[comp.sys.next] Non-English support

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/16/89)

Please, let's separate the question of non-English support for the NeXT
from that NeXT-vs-Mac-nose-thumbing thread.

What exactly is needed?

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/16/89)

In article <130053@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>Please, let's separate the question of non-English support for the NeXT
>from that NeXT-vs-Mac-nose-thumbing thread.
>
>What exactly is needed?

Since you ask, here are my requirements/wish list:

[1] Ability to support most exisiting writing systems including
    those which employ text written right-to-left (Hebrew, Arabic),
    and Chinese/Japanese/Korean character set where there are
    6000+ characters, and text are written left-to-right as well
    as top-to-bottom.  I do not consider support only of European
    languages as multi-lingual.

    I believe NeXT, because of its use of Display PostScript
    and DPS's composite font extension, has the necessary
    infrastructure to do this without much further work, because
    composite font extension already supports all of the above.

    The keyboard remapping is probably already supported.
    For Chinese/Japanese/Korean languages, the keyboard mapping
    really is not an issue, because there has to be some kind of
    a phonetic-to-Kanji conversion services provided by the system.
    It is the question of how to implement this service.

There should be two levels of local language support.

[2] One is the support by the system to display/edit/print
    local language scripts within application windows, but not
    for system alerts, error messages, menu titiles, window tiles.
    Personally, this is the environment where I would like to
    operate in.  I want all messages from the system and applications
    to come in English, but I would like to be able to edit/display
    and print in non-English language from applications.

[3] The other level is the case of complete localization where
    all menus, window titles, alert panels, voice alerts come in
    the local language.  Of course, it should allow complete support
    of the local language in application windows.  This is clearly
    needed if NeXT is to be sold to non-technical people in other
    countries.
    I suppose, it would be acceptable to have messages in files like
    /usr/adm/messages in English, because they are gibberish to
    most people anyway.

I sincerely hope that NeXT is more open about their intentions
on these matters.  The cubes design choices are nearly all correct
to build up on to carry us into the 90's.  I don't have to be
told of a delivery date of a certain product, but I would like to
know if a support for, e.g., Kanji is already thought out, or it
is a major hassle to put it in.  In NeXT's case, I think the
necessary foundation is already there.  Why not state this.

Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (12/17/89)

In article <1989Dec16.080754.24907@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>In article <130053@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>>Please, let's separate the question of non-English support for the NeXT
>>from that NeXT-vs-Mac-nose-thumbing thread.
>>
>>What exactly is needed?
>
>Since you ask, here are my requirements/wish list:
>
>[1] Ability to support most exisiting writing systems including
>    those which employ text written right-to-left (Hebrew, Arabic),
>    and Chinese/Japanese/Korean character set where there are
>    6000+ characters, and text are written left-to-right as well
>    as top-to-bottom.  I do not consider support only of European
>    languages as multi-lingual.
I'd like to register my STRONG agreement with this.  I purchased a NeXT
as a "scholarly workstation," and for it's promise in this area to be
fully realized, support for NON-WESTERN (and not merely non-English)
languages is essential.  I'm not too worried about support for Japanese,
for some fairly obvious (read:  economic) reasons.  But support for
other languages is important as well.  I make use of Sanskrit, for
example, a "dead language" perhaps (although not quite dead, in fact),
but extremely important for one interested in the history of culture.
The same could be said for MANY other non-Western languages.  The
reception of the NeXT in some scholarly circles has been cooled somewhat
precisely because there is as yet no support for non-Western languages
(or even non-English at present).  I hope the people at NeXT have a
strong commitment to this.

>The cubes design choices are nearly all correct
>to build upon to carry us into the 90's.  I don't have to be
>told of a delivery date of a certain product, but I would like to
>know if a support for, e.g., Kanji is already thought out, or it
>is a major hassle to put it in.  In NeXT's case, I think the
>necessary foundation is already there.  Why not state this.
>
>Izumi Ohzawa, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

Agreed.  Some indication of NeXT's intentions would be helpful.
Any volunteers?

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuphil.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

duggie@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Doug Felt) (12/17/89)

In article <130053@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>Please, let's separate the question of non-English support for the NeXT
>from that NeXT-vs-Mac-nose-thumbing thread.
>
>What exactly is needed?

Amen.

You need to support multiple writing systems with large character sets
(Chinese) right-to-left text (Hebrew) and text in which character
glyphs change based on context (Arabic).  It should be possible to
configure the system to support multiple writing systems
simultaneously (some documents names in Hebrew, some in Chinese).
Support should be system-wide (menus, titles in windows, alerts).  It
should be possible to configure a single machine to come up with the system
in a different language depending on the user.

All applications that support text of mixed fonts and sizes should support
arbitrary mixes of writing systems as well.  The writing systems used for
input and editing should be independent of that for the system.

Dates, times, currency, etc should appear in the proper format for
the language they are in.

Macro langages for UI scripting, databases, spreadsheets, etc should be
language-independent.  They should parse dates etc correctly.  Indexing
programs (Librarian) should also function properly (Chinese, for instance,
has no spaces to delimit words).

It should be possible to switch between input systems for those languages
where several exist (Chinese again).

A particular desire of mine is to be able to mix both traditional and
simplified Chinese characters in the same body of text.  It would be
handy to have the ability to convert between the two where there is a
clear correspondance.  I think you need a very large Chinese character
set because hand-drawn glyphs are useless for indexing or information
retrieval, and they won't scale (unless you get the user to use
postscript to draw them.)

The above is what I think you need for a real multilingual machine.
Programs that manipulate text should be prepared to deal with any
language the user throws at it, no matter what language the program's
UI is configured in.  One should not have to buy multiple copies of
NExcel in order to use it with different language data.  The user's choice
of language should be constrained only by the system software on her
or his machine.

"Localizability" is a bit different from "multilinguality."  I don't
expect that users be able to translate all of a program's menus and
error messages into their language of choice, although I would prefer
that this be possible simply because most companies won't do it
themselves.  I do expect that any program be able to deal with text
in the user's language of choice wherever it manipulates or displays
text supplied by the user.

Not that there aren't huge technical problems, of course :-)

Doug Felt

g2k@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Frederic Giacometti) (12/18/89)

I am amazed about the reaction of some persons when it comes to claim the basics
foreign characters on the NeXT. How can people be so intolerant, or ignorant
(I know, 60% of American students can't place Beijin or Berlin on a map).
Hey, what would you say if you had to write english whithout h, x, y, w letters ?
Having to replace x by ks, y by ii, w by v ?
I would be glad to talk with you then.
Being European, each time I have to write a report
in my native language, I have to take the old Mac which at least provides the basic
combinations of letters and accents. America is not the world; be sure that
until NeXT implements the accents on its machines, NeXT won't sell a single
machine outside the scientific comunity in the continental EEC.

To conquer the non-scientific users in Europe, NeXT MUST have accents working on
its machines. Until then, Mac will be the preferred choice of these users.

I am not talking about selling NeXTs to hebrew or chinese scholars having their
mind 2000 years ago, but to the technologically most advanced countries on that
planet, which is not reduced to the state of California nor to the english-speaking
world.

So, think about it, from now onwards try to write your reports in english without
using h, x, y, w letters.

Frederic

ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) (12/18/89)

In article <7733@portia.Stanford.EDU> duggie@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Doug Felt)
writes:
> . . . for a real multilingual machine [,]
>Programs that manipulate text should be prepared to deal with any
>language the user throws at it, no matter what language the program's
>UI is configured in. . . . The user's choice
>of language should be constrained only by the system software on her
>or his machine.
>
>Not that there aren't huge technical problems, of course :-)

There are serious technical issues, but they yield to sufficient determination
and attention to detail.  We currently have a large network (~1000 workstations)
that supports more than 30 languages.  By this time next year, we will have
43 languages, all running on the same hardware and system software "platform"
(Xerox 6085 "Mesa" processor, Xerox ViewPoint software) and all coexisting
within the same network environment.  The system imposes far fewer constraints
on the users than the real world imposes: our Chinese writers can't read Arabic
text, although there is no inherent restriction in the technology that prevents
an Arabic user from sending text to a Chinese user.

--
Chris Kern			     Voice of America, Washington, D.C.
...uunet!voa3!ck					+1 202-485-7020

duggie@jessica.Stanford.EDU (Doug Felt) (12/18/89)

In article <348@voa3.UUCP> ck@voa3.UUCP (Chris Kern) writes:
>  We currently have a large network (~1000 workstations)
>that supports more than 30 languages.  By this time next year, we will have
>43 languages, all running on the same hardware and system software "platform"
>(Xerox 6085 "Mesa" processor, Xerox ViewPoint software) and all coexisting
>within the same network environment.

Sorry to bother the net with this, my mail bounced.  Could you point
me at any published reports or articles about this system?

Thanks.

