[comp.sys.next] Problems with setting time in Preferences and crontab

mahesh@ithiliencc.nd.edu (Mahesh Subramanya) (11/20/89)

Subject: Problems with Setting Time in Preferences
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next

Preferences is starting to go really wild on me.  I have stripped the
setuid bit from the app to prevent other people from mucking around.
NOW, I have this problem :=>

1)  If I set the date using the 'date' command, it doesn't get set
   in the "clock" in Preferences
2)  If I change the date in the "clock", and promptly hide the app
   the clock freezes at that time.  To restart teh clock (as seen on
   the icon), I have to bring backt eh Pref window and click on Set.
   However, using the date command shows the proper time.
3) If I change the tiume on the "clock" and select some other Pref
   (such as the Keyboard), and then hide the app, the clock on the
   icon works, and so does the date command
4) Meanwhile, crontab has gone haywire, and is executing lines based
   on some intricate rule of its own that I can not fathom.  I believe
   it has something to do with the problem with Pref.

If anybody has seen this before, or has ANY idea as to what is wrong,
please mail me at    mahesh@darwin.cc.nd.edu, or  ndmath!mahesh.
Since crontab has gone bonkers, my news feed is also very iffy.

Thanx in advance
Mahesh Subramanya
Office of Univ. Computing
University of Notre Dame