[comp.sys.next] Who will buy the NeXT

jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) (11/30/89)

Since I am interested in doing software development on the NeXT platform,
I've been following this thread with particular interest. I've got a question:
Has anyone bought a system from Businessland or are most of you NeXT users
college students, etc. The Businessland in Cleveland, OH, has not sold a
single machine to my knowledge. When comparing price, everyone keeps
mentioning the educational price of $6500. Note that most people must pay
$10,000 for the machine. I personally feel that Businessland may have a hard
time selling a machine to a personal user who has the knowledge that his
buddy can get a NeXT computer and printer for $5000.00 less than he can.

jaz@calvin.icd.ab.com

kdp9565@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Keith D. Perkins) (11/30/89)

In article <964@abvax.UUCP> jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
>Has anyone bought a system from Businessland or are most of you NeXT users
>college students, etc.

	The Businessland store in Houston has sold some, I've heard. In
fact Compaq supposibly bought 10 NeXT's. I've heard it's their policy to
buy new machines, but I'm hoping that this means that some company besides
IBM is thinking about licensing the NeXTstep. I'm also hoping that when
the new NeXT comes out, NeXT corp. will drop the Businessland price of the
old model to the $6500 range.
	About whether the NeXT will sell or not, it depends on a lot of
factors. IMHO, the biggest obsticle to overcome is the compatibility
problems. If the NeXT had a DOS or MAC window that it could open and
run those operating systems programs, it would sell a lot better. It
is hard for a company that has sunk some untold tens of thousands of $'s
into systems and software to justify buying a computer that has limited
compatibility at best with their old systems. There are still a lot of
computers out there that are not connected to any form of LAN network, and
this means transfering a program or document between two computers still
is fastest by way of a floppy disk. The only way currently for the NeXT
to transfer files is either by modem or Ethernet, both of which are rather
hard ways for an unschooled novice (ie: a secretary) to transfer files.
	Luckily, Unix, DOS, and the MAC systems are currently in a state of
flux. In DOS there is DOS 4.0, Microsoft Windows 3.0, and OS/2. Variations
abound depending on the hardware and options added to the OS. The MAC's
movement t7.0 is going to be interesting. The movement from Postscript,
the necessity of 2MB of RAM, and the changing of the adressing system
is going to be a pain for most developers. Unix is in the worst position,
though. With everybody and their dog trying to build a GUI, the NeXT has
the best chance of winning here. I have yet to read an article that has
not praised the NeXT for having an outstanding interface. Unfortunatly,
the interface alone won't sell the NeXT, though it might help if it gets
licensed out to other companies.

>jaz@calvin.icd.ab.com

Keith Perkins
The University of Texas at Austin
KDP9565@doc.cc.utexas.edu

jcargill@oka.cs.wisc.edu (Jon Cargille) (11/30/89)

jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) writes:

>                                When comparing price, everyone keeps
>mentioning the educational price of $6500. Note that most people must pay
>$10,000 for the machine. I personally feel that Businessland may have a hard
>time selling a machine to a personal user who has the knowledge that his
>buddy can get a NeXT computer and printer for $5000.00 less than he can.

You may be right about the plight of Businessland.  But the difference
is price is only about $3000.00.  $6500 is a bogus price, and schools
tack on a "service" or "support" fee.  ($300 - $1000) Even if you
don't want/need support...

Why did NeXT announce wholesale prices to the world?  Inquiring minds
want to know....

Are there any schools out there which don't tack on a fee?  Will they
sell to me long-distance?   .5 :)

 >jaz@calvin.icd.ab.com

Jon
jcargill@cs.wisc.edu

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/01/89)

/* Written 10:05 am  Nov 29, 1989 by jaz@abvax.UUCP in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
/* ---------- "Who will buy the NeXT" ---------- */
>Since I am interested in doing software development on the NeXT platform,
>I've been following this thread with particular interest. I've got a question:
>Has anyone bought a system from Businessland or are most of you NeXT users
>college students, etc. The Businessland in Cleveland, OH, has not sold a
>single machine to my knowledge.

