[comp.sys.next] New IBM workstations running NeXTStep?

amthor@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Geoffrey Amthor) (12/11/89)

This has come up before, but I've yet to hear a definitive answer:  Will
IBM's new workstation line (to be introduced early next year) run NeXTStep?
I suspect that if it did, the NeXT application software picture would
greatly improve, considering the presumably large user base that a major
IBM line would draw.  But the question is, in the light of IBM and Microsoft
recently cozying up after almost splitting up the relationship, is IBM willing
to gamble hurting that relationship and confusing its SAA marketing picture by
supporting the technically superior product that is NeXTStep?  And if IBM
supports NeXTStep, will it do so enthusiastically?

Please, no IBM flames.  NeXT needs IBM's marketing credibility.

(Ali & Avi: can *you* share IBM's plans?)

I'm also curious about the timing of upcoming announcements.  Anybody have a
good idea when to expect the IBM introduction?  I have a hunch that NeXT's
expected early '90 announcement of the color NeXT is good ol' IBM FUD--or
fear, uncertainty and doubt.  Just when IBM's rolling out the new line, out
comes NeXT with what it will profess is a better product.  It probably *will*
be better than IBM's, but the problem is, when will NeXT's product be
delivered?  1991?

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (12/12/89)

According to what I have been told by reliable sources, the new IBM
workstation will run NeXTStep as an option.  It is unclear if there
will be an additional charge to add NeXTStep to the OSF motif environment
that is already there.  The new IBM RT could be a real boost to NeXTStep
if it is a good, aggressively priced machine.  I fear that the AS400
people are going to kill it before it can take a breath.

Steve.
smb@datran2.uunet.uu.net

langz@asylum.SF.CA.US (Lang Zerner) (12/13/89)

In article <286@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> amthor@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Geoffrey Amthor) writes:
>...is IBM willing to gamble ... confusing its SAA marketing picture by
>supporting the technically superior product that is NeXTStep?

This is not exactly a flame on IBM (Geoff requested restraint), but when
introducing a new technology IBM typically dumps several solutions onto the
market and picks up the winner.  This helps them to more often than others
"create the new standard," since they create *most* standards and use the ones
that hold.

--
Be seeing you...
--Lang Zerner