[comp.sys.next] music was:Will the Next sell?

gene@ntvax.uucp (Gene De Lisa) (12/04/89)

In article <9865@zodiac.ADS.COM> jtn@ads.com (John Nelson) writes:

>I'm currently making a similar decision.  I need a machine that will
>support music applications.  The NeXT hardware was tailor made for
>musicians but wait a minute... where's the sequencers?  Where's the
>notation packages?  Where'is the editor/librarians etc etc.
>Sure, NeXT has music and sound objects that will let you write that
>stuff ... but nobody has written it yet.  Thus the Mac wins for
>existing software and functionality even though it lags in sexy
>hardware.

There have been quite a few music programs ported to the NeXT already.
(do you read this newgroup?)

If you just want to run MIDI stuff you don't need a NeXT; stay with your
toaster.  If you want to make music the NeXT wins.  The major problem is
that the NeXT is still too damn expensive.
--
Gene De Lisa
gene@dept.csci.unt.edu

You really don't need a clever quote here.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/07/89)

/ comp.sys.next / cbenda@unccvax.UUCP (carl m benda) / Dec  5, 1989 /
> As you may well know, it is possible to configure an XT with an
> ethernet adapter for under 1000 dollars..
> [...]
> So, just distribute the NeXT programs on PC or Mac disks, then
> use ether net to copyit to your NeXT machine, whats the problem?

Yeah!
  And for aesthetic reasons, we hide the XT (motherboard, Ethernet card,
and disk drive) inside a Cube.
  Then we write an RFLOPPYD.EXE program and invoke it from AUTOEXEC.BAT,
and write a /dev/fd driver that talks to it over the net.
  Then we optimize by avoiding MSDOS, and making an EEPROM with RFLOPPYD
in it.
  Then we optimize further by avoiding the Ethernet, and just running a
SCSI cable from the NeXT Cube to the disk drive in the second Cube.
  Then we optimize further by removing the XT's motherboard and Ethernet
card from the second Cube.

Look... if floppies are introduced to the NeXT, might as well do it right.

> whats the problem?

A PC networked to a NeXT is not part of The Common Denominator.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob