[comp.sys.next] envelope problems

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (12/20/89)

We've had some problems with printing envelopes in our NeXT printers.
I had always assumed it was a mechanical problem, but now I'm not sure.
One user reports that if he waits to insert the envelope until he gets
the "printer is waiting for paper" prompt, all is well.  If he preloads
the envelope, he gets paper jams.

Since pre-loading the envelope speeds things up something wonderful, I
don't want to tell him, "just wait for the prompt."

Anybody else have a similar experience?  Any ideas on a work-around?
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
IfUMust:  (217) 244-1765

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec19.173850.24429@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>We've had some problems with printing envelopes in our NeXT printers.
>I had always assumed it was a mechanical problem, but now I'm not sure.

This may have absolutely nothing to do with the problem that you are
experiencing, but I'll pass along my own experience just in case it is
relevant.  I had repeated paper jams when trying to print envelopes
until I started running my fingernails over the leading edges of each
envelope to sharpen the creases before inserting the envelope into the
printer.  As long as I do this I have no problems.  So if the problem
you are having IS in fact mechanical, this might help.  Otherwise, I'm
afraid I haven't a clue.

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuphil.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET