[comp.sys.next] ROM Monitor exception message

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (12/01/89)

Twice when I have powered up my NeXT lately I have been
greeted with a ROM Monitor window and the message:

Exception #11 (0x2c) at 0x2212

What's going wrong here?  So far I have been able
to turn the machine off, restart it, and the sytem comes
up normally.  But this obviously shouldn't be happening.
Has anyone had a similar problem?  Does anyone
know what exception #11 is?  I've searched around in
the Digital Librarian but haven't been able to find any
explanation of error messages.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuphil.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

sl150040@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (Eric J. Isaacson) (12/02/89)

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) writes:

>Twice when I have powered up my NeXT lately I have been
>greeted with a ROM Monitor window and the message:

>Exception #11 (0x2c) at 0x2212

>What's going wrong here?  So far I have been able
>to turn the machine off, restart it, and the sytem comes
>up normally.  But this obviously shouldn't be happening.
>Has anyone had a similar problem?  Does anyone
>know what exception #11 is?  I've searched around in
>the Digital Librarian but haven't been able to find any
>explanation of error messages.  Any help would be appreciated.

Same story here.  It's happened three times in the last two months.
Could it be an inadvertent tap with the foot while things are getting
going?  (We've got our cube in a tight space on the floor.)

Eric J. Isaacson (the other)   Bitnet: isaacso@iuaqua
2631 East 2nd St. #10        Internet: sl150040@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
Bloomington, IN  47401-5379      UUCP: {ames,rutgers,att}!iuvax!silver!sl150040
< I am NOT the author of A86 and other outstanding software...I wish I were...>

dtgcube (Edward Jung) (12/02/89)

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) writes:
   >Has anyone had a similar problem?  Does anyone
   >know what exception #11 is?  I've searched around in
   >the Digital Librarian but haven't been able to find any
   >explanation of error messages.  Any help would be appreciated.

Check the signals and exceptions in the signal(3C) man page and/or
the /usr/include/sys/signal.h header file.  I believe exception 11
is segmentation violation.

No idea why you are getting it, though...

--
Edward Jung                             The Deep Thought Group, L.P.
BIX: ejung                                      3400 Swede Hill Road