[comp.sys.next] Failed Optical Drive

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (09/14/89)

My optical disk drive won't mount any disks any more; I guess it's broken.
I suspect that possibly it is dust-related, since everything else is
fine, and the machine hadn't even rebooted or been powered down since
the last time the OD worked.

The symptoms are:  if you put in a disk (or ask for "Mount" from the
work space), it accepts the disk, starts to wind up the motor (the
familiar whine), it clunks once or twice, then the motor winds back
down.  This cycle repeats indefinitely, trying again after each time
the drive winds down.  There is no way to interrupt it short of hitting
double-command-` and typing "ej" to the monitor (which seems to work
fine).

I have pulled out the optical drive, looked at it, tried to blow dust
from it, etc.  I have not disassembled the drive itself, out of fear.
There was no change in behavior when I put the cube back together.

I installed system 0.981 a few weeks back, but I have no reason to
believe that this is related, since the OD worked fine during and
after the upgrade.

Has this happened to anybody else?  Is there anything I can do about
it, short of taking it in for repair?

Thanks,
 Glenn Reid
 Adobe Systems
 greid@adobe.COM

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (09/14/89)

In article <1183@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>The symptoms are:  if you put in a disk (or ask for "Mount" from the
>work space), it accepts the disk, starts to wind up the motor (the
>familiar whine), it clunks once or twice, then the motor winds back
>down.  This cycle repeats indefinitely, trying again after each time
>the drive winds down.

A guy in our group had this same problem.  It turned out that his media was
bad and, for some reason, the optical was trying to reach some state that it
couldn't because the media was bad.  Have you tried a different od?

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

kean@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Kean Stump) (09/15/89)

In article <6141@pt.cs.cmu.edu> eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) writes:
>In article <1183@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>>The symptoms are:  if you put in a disk (or ask for "Mount" from the
>>work space), it accepts the disk, starts to wind up the motor (the
>>familiar whine), it clunks once or twice, then the motor winds back
>>down.  This cycle repeats indefinitely, trying again after each time
>>the drive winds down.
>
>A guy in our group had this same problem.  It turned out that his media was
>bad and, for some reason, the optical was trying to reach some state that it
>couldn't because the media was bad.  Have you tried a different od?
>
>--
>Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
>(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

I've had a rather extensive experience with this particular problem.  I bought
my cube last Feb (optical only), and a month later the spinup-spindown problem
showed up.  The campus service center swapped the drive out, and everything
worked fine for a couple of months and then...It Happened Again.  Took the cube
in, swapped the drive out, no problem.  A month later, I bought a Wren V and
became happy as a clam with the improved speed and storage in the cube.  Well,
about two months later, I noticed the optical drive would spin the disk up
and down and back up before it would mount the inserted optical.  Being paranoid
I complained loudly to the PNW marketing rep, and he assured me that if anything
died, NeXT would take care of it.  Sure enough, two weeks later the drive failed
again with the spinup spindown symtoms.  Ah, I think.  Bond, James Bond once
said "Once is accident, twice is coincidence, and three times is enemy action".
I called the PNW rep again, and the drive was swapped out the next day along
with my motherboard.  A few days later an engineering type from next called me
and asked about a half-hours worth of questions about the physical environment
around the cube.  No dice; we got average power quality, not much dust, humidity
is controlled sorta. hmmm.

The problem was traced to a defective batch of laser diodes that Canon bought.
Didn't affect too many drives, but oh my, were the QC thoughts flowing.  Turns
out that the diode junction failed slowly, and the reduced power output caused
the drive mechanism to loose the tracking focus on the inserted disk.  I've used
my third drive now for three months with no problems whatsoever (under intensive
use), and NeXT placed my machine under extended warrantee until the end of 1989
to placate my fears.

'nuff said.

kean

Lothar Kaul

Internet: kaul@cs.orst.edu
UUCP:	  tektronix!orstcs!kaul
UUCP:	  hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!kaul

gjunell@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Gregorio Cortez) (09/15/89)

In article <1183@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.COM (Glenn Reid) writes:
>The symptoms are:  if you put in a disk (or ask for "Mount" from the
>work space), it accepts the disk, starts to wind up the motor (the
>familiar whine), it clunks once or twice, then the motor winds back
>down.  This cycle repeats indefinitely, trying again after each time
>the drive winds down.

We had a drive die of the same symptoms.  The drive spun up and down util
someone had the sense to turn it off, and it wouldn't accept any flopticals
after that point.  We contacted Next and they Fed Expressed a new drive to
us.  The explanation was a single batch of drives had a bad part.

Greg

gjunell@polyslo.calpoly.edu				Next Administrator

greid@adobe.com (Glenn Reid) (09/15/89)

In article <6141@pt.cs.cmu.edu> eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) writes:
>A guy in our group had this same problem.  It turned out that his media was
>bad and, for some reason, the optical was trying to reach some state that it
>couldn't because the media was bad.  Have you tried a different od?

It wasn't the media, unfortunately.

Thanks for all of your responses about my optical drive problem.
I got the drive replaced, which should fix it.  Apparently some of
the very early disk drives had some problems, but the new one is
supposed to be much more robust.

Glenn Reid
Adobe Systems

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/16/89)

>We had a drive die of the same symptoms.  The drive spun up and down util
>someone had the sense to turn it off, and it wouldn't accept any flopticals
>after that point.  We contacted Next and they Fed Expressed a new drive to
>us.  The explanation was a single batch of drives had a bad part.

Mine just died right this week with the same symptoms. As it turns out, I
bought my cube just about 4 months ago. And, I am very glad that NeXT
decided to replace it---warrany or no warranty. Needless to say that one
is never happy about broken equipment, but I am really fond of NeXT's policy
of dealing with this problem. (Remember years ago, the first IBM AT hard disks
would  all fail? And, as far as I remember, if you were out of warranty,
you were also out of luck.) This is how to build up goodwill!

/ivo

iphwk@TERRA.OSCS.MONTANA.EDU (Bill Kinnersley) (12/15/89)

[In "Re: Failed Optical Drive", phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu said:]
:
[...]
Tell me, what magical words did you have to say to get NeXT to go along
with this?  A "friend of mine" had the same thing happen to the Optical,
and after much deliberation, the verdict was that we had two choices:
(a) Pack up the machine and send it to them, and they would replace the
drive for us for $1500, or (b) Send a representative to take their technical
school, after which they would sell us the part to replace ourselves
for only $500.

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717