[comp.sys.next] fsck messages on a reboot

lrr@Princeton.EDU (Lawrence R. Rogers) (12/07/89)

When the cube reboots, where do the messages from fsck go besides to the
console, which may not be visible?  Are they mirrored elsewhere for
later analysis? Thanks.

Larry Rogers (Postmaster@Princeton.EDU)
Manager, UNIX Systems
Princeton University
Computing and Information Technology
Computing Center
87 Prospect Street, Room 201
Princeton, NJ 08544

UUCP:		princeton!lrr
ARPANET/CSNET:	lrr@Princeton.EDU
BITNET:		lrr@pucc.BITNET
PHONE:		609 258 6483
FAX:		609 258 3943

dennisg@kgw2.UUCP (Dennis Glatting) (12/08/89)

In article <11993@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, lrr@Princeton.EDU (Lawrence R. Rogers) writes:
> When the cube reboots, where do the messages from fsck go besides to the
> console, which may not be visible?  Are they mirrored elsewhere for
> later analysis? Thanks.

if you hold down the two command keys and a ` you enter into a monitor
if i remember correctly if you say "msg" you get the boot messages.
i have the boot window displayed on power up because i like to
see rc do its thing and i'm a unix freak.  watching that
stuff gives me a feeling of confidence.  either way there is a
section in the tech docs on it.

--
 dennisg%kgw2%tron.UUCP@umbc3.UMBC.EDU  | Dennis P. Glatting
   I want my own NeXT, 64 MB RAM, 660 MB SCSI, NeXT Printer.

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/11/89)

>In article <11993@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, lrr@Princeton.EDU (Lawrence R. Rogers) writes:
>> When the cube reboots, where do the messages from fsck go besides to the
>> console, which may not be visible?  Are they mirrored elsewhere for
>> later analysis? Thanks.

Boot messages to to /usr/adm/messages (anyway, I think most of them do),
along with a lot of messages the rest of the system generates.

Boy, there are many unnerving messages like "Window Server died ...
Cannot print..", which are apparently normal.

However, I don't think full fsck is performed on normal reboots
(if any), because boot messages say something like "filesystem clean --
skipping fsck ...".
I think there's probably a "filesystem dirty" flag in the
battery backed CMOS RAM which is cleared upon orderly shutdown, and
unless this bit indicates otherwise fsck is not done on subsequent
reboots.

Am I correct?

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

mmeyer@next.com (Morris Meyer) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec10.223805.17331@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>However, I don't think full fsck is performed on normal reboots
>(if any), because boot messages say something like "filesystem clean --
>skipping fsck ...".
>I think there's probably a "filesystem dirty" flag in the
>battery backed CMOS RAM which is cleared upon orderly shutdown, and
>unless this bit indicates otherwise fsck is not done on subsequent
>reboots.
>
>Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

The filesystem dirty bit is stored in the superblock.  It is set
on shutdown by the UFS code after every local inode is determined
to be unreferenced and sync'd on the disk.

		morris meyer (mmeyer@next.com)
		software engineer
		NeXT OS Group

dennisg@kgw2.UUCP (Dennis Glatting) (12/12/89)

> I think there's probably a "filesystem dirty" flag in the
>
> Am I correct?

i remember reading somewhere that there is a dirty flag.  it might have
been the monitor docs.

--

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/15/89)

/* Written  6:25 am  Dec 12, 1989 by dennisg@kgw2.UUCP in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
>> I think there's probably a "filesystem dirty" flag in the
>>
>> Am I correct?
>>

>i remember reading somewhere that there is a dirty flag.  it might have
>been the monitor docs.

There may be, but I do know for sure that there is a clean flag put on each
device when it is unmounted.  It is also removed when it is mounted, so you
get mildly interesting results if you actually watch the mount process.

Michael Rutman
SoftMed
jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu