[comp.sys.next] Is the NeXT Slow?

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) (11/29/89)

I had the chance to play with a NeXT machine a little.  It supposably had a 330
Meg disk installed so I assumed it wouldn't have the throughput problems that
some people have complained about.  However, when running the word processor
(WriteNow ?) I noticed that it took a very long time to load and that
scrolling and moving throught the document was very slow.  This surprised
me considering the amount of horsepower the NeXT machine is supposed to have.
When going to the bottom of the ducument, it took about 5-10 seconds to redraw
the screen.

Is word processing really this slow on the NeXT, or is WriteNow just a slow
word processor?  I'm used to a Mac II, and even when running Adode Type
Manager (their screen font scaling technology), text editing and program
launching is quite fast.  Does anyone have a good idea of why the NeXT was
so slow?

Steven Miller
Vancouver Division
Hewlett Packard

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (11/29/89)

stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) writes:

>Is word processing really this slow on the NeXT, or is WriteNow just a slow
>word processor?  I'm used to a Mac II, and even when running Adode Type
>Manager (their screen font scaling technology), text editing and program
>launching is quite fast.  Does anyone have a good idea of why the NeXT was
>so slow?

It is definitely WriteNow that is the problem. It is a VERY slow and
clunky program. They have cleaned it up alot but it is still not a
"hot" item in my opinion. I really hope T-Maker changes this in the
next release. Right now I'd rather use Edit in RTF mode to create the
document and then open that in WriteNow and paste in whatever pictures
I need. At least then I have some decent editing commands (at least
ones which are consistent with the emacs bindings prevalent in other
apps).

Chris

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (11/29/89)

in article <770002@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) says:

> Is word processing really this slow on the NeXT, or is WriteNow just a slow
> word processor?  I'm used to a Mac II, and even when running Adode Type
> Manager (their screen font scaling technology), text editing and program
> launching is quite fast.  Does anyone have a good idea of why the NeXT was
> so slow?

My guess would be that it's mainly either WriteNow, Display PostScript, or the
combination that's the slowdown.  Don't know what kind of screen you're driving
on the Mac II (the size is certainly a factor), but I'm regularly using a DTP
program with it's own scaled fonts (Gold Disk's Professional Page, which uses
Agfa/Compugraphic outline fonts) on an Amiga 2500/30 (25MHz 68030 system, a
little slower on memory reads than the NeXT) with a Moniterm Viking monitor
(1000x800 or 1000x1000, with 2 bitplanes), and everything is really nice and
fast.  The NeXT hardware should be capable of the same speeds, so it's gotta be
something obvious in the software.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

dennisg@kgw2.UUCP (Dennis Glatting) (11/30/89)

In article <770002@hpvcfs1.HP.COM>, stevem@hpvcfs1.HP.COM (Steve Miller) writes:
> Is word processing really this slow on the NeXT, or is WriteNow just a slow
> word processor?  I'm used to a Mac II, and even when running Adode Type
> Manager (their screen font scaling technology), text editing and program
> launching is quite fast.  Does anyone have a good idea of why the NeXT was
> so slow?
>
> Steven Miller
> Vancouver Division
> Hewlett Packard

the launch of applications that were written in Objective-C IS slow.  this
is because O-C has to dearchive its objects from disk.  O-C isn't the most
efficient language i've seen.  i have seen worse.  but that's the problem.
if you use sed, awk, grep and sh/csh things like that you'll not think
it's slow.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
 ..umbc3.umbc.edu!tron!kgw2!dennisg
      + Dennis P. Glatting
      + Xetron Corporation
      + Cincinnati, Ohio
      +  I want my own NeXT, 16 MB RAM,
      +    660 MB SCSI, NeXT Printer.
      +    Accepting Donations.
==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

rca@brunix (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/01/89)

> I noticed that it took a very long time to load and that
>scrolling and moving throught the document was very slow.  This surprised
>me considering the amount of horsepower the NeXT machine is supposed to have.
>When going to the bottom of the ducument, it took about 5-10 seconds to redraw
>the screen.

The time to start up the application is mostly due to the fact
that there are a lot of objects to be initialized or loaded in
from disk.

The time it takes to scroll down to the bottom of a document is
a question of how much the application buffers graphically.
As everything is presented in Postscript, it takes a while to
recalculate the graphics (there are no bitmap-fonts nor
approximations of postscript-fonts, it's the real thing but
this has it's price...)

Compared to X it is still fast :)

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@cogsci.bitnet

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/02/89)

rca@brunix (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

>The time to start up the application is mostly due to the fact
>that there are a lot of objects to be initialized or loaded in
>from disk.

It is significantly better with more memory. Less copying and allocation
on the one disk.

>As everything is presented in Postscript, it takes a while to
>recalculate the graphics (there are no bitmap-fonts nor
>approximations of postscript-fonts, it's the real thing but
>this has it's price...)

What is this then?

	nueces:/NextLibrary/Fonts/bitmap> ls
	total 519
	  34 Courier-Bold.bepf		   1 Lexi.bepf
	  35 Courier-BoldOblique.bepf	  33 Ohlfs.bepf
	  33 Courier-Oblique.bepf	  30 Symbol.bepf
	  33 Courier.bepf		  35 Times-Bold.bepf
	  etc .....

>Compared to X it is still fast :)

That's for sure....

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)
Play: chari@nueces.cactus.org (NeXT Mail)		(512/499-0475)
Also: chari@emx.utexas.edu

dtgcube (Edward Jung) (12/02/89)

rca@brunix (Ronald C.F. Antony) writes:

   >As everything is presented in Postscript, it takes a while to
   >recalculate the graphics (there are no bitmap-fonts nor
   >approximations of postscript-fonts, it's the real thing but
   >this has it's price...)

That is not true.  Display Postscript, as an optimization, supports bitmapped
fonts and a (rather) complex set of operations to map regular fonts (and their
spacings) to their bitmap representations.  On the NeXT machine, this is generally
done only at point sizes less than 24.  You do not *have* to have bitmapped fonts.

Adobe recently released some extensions to DPS concerning new bitmap spacing
caching and use operators (extensions to their existing ones).

A simple test to see the difference between bitmap and regular fonts on the
Cube is to use rotated text at a non-90 degree increment (map text to a circle,
for example).  This will force the use of the outline definitions.

--
Edward Jung                             The Deep Thought Group, L.P.
BIX: ejung                                      3400 Swede Hill Road

ed@DTG.COM (Edward Jung) (12/04/89)

In article <129@kgw2.UUCP>, dennisg@kgw2 (Dennis Glatting) writes:

>the launch of applications that were written in Objective-C IS slow.  this
>is because O-C has to dearchive its objects from disk.  O-C isn't the most
>efficient language i've seen.  i have seen worse.  but that's the problem.
>if you use sed, awk, grep and sh/csh things like that you'll not think
>it's slow.

Launching of Objective-C applications is slow.  Interface Builder
takes time to set up objects from its control file, but more
importantly, the entire Objective-C-style class run-time structure
must be created.  This requires initialization messaging, management
of the hierarchy, etc.  Contrast this with certain other hybrid object
languages where some of this is pushed to compile time.  Objective-C's
way of doing it offers some additional flexibility (like the ability
to change classes and hierarchy on the fly, and for other languages to
use the same run-time class system).

As of 1.0, the initialization messaging is performed lazily; classes
(and their superclasses) are initialized when called.  Previously all
classes were sent initialization messages at the start of the
application.  Of course you can still depend on superclass
initialization to occur before subclass initialization.

Sacrificing the run-time system, however, would cause the loss of many
of the "neat" features of the Cube.