[comp.sys.next] Third Party Software Pricing

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (12/03/89)

This Friday we had a demo on some 3rd party software for the NeXT (Artisan
and others).  I asked the person from NeXT about the pricing of software,
eg. if it would be in the range of workstations' software ($1000's) or
personal computers ($100's).  He said that NeXT encourages third party
developers to treat the cube as a personal computer and to price their
products accordingly.

I found this reassuring for my main fear about buying a NeXT was in the
pricing of the software.  Now, one barrier is down, all I am waiting for
is third party software to be out.
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu - Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
		IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO READ SIGNATURES ...

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/04/89)

In article <21354@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>personal computers ($100's).  He said that NeXT encourages third party
>developers to treat the cube as a personal computer and to price their
>products accordingly.

Good for NeXT!  I always thought 'workstation' is a silly word.
NeXT Personal Computer is fine with me.  Let Sun and other vendors
indulge in workstation snobbery.

So, when Cray PC is coming out?

Izumi Ohzawa
izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

phd_jacquier@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (12/04/89)

>So, when is Cray PC coming out?

Yeeeeeeeeeees. Let's go for it ! Great concept.
That will help push down the prices of these 786's

Eric

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (12/04/89)

In article <1989Dec4.015422.21768@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>So, when Cray PC is coming out?

5 years if trends continue.  High end workstations-- DEC 3100, SPARC 370, 486/487-- sustain 4-5 MFLOPS = 0.1 CRAY-1S.   PCs have increased by factor of 10 eabout
every five years.  The 80960 and newest 70-MIP HP chip are almost CRAY-1S, but it
will be a while before there are decent compilers.

feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) (12/05/89)

In article <1989Dec4.015422.21768@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>In article <21354@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>>personal computers ($100's).  He said that NeXT encourages third party
>>developers to treat the cube as a personal computer and to price their
>>products accordingly.
>
>Good for NeXT!  I always thought 'workstation' is a silly word.
>NeXT Personal Computer is fine with me.  Let Sun and other vendors
>indulge in workstation snobbery.

Pricing software using the PC model may be a good thing, but considering the
NeXT a PC isn't.

The words "pc" and "workstation" have certain connotations associated with
them.  In general (in my fertile mind, at least), a pc is a single user,
single-tasking, computer, providing services primarily to the person sitting
at the keyboard.  It is the toaster of computers.  Not that that is bad, as
toasters are needed.  Workstations, on the other hand, are usually
multi-tasking, multi-user, networked computers, and provide services to
users on the network as well as the person at the keyboard.

The NeXT is a multi-user, multi-tasking workstation, which has a finely
crafted user interface that can make it appear to be a toaster to those who
would like to see it as such -- and a very nice toaster at that.  The
problem is that NeXT, itself, appears to be somewhat schizophrenic about
just what their computer is.

The NeXT, like other workstations, can provide many services to local as
well as networked users.  It can be used to send and receive electronic
mail, mount and export NFS file systems, be the source and target of remote
logins and file transfers, be a print server, etc.  All of these powerful,
important, workstation-type services require that the NeXT be turned on
(obvious, eh?).

The question is why, on page seven of the "User's Reference" manual, does it
say "It's a good idea to turn off the computer if you don't expect to use it
for a long time, such as overnight."?  There is not so much as a single
sentence discussing the cons of turning the NeXT off.  It might be
acceptable to turn off an isolated, non-networked, single-user NeXT, but
that is not the environment in which most of the computers are going to be
used.  It is not so much that this sentence will cause the end of the world,
but it is indicative of the toaster philosophy, and a much larger
problem.

NeXT continues to advertise electronic mail as one of the pluses of their
system, and their mail app is kinda cute, but have you ever tried sending
mail to or receiving mail from a system that isn't turned on?  If I were
trying to converse with another NeXT user on the other side of the world (or
at least a few time zones away) via email, perhaps over a flakey network,
and we both followed NeXT's instructions on powering down the machine
overnight, the window of opporunity might be such that we never get each
other's mail, or at least not get it in a timely manner.

The same PC/toaster mentality is probably responsible for the fact that the
NeXT won't reboot automatically after a power loss.  It makes using the NeXT
as a server a headache.  Buy a UPS, hope that you don't have any power
losses:-), or pay someone to run to around to all of the NeXTs on campus and
press the power key after a loss:-).  Ever try dialing into a NeXT after
a power failure?  I tied --  it wasn't very successful :-(

And then there's security.  If you lock up a toaster in a room, for the most
part, it is safe.  Unfortunately, the same is not true for a networked
workstation.  If only NeXT were directly on the Internet -- then, maybe,
they wouldn't be so qucik to flag me as a security weenie.

