[comp.sys.next] dump onto OD

wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) (12/08/89)

Has anyone had success with using dump to backup onto optical disk?  If I
specify optical media as documented in dump(8):

# dump 0uno
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Thu Dec  7 17:15:55 1989
  DUMP: Date of the last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rsd0a (/) to /dev/rxt0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 239817 optical disk blocks on 0.98 optical disk(s).
  DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Cannot open tape.  DO you want to retry the open?: ("y
es" or "no") yes
  DUMP: NEEDS ATTENTION: Cannot open tape.  DO you want to retry the open?: ("y
es" or "no")

... etc.  So apparently specifying "o" as part of the key doesn't work as
advertised.  I was able to rdump to the optical drive on a different NeXT, but
is there any way to get it to work locally?

Scott Lindsey     |"Cold and misty morning. I heard a warning borne in the air
Claris Corp.      |    About an age of power when no one had an hour to spare"
ames!claris!wombat| DISCLAIMER: These are not the opinions of Claris, Apple,
wombat@claris.com |    StyleWare, the author, or anyone else living or Dead.

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (12/08/89)

In article <WOMBAT.89Dec7172200@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Has anyone had success with using dump to backup onto optical disk?  If I

I typically use something like:

	dump 0fsd - 100000 6250 | compress > /OpticalDisk/full_backup.Z

and then:

	zcat /OpticalDisk/full_backup.Z | restore rf -

	(or "restore xf -", depending on mood and purpose)

One of the problem is that my "tape length" and "density" parameters
are not at all tuned, and probably can't be well tuned if I'm running
the dump through compress.  If you know the approximate length
(maybe by trial and error) you could probably even back up a 660 meg
drive onto multiple OD's.  The advantage of what I'm doing above
though is that it is easy to save multiple partial backups on a
single OD and have them all quickly accessible.  The disadvantage
is that if you are unlucky, you'll run out of space on the disk
and dump will tell you that the entire dump is aborted.  Then you
have to guess again about the length and density and try again.

gerrit

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/09/89)

/ comp.sys.next / gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) / Dec  8, 1989 /
In article <WOMBAT.89Dec7172200@claris.com> wombat@claris.com (Scott Lindsey) writes:
>Has anyone had success with using dump to backup onto optical disk?  If I

I typically use something like:

	dump 0fsd - 100000 6250 | compress > /OpticalDisk/full_backup.Z

and then:

	zcat /OpticalDisk/full_backup.Z | restore rf -
----------

If your hard drive is all on one partition (which is the way it comes from
NeXT), won't this restore be writing over files that should not be
disturbed?  In particular:
	/private/vm/swapfile
	/dev/* (I'm not sure there's harm in this)
	/etc/restore

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (12/09/89)

In article <130042@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) asks if
my "restore rf -" might not overwrite some critical files.

In reality, you normally only use "restore rf" for full restores, in
which case you have probably done a newfs before the restore.  There
are also a few other complications, like where is your kernel at that
time - I would probably net boot the machine in question which isn't
always an option.

However, what I should have written is a "zcat blah | restore if -"
which is what I have actually used more often, allowing you to do
an interactive restore of the files you really want (if you don't want
them all).

gerrit

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/09/89)

/ comp.sys.next / gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) / Dec  8, 1989 /
> [about doing a full restore from an OD to the only partition on the hard
> disk]  There
> are also a few other complications, like where is your kernel at that
> time - I would probably net boot the machine in question [...]

Is it possible to boot off an OD, then restore off another?  That is, can
you boot off the OD, then mount and newfs /dev/sd0a, then restore from
/dev/od1a, after ejecting the disk you booted from?

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) (12/10/89)

In article <130043@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) asks if it
is possible to boot off an OD, then restore off another.

Theoretically, yes.  Practically, probably not.  If you are doing
a full restore, I'd guess something just over 2 quadrillion disk swaps.
I sure don't have the patience for that...

gerrit

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/10/89)

/ comp.sys.next / gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) / Dec  9, 1989 /
If you are doing a full restore, I'd guess something just over 2
quadrillion disk swaps [to boot off an OD, then restore off another].
----------

Maybe putting everything into the root partition wasn't such a good idea
after all...

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

olson@brutus.cs.uiuc.edu (Robert Olson) (12/11/89)

In article <5782@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> gerrit@nova.cc.purdue.edu (Gerrit) writes:
>Theoretically, yes.  Practically, probably not.  If you are doing
>a full restore, I'd guess something just over 2 quadrillion disk swaps.
>I sure don't have the patience for that...

You can say that again. I tried it once ... was swapping disks every few
seconds until I gave it up (after about 3 swaps).

bob
Bob Olson			University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign
Internet: olson@cs.uiuc.edu	UUCP: {uunet|convex|pur-ee}!uiucdcs!olson