The Businessland in Chicago has sold at least two machines to doctors.  Besides
them, I don't think I have heard of anyone else buying machines.  I am also
working on software, but as mine is medical in nature, I am happy that doctors
are buying them.

>When comparing price, everyone keeps
>mentioning the educational price of $6500. Note that most people must pay
>$10,000 for the machine. I personally feel that Businessland may have a hard
>time selling a machine to a personal user who has the knowledge that his
>buddy can get a NeXT computer and printer for $5000.00 less than he can.

The same is true for Macintosh, IBM, and Zenith though.  Education discounts do
provide a very large incentive for young soon-to-be professionals to learn a
machine.  Taking the machine with them to their future places of business.
On this line, though, I have heard rumors of upcomming legislation to prevent
educational discounts.

/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */

Michael Rutman
SoftMed

jcargill@oka.cs.wisc.edu (Jon Cargille) (12/01/89)

jcargill@oka.cs.wisc.edu (Jon Cargille) writes:

>$6500 is a bogus price, and schools
>tack on a "service" or "support" fee.  ($300 - $1000) Even if you
>don't want/need support...

Ok, Ok......  I've received a couple of well written and rather
convincing semi-flames, and I take it all back...  Thanks for being
gentle.  :)  I guess I feel that I need a lot less support than a
"typical" user.  But now that you mention it, receiving software
updates, ROM upgrades, 40M accelerators, and bus driver chips does
sound good.... :)

Not that I couldn't install any of these myself, but I guess it was
NeXT that made the decision to establish this distribution channel to
keep their own costs down, and that's the way it's gonna be for a
while. Universities can't help but incur some overhead in acquiring
and selling the machines, and they can't be expected to hire personnel
and buy machines without recouping their losses somehow.

>Why did NeXT announce wholesale prices to the world?  Inquiring minds
>want to know....

I think this is the real problem....  As a student who has been saving
for about a year toward buying a NeXT, I was not happy to learn that I
needed to find another $400-$500 somewhere.  And when I'm ready to
buy, they'll probably announce the next NeXT, and then I'll want it
and have to start saving again!

Apologies to anyone I offended....  I think I just needed to gripe. :)

Jon Cargille
jcargill@cs.wisc.edu

rca@brunix (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/01/89)

>this means transfering a program or document between two computers still
>is fastest by way of a floppy disk. The only way currently for the NeXT

Dayna corp. is shipping the beta version of it's floppy drive
to developers in about 2 weeks, they expect to ship it to
the public pretty soon next year...
next year hopefully is a NeXT year, after all NeXT was announced
as the computer of the 90's...

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@cogsci.bitnet

In article <246300069@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written 10:05 am  Nov 29, 1989 by jaz@abvax.UUCP in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
>/* ---------- "Who will buy the NeXT" ---------- */
>>Since I am interested in doing software development on the NeXT platform,
>>I've been following this thread with particular interest. I've got a question:
>>Has anyone bought a system from Businessland or are most of you NeXT users
>>college students, etc. The Businessland in Cleveland, OH, has not sold a
>>single machine to my knowledge.
>
>The Businessland in Chicago has sold at least two machines to doctors.  Besides
>them, I don't think I have heard of anyone else buying machines.  I am also
>working on software, but as mine is medical in nature, I am happy that doctors
>are buying them.
>
>>When comparing price, everyone keeps
>>mentioning the educational price of $6500. Note that most people must pay
>>$10,000 for the machine. I personally feel that Businessland may have a hard
>>time selling a machine to a personal user who has the knowledge that his
>>buddy can get a NeXT computer and printer for $5000.00 less than he can.
>
>The same is true for Macintosh, IBM, and Zenith though.  Education discounts do
>provide a very large incentive for young soon-to-be professionals to learn a
>machine.  Taking the machine with them to their future places of business.

>On this line, though, I have heard rumors of upcomming legislation to prevent
>educational discounts.

It's about time the law was changed on this.

One of the things that REALLY pisses off a dealer is when the local college
sells 3,000 machines BELOW THE DEALER'S COST to students -- and the dealer
gets stuck supporting those units.  Some of those, inevitably, find their
way into the grey market and outside of the university.

