[comp.sys.next] Vacuum Cleaner

mike@relgyro.stanford.edu (Mike Macgirvin) (12/13/89)

	Just thought I would pass a word of warning on to all you
floptical users out there. Last week an optical disk here got totally
trashed. This disk has been sitting in the cube for about two months.
After pulling the thing out, I noticed that there was a major layer
of dust on the thing. It seems that the drive slot sucks in dirt from
all over the room, and deposits it on the optical surface. I'm not talking
about a few particles here, I mean a LAYER. Anyway, we're backed up,
so it wasn't a great loss. It didn't come back after a freon spray,
but after the freon treatment I was able to reformat it at least.
	As with any media, the only insurance is redundancy. I'm wondering
about taping a little plastic cover over the drive slot....

+  Mike Macgirvin              Relativity Gyroscope Experiment (GP-B)    +
+  mike@relgyro.stanford.edu   (36.64.0.50)                              +

In article <394@helens.Stanford.EDU>, mike@relgyro.stanford.edu
	(Mike Macgirvin) writes:
> After pulling the thing out, I noticed that there was a major layer
> of dust on the thing. It seems that the drive slot sucks in dirt from
> all over the room, and deposits it on the optical surface.

I've heard that this is only a problem on earlier cubes; they
reversed the fan direction in the later ones.

					-=EPS=-

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/13/89)

eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:

>In article <394@helens.Stanford.EDU>, mike@relgyro.stanford.edu
>	(Mike Macgirvin) writes:
>> After pulling the thing out, I noticed that there was a major layer
>> of dust on the thing. It seems that the drive slot sucks in dirt from
>> all over the room, and deposits it on the optical surface.

>I've heard that this is only a problem on earlier cubes; they
>reversed the fan direction in the later ones.

Well NeXT? How about telling us how to get upgraded. I have a serious
dust problem that I think this would cure.

Chris Whatley

--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)