Doug Felt

davef@jessica.Stanford.EDU (David Finkelstein) (12/19/89)

In article <130053@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>Please, let's separate the question of non-English support for the NeXT
>from that NeXT-vs-Mac-nose-thumbing thread.
>
>What exactly is needed?
>
>Jacob
>--
>Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

To start with, support for diacriticals.

As it stands, I've got a French professor who'd like
to use the Next in his class, but they can't write
anything in French.

David Finkelstein
Academic Information Resources
Stanford University
davef@jessica.stanford.edu

nmk@cucumber.Princeton.EDU (Nick Katz) (12/19/89)

According to the User's Reference for 1.0, pages 415 and 416, all the
diacriticals one needs in typing French are right there in "all" the
standard font families, e.g., Times and Helvetica. What's the problem?
		Nick Katz, nmk@math.princeton.edu

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (12/19/89)

In article <12306@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> nmk@cucumber.Princeton.EDU (Nick Katz) writes:
>According to the User's Reference for 1.0, pages 415 and 416, all the
>diacriticals one needs in typing French are right there in "all" the
>standard font families, e.g., Times and Helvetica. What's the problem?

The problem is that you CAN'T USE THEM.  I quote from p. 416:  "The
accent mark should appear above or below the character when displayed or
printed, BUT IT WILL APPEAR NEXT TO THE CHARACTER INSTEAD IN
APPLICATIONS THAT DON'T SUPPORT THIS FEATURE YET," i.e., the
applications on the NeXT, like WriteNow, Edit . . .  The lack of
diacritics IS a problem, and it is a serious one for many of us.  It
should be remedied ASAP.

boyle@altair.mcs.anl.gov (12/20/89)

/* Written  5:40 pm  Dec 17, 1989 by g2k@mentor.cc.purdue.edu in altair:comp.sys.next */

I am amazed about the reaction of some persons when it comes to claim the basics
foreign characters on the NeXT. How can people be so intolerant, or ignorant
[...]  Hey, what would you say if you had to write english whithout h, x, y,
w letters ? Having to replace x by ks, y by ii, w by v ? [...]  Being European,
each time I have to write a report in my native language, I have to take the
old Mac which at least provides the basic combinations of letters and accents.
America is not the world; be sure that until NeXT implements the accents on
its machines, NeXT won't sell a single machine outside the scientific comunity
in the continental EEC.

To conquer the non-scientific users in Europe, NeXT MUST have accents working on
its machines. Until then, Mac will be the preferred choice of these users. [...]

Frederic
/* End of text from altair:comp.sys.next */

Well, the situation in regard to European languages that use variants
of the Roman alphabet is not quite hopeless.  If you look at the
appendices of the NeXT User's Reference Manual, it shows how to type
the various accent marks (including those needed for French, umlauts
for German, the es-set (?... means "ss" and looks like Greek beta),
Polish slashed l's, dot-less "i" needed to combine with umlaut dots to
correctly spell "naive" in English, etc.  The manual says that the
accent marks are supposed to print over or under the preceding character,
but print after them in applications that don't yet support them.
WriteNow prints them after the character, so I guess support isn't in
1.0, but things like the AE ligature and o-slash for the Scandanavian
langugaes already work (including on the NeXT printer).

Sorry I can't include a sample :-).

Jim Boyle

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/20/89)

nmk@cucumber.Princeton.EDU (Nick Katz) writes:

>According to the User's Reference for 1.0, pages 415 and 416, all the
>diacriticals one needs in typing French are right there in "all" the
>standard font families, e.g., Times and Helvetica. What's the problem?

Try it out in WriteNow. You'll see. If you try to type e with accent
grave, you get "e'".

Chris
--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu (William M. Bumgarner) (12/20/89)

I was using Frame (I love it!) one day, and needed a diacritical for
some random reason.  Naturally, I went to Alternate-e e for an acute
accent-- and it gave it to me.  Works fine in WriteNow also, if I
remember correctly.  Seems to be about the same lay as the Mac
keyboard-- which is probably why I went for it... I have typed on a
Mac for a long time (and some of that in French).

There is a wonderful utility called CharFind that shows where all the
special chars are-- it is available via anonymous ftp from purdue, I
think.  Frame also has the key layout in the help files.

b.bumgarner            | Disclaimer:  All opinions expressed are my own.
wb1j+@andrew.cmu.edu   | I officially don't represent anyone unless I
NeXT Campus Consultant | explicity say I am doing so.  So there.  <Thpppt!>
"I ride tandem with the random/Things don't run the way I planned them..."