The result of this?  Ask the dealers in Ann Arbor, MI.  More than a couple
have gone out of business in the last couple of years due to the U of M's
"Truckload sales".  Happens every year.

This is not good folks.  Remember, this isn't like signing a dealer on -- the
universities are literally opening up the backs of Semi Trailers and selling
the machines off the loading docks!  Support and service?  That's for the
local dealers to provide (free, of course, since the system does come with a
warranty!)

The law is rather explicit in this regard.  If I sell you 500 systems for
resale at $4,000 each, and someone else with identical service, support and
sales expertise in the same geographic area comes to me and wants to buy 500
systems for resale, I better not charge him $5,000 each -- or I may end up
in court.  Sure, the burden of proof is on the (screwed) purchaser.  But more
and more, the dealers are obtaining that proof, and pressing their points home.

I've no complaint with a manufacturer selling a university systems at a
great discount for >internal use<.  What gets to me and others is when
manufacturers sell direct to the students of that college, through some
under-the-table agreement with a college, systems for their own personal
use -- below the cost at which any other dealer or distributor could obtain
them.  IBM, Zenith, Apple and others have been doing this for years.  In
fact, some people argue that these companies are selling to the students
>below cost<!

What the companies are trying to do is build brand loyalty while the kids
are in school -- so they'll take that loyalty with them when they graduate,
and hopefully populate businesses with those same machines.

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (12/02/89)

In article <1989Dec1.232137.11584@ddsw1.MCS.COM> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:

   One of the things that REALLY pisses off a dealer is when the local college
   sells 3,000 machines BELOW THE DEALER'S COST to students -- and the dealer
   gets stuck supporting those units.  Some of those, inevitably, find their
   way into the grey market and outside of the university.

   The result of this?  Ask the dealers in Ann Arbor, MI.  More than a couple
   have gone out of business in the last couple of years due to the U of M's
   "Truckload sales".  Happens every year.

   This is not good folks.  Remember, this isn't like signing a dealer on
   -- the universities are literally opening up the backs of Semi
   Trailers and selling the machines off the loading docks!  Support and
   service?  That's for the local dealers to provide (free, of course,
   since the system does come with a warranty!)

This topic has been thoroughly hashed out at Michigan in a local
conference, with participation by both U people and some dealers.
Here's some summary of stuff here.  Remember, we're not selling NeXT
machines by the truckload (ha! we're barely selling any at all!) --
these systems are Macs, Zeniths, and IBMs.

When you purchase $6.3 million and sell it in a weekend you hope to
get a pretty reasonable volume discount.  Probably a better volume
discount than a typical dealer order.  You should also expect some
nice treatment from the vendor and some extra work on their part.
I seriously doubt whether the dealers in this town could push that
much gear in a weekend without some help from the University (let's be
real folks, not a chance).  The Engineering School gets similar
purchasing power by doing outrageous things like buying 760MB SCSI
drives by the gross.

You've got to remember in a competetive market there are companies
that make it and companies that lose.  I would expect a few computer
dealers to go belly up every year in this town, and a few others to
take their place.  The U doesn't sell every imaginable computer
peripheral, piece of software, cable, modem, floppy disk etc etc.

Here's the income statement from Computer Kickoff '88.  Note the
$81,000 figure as "dealer payments" -- several dealers that
participate in this $6.7 million dollar sale get compensated for their
effort to the tune of about 1% of net sales, or about 20% of gross
income.

& RESPOND, FORGET, OR PASS:
  157
  Nov30/89 18:55
  902:157) Tom Diroff:
   computer kickoff 88 income statement
   net sales (less sales tax)                                6765602.35
   less cost of goods sold                                   6364997.59
   gross income                                               400604.76

   operating expenses
   dealer sto payments               81000.00
   crc support fees                  50000.00
   itd salary & fringe benefits      50000.00
   hardware                          13851.98
   food&beverage                      6837.58
   advertising                        4842.16
   space rental & renovation          1946.40
   security                           1446.25
   supplies, carts                    1284.57
   itsc setup fees                    1250.00
   total itd operating exp                    212458.94

   p&cs order processing                       43298.50
   stores event planning             16500.00
   stores material handling          16110.00
   stores material reconciliation     5000.00
   stores after sale pickup           2350.00
   stores system support              5584.00
   stores order processing            2811.50
   incremental event labor            2671.00
   Mac technics fees                  2500.00
   printing                          19158.89
   postage                            5327.28
   coliseum rental                    9875.86
   coliseum renovation                1138.19
   euipment rental                    2096.89
   dsc chrges                         1925.94
   supplies                           1923.00

