[comp.sys.next] NeXT not open architecture?

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (12/20/89)

In article <3362@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP writes:
>Rather, I was trying to show that putting Ether on the motherboard and not
>also including enough open architecture features was probably not the best
>design decision.

In what way is the NeXT lacking in open architecture features?  If you mean
that they have lagged in getting a Bus interface chip to hardware developers
I can agree.  But otherwise, pending development of the hardware, you can
plug anything you want in the remaining slots.
--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

6600pete@hub.UUCP (12/22/89)

From article <7362@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, by eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer):
> In article <3362@hub.UUCP> 6600pete@hub.UUCP writes:
>>Rather, I was trying to show that putting Ether on the motherboard and not
>>also including enough open architecture features was probably not the best
>>design decision.
> In what way is the NeXT lacking in open architecture features?

Well, I could say that 4 slots is not enough. But that's a lame scramble
to keep the egg off of my face.

Rather, I direct you to the message headed "Egg on my face" somewhere around
here.

If you would like to argue this point in its current incarnation, take a
look at alt.religion.computers.
Hire this kid  | Mac, DOS, C, Pascal, asm, excellent communication skills