[net.followup] net.general

nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) (08/06/85)

I seem to have ruffled a few feathers with my statement announcing
mod.general and the "abolition" of net.general.  Please permit an
explaination.

When I first heard about mod.general, the decision to create this
newsgroup was already made.  Mail was sent to all the current
moderators, asking for someone to moderate this group; I volunteered.

The description of mod.general included the line "to replace
net.general."  For that reason, I stated that I would "abolish
net.general in the near future."  That statement seemed to elicit
quite a reaction; therefore net.general will remain in place for
the time being.

mod.general will also remain in place (if you do not have the group,
you should).  I will accept nearly anything, except that posted
inappropriately, or that that is libelous.  Two good examples I
have seen recently have been calls for papers and the announcement
of a new department head at UNC.

--
James C Armstrong, Jnr.   ihnp4!abnji!nyssa

"Have you no women beyond the stars?"
"I see, You have a primary and secondary reproductive cycle.  It is an
inefficient system; you should chnage it."
-Who said it, what episode?

bob@plus5.UUCP (Bob Simpson) (08/08/85)

In article <784@abnji.UUCP>, nyssa@abnji.UUCP (nyssa of traken) writes:
(With excerpts from other places)
> When I first heard about mod.general, the decision to create this newsgroup
> was already made.
>
> The description of mod.general included the line "to replace net.general."
> For that reason, I stated that I would "abolish net.general in the near
> future."  That statement seemed to elicit quite a reaction; therefore
> net.general will remain in place for the time being.

> ... but final decision on abolishing net.general now awaits reconsideration
> by the moderators.

	I thought that the charter of the moderated groups was to run
	restricted publication newsgroups.  I don't see how this gives the
	moderators a mandate to interfere with the functioning of a general
	newsgroup.  I don't consider a decision by this group to be valid or
	binding in any way.

	nyssa's statements imply that decisions about the management of the net
	are to be handled by a small number of self appointed "volunteers".  I
	don't believe that this is a good idea, and I certainly don't remember
	relinquishing my prerogatives to the moderators or any other group.

> The difference between mod.general and net.announce will be that net.announce
> will be for news about the net, mod.general will be for news from the world,
> at least that is how I see it.

	I don't see the conflict in the two charters, and I certainly don't see
	enough traffic to warrant splitting the groups.  If there isn't a clear
	idea of what mod.general is to concern itself with, why do we want to
	create it?  (I consider this to be a separate subject from the killing
	of net.general.)

	By the way, who are the faceless people who sent the "kill net.general"
	message and asked the moderators to take the responsibility for
	creating mod.general?  I think that they would like to leap to their
	defense on this issue...
--
	Bob Simpson
USPS	Plus Five Computer Services

UUCP	..!{ihnp4,cbosgd,seismo}!plus5!bob

	The opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not
	necessarily represent the opinions of Plus Five Computer Services,
	its management, employees, stockholders, subsidiaries, affiliates,
	or related entities.