  - - - - -
  Nov30/89 18:55
  902:158) Tom Diroff:
   trash removal                      1240.00
   high low rental                     997.50
   phone service                       843.47
   insurance                           700.00
   space rental                        135.00
   total stores                                98889.36
   total operating expenses                                      354646.80

   net gain                                                       45957.96
  - - - - -
  Nov30/89 22:57
  902:159) Charlie Clark: Thanks for entering this Tom.  Do you think that this
   shows that the U does make full cost recovery on this sale, or doesn't (ie
   are there more than 46k of unrecovered costs to be found?)

dennisg@kgw2.UUCP (Dennis Glatting) (12/02/89)

In article <964@abvax.UUCP>, jaz@abvax.UUCP (Jack A. Zucker) writes:
> Since I am interested in doing software development on the NeXT platform,
> I've been following this thread with particular interest. I've got a question:
> Has anyone bought a system from Businessland or are most of you NeXT users
> college students, etc.

i'm doing a redundant global satellite system using two NeXTs which are
geographically dispersed.  i bought two from the cincinnati BuisnessLand.
i can accept your critizm that they cost too much, but in my case i
was desperate.  the cost of the hardware was very small compared
to the dollars i was loosing in inactive programmer time.

as for my system i four satellite transceiver to communicate with.  three
of them directly.  the NeXT with its threads is a good solution, although
it isn't real-time.  my only real problem i've had so far is:
1. lack of coordination in the documentation area.  we're constantly
   having to try things to determine their effect.  also we have to
   tear through the stuff in /usr/include to find things, like what's
   the difference between port_t and port_name_t.
2. Objective-C.  i not sure whether to critize the language (which
   is very easy to do) or its implementation.  perhaps it wouldn't be
   such a pain if i took the developer class (i suspect it might
   no have made a difference).

of the twenty some tasks we have to write, only three interface with
the operator, therefore our O-C is minimal.

things are progressing well, although not as well as i had
anticipated.

bottom line---i'd use the NeXT platform again with no reservations.
threads make it better than a Sun.

==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==
 ..umbc3.umbc.edu!tron!kgw2!dennisg
      + Dennis P. Glatting
      + Xetron Corporation
      + Cincinnati, Ohio
      +  I want my own NeXT, 16 MB RAM,
      +    660 MB SCSI, NeXT Printer.
      +    Accepting Donations.
==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==+==

amthor@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Geoffrey Amthor) (12/02/89)

> [...]
>manufacturers sell direct to the students of that college, through some
>under-the-table agreement with a college, systems for their own personal
>use -- below the cost at which any other dealer or distributor could obtain
>them.  IBM, Zenith, Apple and others have been doing this for years.  In
>fact, some people argue that these companies are selling to the students
>>below cost<!
>
>What the companies are trying to do is build brand loyalty while the kids
>are in school -- so they'll take that loyalty with them when they graduate,
>and hopefully populate businesses with those same machines.
>
>--
>Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
>Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]
>Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.		"Quality Solutions at a Fair Price"

Well, let's all throw out the baby with the bathwater.  Clearly the situation
is not ideal; universities should not be able to sell truckloads of computers
and then expect local dealers to handle support and service.  But your
solution of banning discounted sales to students and faculty is far more
damaging than the problem.

Students now pay up to $20,000 a year for some of the better private
universities.  Students now entering those schools can expect to lay out
as much as $100,000, including expenses, for a Bachelor's degree.  Sure,
some of the poorest kids get financial aid, but most families are savaged.
And the situation's getting worse.

One of the best ways a university can prepare a student for the world is
by making sure that he/she is computer literate.  That's more than just
typing in term papers on the campus VAX.  That's having a computer of
their own, and learning all possible applications and learning how to
program.  You're never going to get that kind of commitment out of students
unless they get some kind personal link to their machines.  Witness what
the Mac did to personal computing.  But where are they going to find the
money?

