[comp.sys.next] NeXT price on campus

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (11/30/89)

The Price of the NeXT cube with basic configuration of:

	NeXT computer
	8 meg of RAM
	Mega Pixel display
	NeXT keyboard
	NeXT mouse
	40 Meg  Accelerator hard drive
	256 Meg magneto-optical drive
	NeXT boudled Software

	Total Price$ = $6982

Wait-a-second...Isn't that the price of a cube of this configuration $6500
according to NeXT? Then why we have to pay about $500 more if we buy it from
the shop on the campus? (and was discount price for student!)

Is this my misunderstanding, or the shop is charging some *extra* for
themselves?

Chun
cyliao@wam.umd.edu

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (11/30/89)

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:

>The Price of the NeXT cube with basic configuration of:

>	[standard NeXT system]
>	NeXT boudled Software
	     ^^^^^^^
		I don't know about that though...

>	Total Price$ = $6982

>Wait-a-second...Isn't that the price of a cube of this configuration $6500
>according to NeXT? Then why we have to pay about $500 more if we buy it from
>the shop on the campus? (and was discount price for student!)

Damn friend you are lucky. The fine institution I attend (Univ o'
Texas @ Austin) charges $7200.00 for this configuration. Most
everywhere will charge for "service" and "support". (it is even fairly
good at UT)

Chris

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov29.230650.3206@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>Wait-a-second...Isn't that the price of a cube of this configuration $6500
>according to NeXT? Then why we have to pay about $500 more if we buy it from
>the shop on the campus? (and was discount price for student!)
>
>Is this my misunderstanding, or the shop is charging some *extra* for
>themselves?

ARGH!!! Here we go again!

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

cdouty@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Christopher Douty) (12/03/89)

In article <1989Nov29.230650.3206@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>The Price of the NeXT cube with basic configuration of:

>	Total Price$ = $6982

>Is this my misunderstanding, or the shop is charging some *extra* for
>themselves?

>Chun
>cyliao@wam.umd.edu

	Yes, the college store is charging some *extra* for themselves.  The
contract NeXT has with all the colleges it deals with allows them to charge
extra fees to cover internal cost and whatever else they want.  Where do you
think the shop staff's salaries come from.  I'm sure that similar provisions
exist in the contracts other computer manufacturers have with colleges but
we don't know at what price those companies are selling to the schools.
Don't complain too much, some places (like Stanford) have _really_ high
markups. #8^)

				Christopher Douty
			 cdouty@jarthur.claremont.edu

with STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  use STANDARD_DISCLAIMER;  "Gun control is being
with SILLY_QUOTE; use SILLY_QUOTE;                   able to hit your target"