[comp.sys.next] Artificial problems to sell "solutions"

In article <1989Dec5.020838.713@agate.berkeley.edu>
	izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>In article <5725@umd5.umd.edu> feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>>The question is why, on page seven of the "User's Reference" manual, does it
>>say "It's a good idea to turn off the computer if you don't expect to use it
>>for a long time, such as overnight."?  There is not so much as a single
>
>I completely agree with you on this.  I suppose they were just
>unsure about the reliability of the hard disks with the continuous
>operation.  I take it that the above statement is targeted only
>for users who use it as a stand-alone machine.

I'm still trying to figure out why there's a Power key on the
keyboard.  My conjecture is that it's there so some eeeevil
third party vendor can make Big Bucks selling "power locks" akin
to the gadgets that attach to desk telephones to make dialing
difficult.

Yes, I know about PowerOffDisabled.  It isn't foolproof.

					-=EPS=-
Q: What's the euphemism for someone who believes that computers are
   supposed to be turned off?
A: "Power User"