[comp.sys.next] Registered developer's...Jazz improv software

jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) (12/05/89)

I just wanted to relate my experience trying to become a registered
developer for NeXT...

I wrote them proposing to write a jazz improvisation program
which would interactively take the student through chord
theory, chord scale relationships, altered chords, synthetic
scales, poly-rythms, etc. It would display notated examples
which the user would be able to listen to by clicking on the
appropriate icon. I saw the NeXT machine as the perfect
machine to do this on since it has the built in DSP which
I would use for synthesis or sampling. I planned to use some
third party software and hardware to assist me. Digital ears,
a digital recording device would be used for digitizing, and
I planned to use Finale by Coda Music Software, to actually
notate the music, which I would save in EPS format.

I was disturbed to find out upon calling Coda, that there was
only a single person doing the port, and that the software
may not be finished for at least 12 months. At that point,
I figured I'd call Adobe and buy their Sonata font, which
would save me the trouble of designing my own musical noteheads,
flags, etc. Well Adobe told me that they were not sure if they
would be releasing any product for the NeXT. This amazed me,
of course since we all know by now that the NeXT uses Display
Postscript. It turns out that much of the hardware and software
in the NeXT catalog is vaporware at this point. Most of the
companies I called wouldn't even give me a ball park figure of
when their software would be ported to the NeXT. This trend
sounds amazingly like the OS/2 software catalog, which everyone
nominated for best fictional work of the year.

Anyway, my proposal was accepted by NeXT, and they indicated that I
would be able to buy the hardware at developer's prices as soon
as I took the $750.00 developer's course. Unfortunately, the
next course was Jan. 30th, which was over 2 months away. I didn't
want to wait that long to get started, so I offered to pay for
the course "up front". NeXT indicated that their policy was
firm, and that they couldn't make any exceptions. In addition,
I explained that I had gotten a 1% discount on the interest rate
of the loan that I had financed in order to being my development,
and the bank would not give me the money until I had received
confirmation of the order from NeXT. NeXT offered to take the
money now, and send me the machine in 60-70 days but that hardly
seemed acceptable. Well, I wanted to start now !!! What developer
wants to tread water for 2 months ? I tried calling different people
at NeXT to plead my case, but I never got any calls returned. It
seems this the small start up company, which likes to portray the
"mischievous bad boy, no tie look", has some polices that are akin
to IBM, DEC, and yes, even SUN. They told me that I was "welcome"
to buy the system at Businessland, and start development !

Oh, well. I "settled" for a 12.5 mips SPARCstation 1.
The Sun does not have a DSP of course, but with all the
OEMS liscensing the SPARC chip and SunOS, it's only a matter of time
before we start seeing cheap SPARC hardware and software. Apparently
more SPARCS are sold every months then have ever sold of the NeXT
machine. The Sun does have a CODEC 8k digital voice chip (just like
the NeXT) so it can be used for voice mail. Anyway, at least I got
a machine. The price I paid for the SPARC was just a little more
than the educational price for the NeXT machine. The SPARC will come
down in price too, when the SPARCstation 2 machines come out.
-Jaz
jaz@calvin.icd.ab.com

baffico@adobe.COM (Tom Baffico) (12/06/89)

In article <972@abvax.UUCP> jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) writes:

>I figured I'd call Adobe and buy their Sonata font, which
>would save me the trouble of designing my own musical noteheads,

>jaz@calvin.icd.ab.com

[This info has already been posted, I apologize to those who have
already seen it.]

Sonata is available as part of the NeXT Developer Font Kit. Included in
the font kit are:

A normal character set text face:
Stone Serif
Stone Serif Italic
Stone Serif Semibold
Stone Serif Semibold Italic
Stone Serif Bold
Stone Serif Bold Italic

Display and script faces with special character sets:
Stencil
Hobo
Brush Script

And the musical notation face:
Sonata

The optical disk contains PostScript outlines, screen fonts, and AFM
files for each of the above typefaces. This software is to be used
only for development and testing, but our commercial typeface packages
will begin shipping shortly. The price of the font kit is $100.

If you need more info on the Font Kit or would like to get the order
form, contact me at the following email address or phone number:

Tom Baffico
Account Program Manager
baffico@adobe.com
415 962-2027

jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) (12/06/89)

I wanted to clear up some discrepancies from an earlier article I
posted regarding my dealings with NeXT.

Regarding returning phone calls, I implied that they never returned
phone calls. In fact, they did return some of my calls, but there
were times when they must have been very busy that several days
would go by without getting a call returned. I was trying to
depict a chronological order, and after reading it again, I
realized that that aspect of the article was misleading. I should
also mention that when I did talk to people at NeXT, they were
very friendly and as helpful as they could be regarding my
situation.

