[comp.sys.next] Signal.h lost functions

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (11/22/89)

Another report from the field describes some lost functionality in 1.0
that used to be present in 0.9. The effected file is below and although
Avie has commented that the file was cleaned up, it was perhaps made
TOO clean:

In the transition from 0.9 to 1.0 it appears that some useful defines
in /usr/include/sys/signal.h have disappeared.  In addition to the
signal code there is a machine-specific code giving more detailed info
about the signal (eg., is a SIGFPE a zero divide problem, integer overflow,
etc.).  These have disappeared from the include files and I can't find them.
Is this a just a bug or does NeXT intend that people not write signal
handlers?

The "head" of the signal.h file mentions <machine/signal.h> but where is
this file?! I cannot find it anywhere?? Any ideas?

/*
 * HISTORY
 * 21-May-89  Avadis Tevanian, Jr. (avie) at NeXT, Inc.
 *	Purged all crud that had accumulated in this file.  Machine specific
 *	definitions now go in <machine/signal.h> (including sigcontext).
 */

 *
 *	@(#)signal.h	7.1 (Berkeley) 6/4/86
 */

#include <machine/signal.h>

#ifndef	NSIG
#define NSIG	32

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

avie@wb1.cs.cmu.edu (Avadis Tevanian) (11/23/89)

In article <9339@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> rogerj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) writes:

>In addition to the
>signal code there is a machine-specific code giving more detailed info
>about the signal (eg., is a SIGFPE a zero divide problem, integer overflow,
>etc.).  These have disappeared from the include files and I can't find them.

We (I) deleted all of those machine-specific codes because we do not support
them.  You can of course still write signal handlers, you just can't
distinguish between some of the types of errors.

>The "head" of the signal.h file mentions <machine/signal.h> but where is
>this file?! I cannot find it anywhere?? Any ideas?

It's in /usr/include/machine/signal.h.
--
Avadis Tevanian, Jr.    (Avie)
Manager, System Software