[comp.sys.next] dwrite Mail / ps4014+lpr

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/25/89)

Has anybody succeeded in changed the font in the Mailer
with dwrite? I.e.

	dwrite Mail Font Symbol

does nothing for me.

I also get occasional problems when trying to print PS
files generated by ps4014. The printer just seems to die
completely. (The file given to ps4014 was created by SAS
on another computer; ps4014 is quite happy to convert it.)

/ivo	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu	= [128.97.74.50]
	iwelch@agsm.ucla.edu
	phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (11/27/89)

In article <6403@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Has anybody succeeded in changed the font in the Mailer
>with dwrite? I.e.
>	dwrite Mail Font Symbol
>does nothing for me.

The Font default was renamed NXFont in 1.0.  Thus

	dwrite Mail NXFont Symbol

should work.  This sort of name change occured to many other Application
defaults (FontSize -> NXFontSize, etc).

Ali

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (11/28/89)

In article <12887@polya.Stanford.EDU>, ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) writes...

+In article <6403@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
+	dwrite Mail NXFont Symbol
+
+should work.  This sort of name change occured to many other Application
+defaults (FontSize -> NXFontSize, etc).
+
+ Ali

Thanks for your and other people's notes. I mistakenly looked
at 0.9 documentation. I also wonder what NX stands for, and why
some variables prefix by it, whereas others do not.

The problem with ps4014 displays 2 bugs. (1) It outputs
(reproducibly) incorrect postscript code. (2) This incorrect
code stops the printer queue. Users should not be able to kill
the printer queue by sending garbage to it.

/ivo	ivo@[128.97.74.50] = next.agsm.ucla.edu

rca@brunix (Ronald C.F. Antony) (11/28/89)

I guess that NX stands short for NeXT. The reason is probably to
distinguish NeXT-specific and/or standard variables from
application specific stuff.

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw

dml@esl.com (Denis Lynch) (11/28/89)

In article <6403@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

   Has anybody succeeded in changed the font in the Mailer
   with dwrite? I.e.

	   dwrite Mail Font Symbol

   does nothing for me.

The correct defaults are
NXFont
NXFontSize
TocFont
TocFontSize

The defaults for each are Helvetica 12. I have my Toc left at
Helvetica 12, and NXFont at Courier 12. This makes it easier to read
the mail that comes from non-NeXT places. (As I'm sure you've noted,
Helvetica looks pretty terrible if the text is already wrapped!).

The names changed in 1.0, apparently to let everybody use a global
NXFont and Size default.

BTW, the easiest way to do this is to use Mail's Font menu. If you are
positioned in the TOC, it changes the TOC defaults, and if you're
reading a message it changes the NXFont default.

Denis Lynch
ESL, Inc.

rbeach@csm9a.UUCP (Captain Entropy) (11/28/89)

	Is there any sort of list of all, or most, of the default names
that you can set (fonts, fontsizes, window positions, ect)?  I too
noticed that a number of the names had been changed, and found some of
them (like the terminal font and font size), but even under 0.8 and
0.9 I never was able to find a list of these beasts.
	Is going through the manuals for the aplication we are interested in
the only way to find these, or is there a list that is easily overlooked?

	Richard Beach.
		(a man without a .sig file)