[comp.sys.next] how to do NFS between a SUN 4 and a cube

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (12/02/89)

HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!! HELP!!!

SetUp: my cube and our dept SUN 4 ethernetted, I am the only user of my
cube, whereas the whole dept shares the SUN 4.

Want: I want NFS set up between my cube and the SUN 4 so I could mount the
SUN 4 files on the cube as a subdirectory.

Problem: Our computer guys tell me that this is impossible because then I
would become a superuser on the SUN 4 automatically which is of course
a no-no.

Question: Are those computer guys correct? Is it possible for me to have NFS?
If possible, what has to be done?

For simplicity, my directory on the cube is /0/nevai and on the SUN my
directory is /n/function/0/nevai.

Please be gentle with your answers, I am a mathematician and only an amateur
in the cube-unix business.

Please email answer to nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             1-(614)-292-5310.office@ans.machine
231 West Eighteenth Avenue            1-(614)-292-4975.department
Columbus, OH 43210-1174               1-(614)-292-3317.secretary
The United States of America          1-(614)-459-5615.fax

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/03/89)

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) writes:

>Want: I want NFS set up between my cube and the SUN 4 so I could mount the
>SUN 4 files on the cube as a subdirectory.

>Problem: Our computer guys tell me that this is impossible because then I
>would become a superuser on the SUN 4 automatically which is of course
>a no-no.

Tell them to RTFM.

>Question: Are those computer guys correct? Is it possible for me to have NFS?
>If possible, what has to be done?

I can't imagine why they would say that. It is a trivial matter to do
what you ask. Tell them to take a look at "exports","exportfs" and
"mount" in the man pages. That might refresh their memory.

You need to explicity state (in /etc/exports) that a certain machine
can have superuser priveleges on a remote filesystem. The one hole I
see is if you decide to be mean and...

1) make a new user with a uid and gid which are the same as one on the
	Sun4
2) delete all their files

You wouldn't do that would you?

Chris