-jaz@calvin.icd.ab.com

rock@lighthouse.com (Roger Rock Rosner) (12/06/89)

In article <972@abvax.UUCP> jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) writes:

>I figured I'd call Adobe and buy their Sonata font, which
>would save me the trouble of designing my own musical noteheads,
>flags, etc. Well Adobe told me that they were not sure if they
>would be releasing any product for the NeXT.

I have Sonata on my NeXT right now (and yes, it's beta).  I called
Adobe today.  The rep said their first type library for the NeXT will
probably be released this month.  The rep also added, "Illustrator
will take a while longer.  Don't look for it first quarter."

>It turns out that much of the hardware and software in the NeXT
>catalog is vaporware at this point. Most of the companies I called
>wouldn't even give me a ball park figure of when their software would
>be ported to the NeXT.

Most unfair.  Call us and we'll only give you a vague notion of our
release date.  And I know damn well we're working like crazy on the
NeXT.  This is how people avoid creating vaporware.  (Vaporware, by
any reasonable definition, is when the company says (or implies) the
product is shipping when it isn't yet done.)

>Anyway, my proposal was accepted by NeXT, and they indicated that I
>would be able to buy the hardware at developer's prices as soon as I
>took the $750.00 developer's course. Unfortunately, the next course
>was Jan. 30th, which was over 2 months away.

I have to agree with Jack here.  This policy stinks.  If "naive" users
can get the machine without attending a course, why can't we?
Programming it is *easier* than programming other machines, remember?

>Apparently more SPARCS are sold every months then have ever sold of
>the NeXT machine.

Does it occur to you that Suns have been on the market for years?
That they're the biggest workstation manufacturer in the world?  Do
you have a point?  Or is this another of those "they can't succeed
because they're new" arguments?  Have we reached the end of
technological development?  (Why do I keep feeling like this is 1984
again?  "The Mac can't succeed.  There are more PC's sold in a month
than Macs exist.")

>The price I paid for the SPARC was just a little more
>than the educational price for the NeXT machine.

And what did you get?  A fast machine that has little productivity
software, no dsp, no d/a of note, tiny drives, and a really nasty user
interface.  Great deal.

Roger Rosner

The above is a personal opinion in no way endorsed by my employers.

jtn@zodiac.ADS.COM (John Nelson) (12/08/89)

In article <972@abvax.UUCP> jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) writes:

>I planned to use Finale by Coda Music Software, to actually
>notate the music, which I would save in EPS format.
>
>I was disturbed to find out upon calling Coda, that there was
>only a single person doing the port, and that the software
>may not be finished for at least 12 months. At that point,
>I figured I'd call Adobe and buy their Sonata font, which
>would save me the trouble of designing my own musical noteheads,
>flags, etc. Well Adobe told me that they were not sure if they
>would be releasing any product for the NeXT. This amazed me,

This amazes me too.  Adobe is developing and licencing products for
the Mac (Apple has decided to develope their own scalable fonts
instead of using Adobe Postscript fonts) but not for NeXT (which uses
a licenced display Postscript kernel)???

I also called Coda software to find out when Finale' would be released
for the NeXT.  The person I talked to said they hadn't even begun
development but they were taking names to see how much interest there
was.  Why are we getting two entirely different answers?

I called MOTU to see when performer would be available for neXT and at
least MOTU *is* developing something.  They have no idea however when
performer will be available which tells me that they really AREN'T
committed to developing anything.  You don't begin a deveopment effort
without some idea of when you expect to complete development.

I guess these companies would rather make money selling their existing
ports than enter into expensive development efforts to port their
software to other machines.

I STRONGLY suggest that NeXT look into these problems.  I realize that
the machine is new and thus software is scarce, but the almost
schitzophrenic response of software developrs doesn't bode well.  NeXT
should send out a newsletter at the very least, to inform it's
customers and dispell these rumors.

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com
1500 Wilson Blvd #512; Arlington, VA 22209-2401		(703) 243-1611

edwardm@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Edward McClanahan) (12/09/89)

>                                                      (Vaporware, by
> any reasonable definition, is when the company says (or implies) the
> product is shipping when it isn't yet done.)

Another form of Vaporware is when a company announces a product simply
to test the waters and see if there is enough interest to actually
produce it.  This is kind of like White House Aids "leaking" information
to manipulate the media.  A recent president will go down in history as
being a master at this "technique" :-) :-) :-).

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company
  Mail Stop 47UE              -or-     edwardm%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
  19447 Pruneridge Avenue
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Phone: (408)447-5651