[comp.sys.next] swapfile size and hanging

swfc@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu (Shu-Wie F Chen) (11/09/89)

My NeXT machine has been hanging recently.  It seems that my swapfile grows
to my high watermark of 80Mbytes and then thrashes(?) to death.  Basically,
I couldn't do anything with my windows (I just get the little disk icon as
the mouse pointer) and I couldn't login from another machine.

Here is what is recorded in /usr/adm/messages...

     .
     .more of the same
     .
Nov  9 11:09:21 mendelssohn mach: vnode_pager: /private/vm/swapfile is full.
Nov  9 11:10:07 mendelssohn mach: vnode_pager: /private/vm/swapfile is available again.
     .
     .more of the same
     .
Nov  9 12:28:31 mendelssohn mach: vnode_pager: /private/vm/swapfile is full.
Nov  9 12:45:37 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo sleeping: RPC: Timed out
Nov  9 12:45:47 mendelssohn mach: vnode_pager: /private/vm/swapfile is available again.
Nov  9 12:45:47 mendelssohn mach: vnode_pager: /private/vm/swapfile is full.
Nov  9 12:45:47 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo waking
Nov  9 12:46:10 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo sleeping: RPC: Timed out
Nov  9 12:48:30 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo waking
Nov  9 12:49:01 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo sleeping: RPC: Timed out
     .
     .more of the same
     .
Nov  9 12:58:16 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo waking
Nov  9 12:58:30 mendelssohn lookupd[66]: netinfo sleeping: RPC: Timed out

I gave up and rebooted here.

What's going on?

Thanks.

Shu-Wie

Shu-Wie F Chen                                  Department of Computer Science
swfc@cs.columbia.edu                            Columbia University

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (11/11/89)

In article <SWFC.89Nov9104448@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu> swfc@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu (Shu-Wie F Chen) writes:

>My NeXT machine has been hanging recently.  It seems that my swapfile grows
>to my high watermark of 80Mbytes and then thrashes(?) to death.

>What's going on?

Yes, your machine is thrashing to death.  You must be running some program
with a severe memory leak (unfortunately, virtual memory systems tend to
allow these to run for long times).  If you notice your swapfile is large,
launch a Shell and try something like "ps aux"  Look under the VSIZE column
(virtual size) for processes with huge virtual sizes.  What to do next will
depend on what you find.
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Manager, System Software

carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (11/14/89)

In article <SWFC.89Nov9104448@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu> swfc@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu (Shu-Wie F Chen) writes:

>My NeXT machine has been hanging recently.  It seems that my swapfile grows
>to my high watermark of 80Mbytes and then thrashes(?) to death.  Basically,
>I couldn't do anything with my windows (I just get the little disk icon as
>the mouse pointer) and I couldn't login from another machine.

I'm trying to avoid this hanging by (1) setting the hiwater mark
(w/ mach-swapon) and (2) NFS mounting another swap file.  I'll
let you know what happens.

John

carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) (11/15/89)

In article <613@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> carlson@lance.tis.llnl.gov (John Carlson) writes:
>I'm trying to avoid this hanging by (1) setting the hiwater mark
>(w/ mach-swapon) and (2) NFS mounting another swap file.  I'll
>let you know what happens.

Here's what I did:

(1)  Created /etc/swaptab.local
(2)  added
mach_swapon -v -f /etc/swaptab.local -a 		> /dev/console 2>&1
to /etc/rc.local

	-- This did not seem to work until I sh'ed /etc/rc.local by hand.
		Nothing echoed on start up.  When I sh'ed by hand, it
		did echo correctly.

(3) Made appropriate changes to /etc/exports file on a Sun.

This seemed to work fine for a while (I saw the remote disk light up a few
times!), but when I logged in this morning, the system froze when the NeXT
dock symbol came up.  After trying several mechanisms (Command-Command-`,
Command-`, Power Off) I did an Alternate-Left Command *, which rebooted
the system.

John Carlson
carlson@tis.llnl.gov

swfc@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu (Shu-Wie F Chen) (11/15/89)

>In article <SWFC.89Nov9104448@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu> swfc@mendelssohn.cs.columbia.edu (Shu-Wie F Chen) writes:
>>
>>My NeXT machine has been hanging recently.  It seems that my swapfile grows
>>to my high watermark of 80Mbytes and then thrashes(?) to death.
>>
>>What's going on?
>
>Yes, your machine is thrashing to death.  You must be running some program
>with a severe memory leak (unfortunately, virtual memory systems tend to
>allow these to run for long times).  If you notice your swapfile is large,
>launch a Shell and try something like "ps aux"  Look under the VSIZE column
>(virtual size) for processes with huge virtual sizes.  What to do next will
>depend on what you find.
>--
>Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
>Manager, System Software
>NeXT, Inc.
>avie@NeXT.COM

Well, we have found the program with the severe memory leak.  It seems
to be lookupd.  Currently, it has a VSIZE of 45.5M, up from 40M of
three hours ago.  This "phenomena" has also been observed on another NeXT.

I had been told by jgreely that this is YP-related and is a known problem.

1. What is the bug/problem
2. When will it be fixed
3. Is there a temporary fix besides rebooting every couple of days or
not running YP

Thanks.

~swfc