[comp.sys.next] Anybody got a scrolling non-text view?

sl150040@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (11/29/89)

We need to get some rudimentary music graphics going and would like to use
Sonata font (sensible enough, I should think).  Before I go and create a
custom scrolling object that allows PS font characters to be overlayed
atop each other, has anyone created something like this they'd be
willing to share?

Thanks.

Eric J. Isaacson (the other)   Bitnet: isaacso@iuaqua
2631 East 2nd St. #10        Internet: sl150040@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47401-5379      UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!silver!sl150040
< I am NOT the author of A86 and other outstanding software...I wish I were...>

wjs@fred.cs.washington.edu (William Shipley) (11/29/89)

In article <30423@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl150040@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) writes:
>We need to get some rudimentary music graphics going and would like to use
>Sonata font (sensible enough, I should think).  Before I go and create a
>custom scrolling object that allows PS font characters to be overlayed
>atop each other, has anyone created something like this they'd be
>willing to share?

I've created a custom view that scrolls, and based on my experience it SOUNDS
like you're asking the wrong question.

That is, you should be creating a subclass of view that displays Sonata
characters as you please, and then put that view in a ClipView via the
class's setDocView method.

This gives you scrollbars and scrolling on your view for free.

-william shipley
next guru wanna-be

PS: The view I scrolled displayed a dungeon.  Yes, you guessed it, I'm writing
a graphical nethack for the NeXT.  See it Summer '90.