[comp.sys.next] sendmail install/configuration on NeXT

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (12/15/89)

On page C-16 of Appendix C: Sendmail: An Internetwork Mail Router
of the On-Line Documentation, the notes mention certain directories
and files that are just NOT on the distribution:

"ln -s cf.named cf"

This is an attempt to make a symbolic link from cf.named to
the cf (or vise versa, I always get this mixed up).

Well, the top of the page says all examples assume to eminate
form the sendamil source tree. On the distribution, most of the
sendmail files are in /private/etc/sendmail except for two in /usr/lib
(sendmail* and sendmail.hf which I think is a help file).

So my question is this...uhm, what is the appendix C trying to show
me how to do? My goal is to try and get sendmail working
correctly given the campus environment we have here (there is a
named server and a forwarding site and a bitnet gate and the works
on top of that) like most other large campuses. Has anyone done the
sendmail config and would like to share the experience (no California
jokes please). If you like, send to me directly and I'll post a summary
to the nets. Thanks in advance for any help.

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

In article <9428@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>,
	rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) writes:
>On page C-16 of Appendix C: Sendmail: An Internetwork Mail Router
>of the On-Line Documentation, the notes mention certain directories
>and files that are just NOT on the distribution:

They are in the sendmail distribution available by anonymous FTP
from ucbarpa.berkeley.edu.  Oh, you mean the _NeXT_ distribution.
Ha ha.  Those appendices are all just Berkeley's documentation
converted to WriteNow--word for word identical.

>So my question is this...uhm, what is the appendix C trying to show
>me how to do? My goal is to try and get sendmail working
>correctly given the campus environment we have here (there is a
>named server and a forwarding site and a bitnet gate and the works
>on top of that) like most other large campuses. Has anyone done the
>sendmail config and would like to share the experience (no California
>jokes please).

Gonna be insulting?  Fine.  Supply your own experience.  You can
find raw materials on sutro.sfsu.edu in ~ftp/pub; see

	README.sendmail
	sendmail.diskless.diff
	sendmail.sutro.diff
	patch.Z (if you need it)

The diskless version uses the diskfull one as a forwarder, and
munges the headers to appear to come from it (since they use the
same netinfo passwd and the diskless machines are all MXed just
in case).  If you want to see how THAT's done, grab nslookup.tar.Z
as well so you can query the DNS from your cubes.  Anyway, you
should be able to draw upon these as examples.

					-=EPS=-
				(in sunny California)