It's not just a design fault, it's a problem with the philosiphy of the
computer.  In their effort to hide that mean, nasty, UNIX workstation
underneath, and present a nice, friendly toaster facade, NeXT has
over-toasterized.

This has been a point of debate between some of us and NeXT since the early
days of 0.8 -- almost a year ago.  From 0.8 to 1.0, some of the
toaster-based problems have been removed (Thanks, NeXT!), but the philosophy
still remains.  I like my NeXT.  I like my workstation.  I like all of the
people at NeXT that I have met or conversed with.  Now if only they would
stop treating the NeXT like a toaster.

>Izumi Ohzawa
>izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

Sorry, Izumi, but you hit a nerve.

   Mark

In article <5725@umd5.umd.edu> feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>The NeXT is a multi-user, multi-tasking workstation, which has a finely
>crafted user interface that can make it appear to be a toaster to those who
>would like to see it as such -- and a very nice toaster at that.

We think so.  Especially when you've added another $6K or so to
NeXT's top-of-the-line package.  :-)

					-=EPS=-
			<eps@toaster.sfsu.edu>, among others

I didn't name this machine.  Honest.

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/05/89)

In article <5725@umd5.umd.edu> feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>In article <1989Dec4.015422.21768@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>>Good for NeXT!  I always thought 'workstation' is a silly word.
>>NeXT Personal Computer is fine with me.  Let Sun and other vendors
>>indulge in workstation snobbery.
>
>Pricing software using the PC model may be a good thing, but considering the
>NeXT a PC isn't.
>
>In general (in my fertile mind, at least), a pc is a single user,
>single-tasking, computer, providing services primarily to the person sitting
>at the keyboard.  It is the toaster of computers.  Not that that is bad, as
>toasters are needed.  Workstations, on the other hand, are usually
>multi-tasking, multi-user, networked computers, and provide services to
>users on the network as well as the person at the keyboard.

Yes, I know that is the usual definition, but to me ANY
computer that is primarily used by one person at a time IS
a personal computer.
Most of the Apps which make NeXT unique; WriteNow, Mathematica with
front end, Edit, Mail, FrameMaker, WorkSpace Manager can be used
by only one person at the console.
For these applications, NeXT is single-user.
So are Suns, Decs as far as the nice windowing applications are
concerned.  Thus, they are personal computers.
FTP, NFS, rlogin, mail services don't count
as multi-user to my eyes.

I just said the above in the context that computers for the 90's
will all be multi-tasking, and in the hope that this funny word
"workstation" will go away by then.

>The question is why, on page seven of the "User's Reference" manual, does it
>say "It's a good idea to turn off the computer if you don't expect to use it
>for a long time, such as overnight."?  There is not so much as a single

I completely agree with you on this.  I suppose they were just
unsure about the reliability of the hard disks with the continuous
operation.  I take it that the above statement is targeted only
for users who use it as a stand-alone machine.

Izumi Ohzawa
izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/06/89)

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>In article <5725@umd5.umd.edu> feldman@umd5.umd.edu (Mark Feldman) writes:
>>In article <1989Dec4.015422.21768@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>Yes, I know that is the usual definition, but to me ANY
>computer that is primarily used by one person at a time IS
>a personal computer.
>Most of the Apps which make NeXT unique; WriteNow, Mathematica with
>front end, Edit, Mail, FrameMaker, WorkSpace Manager can be used
>by only one person at the console.
>For these applications, NeXT is single-user.
>So are Suns, Decs as far as the nice windowing applications are
>concerned.  Thus, they are personal computers.
>FTP, NFS, rlogin, mail services don't count
>as multi-user to my eyes.

Exactly what aspect of the NeXT's application set is not multiuser. I
frequently (much to the chagrin of whoever is using the console) run
remote NeXT apps on a local NeXT (ever heard of the '-NXHost' option).
Of course, with any decent windowing system, you can do this (X for
instance).

Also, the school's encore I use does not have a windowing console and
the only people who use it usually rlogin to it. If there are 500
people on at any given time(ftp-ing, reading files on NFS mounted
filesystems and reading mail perhaps), I think it quaifies as
multi-user just like a NeXT qualifies as multi-user when there are two
people using it.

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)