There's a similar situation with faculty.  Sure, computer science Ph.D.'s
know what a computer can do for them, but how are you going to convince
the humanities faculty that they can get a lot out of computers?  Most
faculty I know aren't rolling in money, and a NeXT at $10,000 is a pretty
staggering investment.  A NeXT at $6,500-$7,000 is also a pretty
staggering investment, but you're lowering the risk and making it a lot
more accessible.

Furthermore, once a university makes a commitment to promoting personal
computer use, you can get the benefits of volume.  You get network faculty
offices, libraries, and dorm rooms.  For a machine like the NeXT, the
potential benefits are tremendous.  That fancy electronic voice mail is
useless without a lot of NeXTs around.  That "world on a disk" concept
doesn't get you far without a lot of machines around campus to plug into.

A good university computer policy doesn't just open up semi-trucks and send
the users scurrying to dealers for support.  It should have the following
components:

1. Significant discounts below retail.
2. Finanical aid available for the truly poor students, so that you don't
   get a situation where only the rich kids get the boxes.
3. Interest-free loans available to anybody who needs them, so that students
   or faculty can pay off their machines over several years (but before
   graduation).
4. Strict limitation of discounts to students and faculty.
5. Strict "one machine per student/faculty" policy; if a student or faculty
   member wants a new machine, he/she must sell the old one back to the
   university for fair market value--and that machine will be sold again used.
6. Large enough margins added to the vendors' wholesale price so that the
   university can handle service and support.  That means no $6500 NeXT
   machines; $7,000 sounds about reasonable.  Students should be directed
   to go to the *university* for both support and service.  Yes, that means
   the university has to hire technicians, but that's the price of privilege.
   If service is given during the warranty period, the university should be
   reimbursed by the computer vendor just as any dealer would be.
7. Direct mailings to student families and to faculty, explaining the
   university's computer policies and endorsing the use of computers.  A lot
   of parents may see a potential computer purchase as an expensive whim
   cooked up by their son or daughter.  This misconception needs to be
   cleared up.
8. Monthly trade shows offered at the expense of computer vendors.  These shows
   help to drum up interest and makes vendors accessible to students and
   faculty.
9. Network installed all across campus.  Students should be able to plug in
   from their dorm rooms, faculty from their office, and anybody with a disk
   should be able to plug into a variety of machines at public access areas.

In sum, universities should make it as easy as possible for students and
faculty to obtain computers, without offloading service and support to
dealers.  I don't buy the argument that dealers have a *right* to university
sales; however, I do accept that dealers shouldn't be expected to pick up
the shit work.  Perhaps this could be legislated: in order to be eligible
for a discounting program, any given university would have to put in place
adequate support and service.  But to deny all discounts would be taking
a sledgehammer to the the problem, doing a disservice to students, faculty,
and to the country as a whole.  As the gap between skilled job vacancies and
qualified applicants widens, it is suicidal to deny tools to the very people
who need them to improve themselves.

joe@mathcs.emory.edu (Joe Christy) (12/03/89)

In article <235@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> amthor@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu.UUCP (Geoffrey Amthor) writes:

	(includes a lot of previous articles that you've read by now, and
	then addresses some of the issues of educational discounts.
	... finally, summarizing, he says:)

>adequate support and service.  But to deny all discounts would be taking
>a sledgehammer to the the problem, doing a disservice to students, faculty,
>and to the country as a whole.  As the gap between skilled job vacancies and
>qualified applicants widens, it is suicidal to deny tools to the very people
>who need them to improve themselves.

	To bring this back to bear on the complaints about dealers supplying
service: one of the reasons service is such a problem for dealers is
massive ignorance. They are swamped by users who have only the vaguest
idea about how any aspect of their computer works. Generally the
distressed user is refered to a technician who has only marginally
greater command of the facts. Think how much easier the service people's
life would be if they didn't have to ascertain whether the power switch
was turned on, where the write protect tab on the diskette was, etc.
Think how much less frustrating the user's life would be if they didn't
have to buy a computer from a salesman who told them that they wouldn't
need a spreadsheet if they had Mathematica, or have their machine
serviced by a person who doesn't understand what stresses can cause a
power supply to fail repeatedly? Now how are you going to EDUCATE people
and eliminate these problems? Doesn't it make sense to invest in giving
people who are interested in learning easy access to sophisticated
computers?

--
Joe Christy         | joe@mathcs.emory.edu      | Time flies like an
Emory University    | {decvax,gatech}!emory!joe | arrow, fruit flies

rca@brunix (Ronald C.F. Antony) (12/03/89)

I guess you have no idea what you are talking about!
If I study at Brown and have to pay for school and living
30000$ a year, then do you think I will go and pay a dealer
his living?
If I earn my living with the use of my computer and software,
then I should let live others, i.e. dealers.
But if I have only to pay, in order just to get a good education
then NEVER DO I EVEN THINK OF SUPPORTING A DEALER WITH A SINGLE
CENT!
You should be happy with these sales, because it builds up the
customer base of the next generation.
Besides that, there are agreements concearning support.
Why, please, do you think do students have to pay 7000$ + sales
tax for a NeXT which sells for 6500$ to the university, if not
for support?
In a time when the cost of a good education skyrocket, it is
COMPLETELY OUT OF PLACE to rally against student rabbates?
After all, it is the industry and the bussinesses which need
qualified employees.
If you want to ruin the US economics, then just go on in this
direction. You can be sure that in a few years you will have
to pay much more for the education of your employees than you
loose with sales because of student rabbates.

I advise anyone never to buy stuff at your place!

Ronald
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists
in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the
unreasonable man." - Bernhard Shaw | rca@cs.brown.edu or antony@cogsci.bitnet

edwardm@hpcuhc.HP.COM (Edward McClanahan) (12/05/89)

Karl Denninger responds:

> >On this line, though, I have heard rumors of upcomming legislation to
> prevent educational discounts.

> It's about time the law was changed on this.

> One of the things that REALLY pisses off a dealer is when the local college
> sells 3,000 machines BELOW THE DEALER'S COST to students -- and the dealer
> gets stuck supporting those units.  Some of those, inevitably, find their
> way into the grey market and outside of the university.

> The result of this?  Ask the dealers in Ann Arbor, MI.  More than a couple
> have gone out of business in the last couple of years due to the U of M's
> "Truckload sales".  Happens every year.

> This is not good folks.  Remember, this isn't like signing a dealer on -- the
> universities are literally opening up the backs of Semi Trailers and selling
> the machines off the loading docks!  Support and service?  That's for the
> local dealers to provide (free, of course, since the system does come with a
> warranty!)

Wait a minute...  I realize that "support and service" takes time.  And, that
"service" is often not billed to the customer because they have a warranty.
But I think you are missing something here...

Consider the case of an Auto Dealer Service Department.  They do not insist
that you bought your car at their dealership in order to get warranty service.
Of course, they would like that to be true (so they make money there, too).
But when a dealer's service department does warrenty work on my car, they
simply bill the manufacturer.  The best example I can remember is when my
'84 Fiero was "recalled".  I bought the car in Southern CA and now live in
the Bay Area.  No, I didn't have to take the car 400 miles to be worked on.
I wasn't even asked.  In fact, GM kindly suggested a dealer close to where
I now live to do the work (probably around $2500 on my car, others had entire
engines replaced).  Admittedly, one reason shops don't like to do warranty
work is because the manufacturer doesn't pay them as much per hour as the
lowly customer.  Thus, if the warranty work prevents the shop from doing
non-warranty service (where they make more money), they might mind.

I don't view a service station (or computer retailer) getting additional
customers (that they get paid to service by either the manufacturer or
the customer) to be a bad thing.  If a shop can't handle the demand, they
are missing a great opportunity.  They name of the game is VOLUME, remember?

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company
  Mail Stop 47UE              -or-     edwardm%hpda@hplabs.hp.com
  19447 Pruneridge Avenue
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Phone: (408)447-5651

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (12/05/89)

Does anyone knows if there is anyway to turn off the speaker but still can
control volume of headphone?  I like to listen music while working on the
NeXT, but don't want to disturbe anyothers in the computer room.
Any idea?

Thank in advance to whoever helps
| "When is a revolution legal? When it   |Chun Yao Liao +++ cyliao@wam.umd.edu|
|  succeeds." -August Strindberg         |    The Oriental from Argentina!    |
|___________Don't we need a revolution on the computer technology?____________|

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (12/06/89)

In article <132@kgw2.UUCP> dennisg@kgw2.UUCP (Dennis Glatting) writes:
>1. lack of coordination in the documentation area.  we're constantly
>   having to try things to determine their effect.  also we have to
>   tear through the stuff in /usr/include to find things, like what's
>   the difference between port_t and port_name_t.

I'll second this one.  I have been trying to write a ScrollView which will
take multiple ClipViews and have multiple vertical Scrollers.  I'm using
it to display data time aligned with a sound (for checking DSP
algorithms, etc.  Also, you could build a ScrollingSound which uses several
lines to display the sound with this class.
I've had to write a number of prototype programs to test out things which
were either unclear or lacking in the documentation.  I know this has
slowed progress, but nevertheless, things are progressing well.

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

walters@chance.uucp (Chris Walters) (12/06/89)

In article <21632@ut-emx.UUCP> kdp9565@walt.cc.utexas.edu
(Keith D. Perkins) writes:

>	About whether the NeXT will sell or not, it depends on a lot of
>factors. IMHO, the biggest obsticle to overcome is the compatibility
>problems. If the NeXT had a DOS or MAC window that it could open and
>run those operating systems programs, it would sell a lot better.

IMHO, a NeXT supported X Windows implementation would also help.

-- Chris Walters, MITRE McLean

izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) (12/07/89)

>In article <21632@ut-emx.UUCP> kdp9565@walt.cc.utexas.edu
>(Keith D. Perkins) writes:
>>
>>	About whether the NeXT will sell or not, it depends on a lot of
>>factors. IMHO, the biggest obsticle to overcome is the compatibility
>>problems. If the NeXT had a DOS or MAC window that it could open and
>>run those operating systems programs, it would sell a lot better.

I don't know.  I would RATHER have NeXT spend their time to
develop better native NeXT applications than have them screw
around with compatibility window programs which are compatible 95%
(or any %tage you like) at best.

Seriously, does anybody actually USE such things in a non-temprary
manner?  There was once such a thing called "Mac-Charlie" for
emulating PC on Mac.  Have you seen one?   Amiga tried to put PC
bus into their boxes.  Does anybody actually have Intel processor
board in their Amiga?  There was once a CP/M board for PC's.
I don't think these things are worth the effort, other than to
keep dumb industry analysts happy.

NeXT should just strive to deliver and demonstrate that they have
much better Apps worth switching over to.

They should, however, make these switches as easy as possible
for anyone contemplating a switch.  Capability of WriteNow and
FrameMaker to read RTF files is great.  There should be many more
of these conversion utilities which are easy to use.
E.g., WordPerfect to RTF converter, 1-2-3 to WingZ converter.

Izumi Ohzawa
izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Pablo Fernicola) (12/07/89)

In article <1989Dec7.101853.7547@agate.berkeley.edu> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:

>Seriously, does anybody actually USE such things in a non-temprary
>manner?  There was once such a thing called "Mac-Charlie" for
>emulating PC on Mac.  Have you seen one?   Amiga tried to put PC
>
>Izumi Ohzawa
>izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

There is a software emulation of PeeCee s :-) called SoftPC.  This application
has been ported to several different platforms (Mac and Silicon Graphics are
the ones I have used).  It is a complete emulation (even things like Flight
Simulator and Windows ran).  Best of all it is all in software.

This and other emulators are usefull when the software package that you need
is not available on the machine that you are using,

If SoftPC was ported to the NeXT I am sure that there would be many people
who would find it very useful.

