole bunch of raw PostScript to the printer.  This may
surprise a few people.

What are the "re" and "mf" flags in /etc/printcap (I see they're
not actually in the netinfo database in 1.0, but they were in
0.9)?  They're not described on printcap's man page.

					-=EPS=-

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (11/14/89)

/* ---------- "Dot matrix printers on the cube?" ---------- */

>So, I wonder, has anyone tried, or does anyone know, of
>connecting ordinary dot matrix printers to the cube and
>what cables would be necessary? PS emulation would be nice
>but not essential. We have had good success using an Apple
>LW on the cube and can attach a charging mechanism to those
>printers, but the same apparatus won't work on the NeXT lasers.
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */

Actually, it is very very easy, if you just want a line printer.  (that means
text only ngraphics, no formatting).

First, you need to insert an entry into /etc/printcap.  I got mine from the
System release 0.8.  NeXT removed it in 0.9 for unknown reasons.

The original
llp|local line printer:\
	:lp=/dev/lp:sd=/usr/spool/llp:\
	:lf=/bootdisk/Administration/Private/logfiles/lpd-errs:

This file needs minor modifications I believe, but if you got the laser writer
to work, it should be relatively easy to use this info.

Michael Rutman
SoftMed