[comp.sys.next] Babbage Sues Computer Industry!!

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/20/89)

In a completely unexpected move today, Charles Babbage, creator of the
"Babbage Numerator", widely recognized to be the prototypical computer,
announced that he and his heirs will be suing all makers of computer
equipment, computer peripherals, computer-driven equipment (cars,
microwave ovens, etc) for royalty fees retroactive to December 1, 1880.

The basis for the suit is quoted: "All computers ever produced since mine
are unlicensed derivative works, and they infringe upon my copyright of
presentation appearance which I placed on the Numerator."

In a related news item, Ada Lovelace, Babbage's live-in girlfriend,
is filing a suit against all programmers, claiming that they have unlawfully
profited from her work.

R.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 Rich Siegel
 Staff Software Developer
 Symantec Corporation, Language Products Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
 UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

"When someone who makes four hundred and fifty dollars an hour wants to
tell you something for free, it's a good idea to listen."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

george@swbatl.UUCP (6544) (12/20/89)

In article <3458@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In a completely unexpected move today, Charles Babbage, creator of the
>"Babbage Numerator", widely recognized to be the prototypical computer,
>announced that he and his heirs will be suing all makers of computer
>equipment, computer peripherals, computer-driven equipment ...

Gee.  Why would Charlie do this?  Isn't he making enough from his
software stores?  Talk about shooting your foot that feeds you! ;-)

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) (12/20/89)

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel):
. In a related news item, Ada Lovelace, Babbage's live-in girlfriend,
. is filing a suit against all programmers, claiming that they have unlawfully
. profited from her work.

No, you got it wrong; Ada's case is against the US DOD, and it's for
defamation of character.  :-)

Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
  If Encore endorsed my opinions, they couldn't afford to pay me

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (12/21/89)

In article <3458@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:
> In a completely unexpected move today, Charles Babbage, creator of the
> "Babbage Numerator", widely recognized to be the prototypical computer,
> announced that he and his heirs will be suing all makers of computer
> equipment, computer peripherals, computer-driven equipment (cars,
> microwave ovens, etc) for royalty fees retroactive to December 1, 1880.

After hearing preliminary arguments, the judge threw the case out, claiming
that Babbage's analog computer did not directly prefigure current digital
practice.

Babbage counters by suing manufacturers of various analog computers, such as
naval gun directors and some analog flight simulators.

In a related move, Babbage himself is being taken to court by Blaise Pascal,
inventor of an early census-tabulating computer.

------------

"...Then anyone who leaves behind him a written manual, and likewise
anyone who receives it, in the belief that such writing will be clear
and certain, must be exceedingly simple-minded..."

		Plato, _Phaedrus_ 275d

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (12/21/89)

In article <129481@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) writes:
> In article <3458@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:
>
>  [ news of the current lawsuits in virtual reality . . ]
>
> In a related move, Babbage himself is being taken to court by Blaise Pascal,
> inventor of an early census-tabulating computer.

In further developements in this interesting case. M.
Jacquard, a well-know French inventor (responsible for the
Jacquard loom, a precursor of the well-know punch card
technology) announce in a press conference in Paris that
he would be joining with M. Pascal in his suit.

M. Pascal who was also at the press conference, announced
a further suit, aimed at M. Wirth over the name of his
popular teaching language. Said M. Pascal, "You call him
by name or by value but his lawyer better call my lawyer
by Monday or else we'll see each other in court!" M. Wirth
could not be reached for comment.

			- peterd

+-------+	Peter Deutsch,			    -- where am I? --
| u # u |	School of Computer Science,	internet: peterd@cs.mcgill.ca
|/\/\/\/|	McGill University,		bitnet:  peterd@musocs
| a   a |	3480 University St.		uucp:..!mit-eddie!musocs!peterd
\   a   /	Montreal, Que, Canada, H3A 2A7	phone:  (514) 398-6698
 \_____/                                        fax:   (514) 398-3883
		"These are only my opinions, but I'm willing to share..."