Pablo
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu
--
pff@beach.cis.ufl.edu - Pablo Fernicola - Machine Intelligence Laboratory - UF
		IF YOU CARE ENOUGH TO READ SIGNATURES ...

bruce@atncpc.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (12/08/89)

In article <1989Dec7.101853.7547@agate.berkeley.edu>, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
> of these conversion utilities which are easy to use.
> E.g., WordPerfect to RTF converter, 1-2-3 to WingZ converter.
>
> Izumi Ohzawa
> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu

Don't make me laugh!  WingZ? I think we should count ourselves really lucky if they [WingZ] ever decide to make thier peice 'o crap look like a NeXT (not Mac) application!!!!!!

Bruce Henderson
Ashton Tate
NeXTeam  -- interface KGB

33616228@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (12/08/89)

> Who will buy the NeXT? Students?

   Well, in reference to that question, maybe I should give an answer.
I am one of the few undergraduates to possess a NeXT, the only one
to have bought one with his own money ($7500 via Cornell, 8mb OD only).
As far as I am aware, there is one other grad student in California
who owns a NeXT, other than from that, student reception to the NeXT's
has been cold when it gets down to the pocketbook.
   Cornell has one of the largest NeXT sites, 30 or so public machines,
which is one major reason I chose to come here.
   What am I using my NeXT for? Well, other than from coursework, I am
also one of the few student developers, and maybe the only idependent
student developer (I am independent of Cornell and everyone else).
   I am currently finishing off a ChristmasWare program called Cassandra
which is a real-time spiffy scheduler (GUI of course). It took me over a
year to write this on my old machine, 2 months on the NeXT with IB. IB
is truly amazing. Look for it on the networks before Christmas.
   Other projects (winter break projects): Voice spectrometer for
the psycholinguists and linguists out there, a Postscript-> Dot Matrix
Printer driver (god help me), and a Macintalk-like hack.
   The people at NeXT (hi ali!) and at Cornell have been very good to me.
Personally, I'm glad I picked the NeXT over a toaster, though the OD
has been boggin me down a bit. Oh well, once I get my accelerator and then
my 330(dreams dreams dreams...). Sorry for my ramblings.

-------------------
Flames to /dev/null
E-mail:   ac6y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu   (reliable)
          jiro@heights.cit.cornell.edu (unreliable)
SnailMail: 238 Risley, Cornell U., Ithaca NY 14853
Voice: (607) 253-0691   Fax: (607) 253-8525

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (12/08/89)

In article <19657@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ac6y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>   Well, in reference to that question, maybe I should give an answer.
>I am one of the few undergraduates to possess a NeXT, the only one
>to have bought one with his own money ($7500 via Cornell, 8mb OD only).

I object. I am also an undergraduate and have purchased a NeXT and hard
drive with my own money. There are others out there also, you are not
the only one.

>   What am I using my NeXT for? Well, other than from coursework, I am
>also one of the few student developers, and maybe the only idependent
>student developer (I am independent of Cornell and everyone else).

I'm a developer also (remember LockScreen? (soon to be updated for 1.0))
but you won't be seeing much from me because I have a serious lack of
time.

I think you will be seeing more and more students owning them soon, they
are just looking for the money right now.

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/09/89)

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) writes:

>In article <19657@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ac6y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jiro Nakamura) writes:
>>   Well, in reference to that question, maybe I should give an answer.
>>I am one of the few undergraduates to possess a NeXT, the only one
>>to have bought one with his own money ($7500 via Cornell, 8mb OD only).

>I object. I am also an undergraduate and have purchased a NeXT and hard
>drive with my own money. There are others out there also, you are not
>the only one.

Ditto! I bought one (after selling my Mac II for the same price no less!).
Also, in the math department at UT where I am a system administrator, there
are half a dozen which are either personal machines or lab machines.

The microcenter at UT has sold dozens to students and professors even
though they charge $7200 for the base machine. A damn rip-off given
the amount of service I require of them.

Chris
--
Chris Whatley
Work: chari@pelican.ma.utexas.edu (NeXT Mail)		(512/471-7711 ext 123)

hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (12/12/89)

In article <1989Dec8.232717.17733@nueces.cactus.org> chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) writes:

>jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) writes:

>Ditto! I bought one (after selling my Mac II for the same price no less!).
>Also, in the math department at UT where I am a system administrator, there
>are half a dozen which are either personal machines or lab machines.
>
>The microcenter at UT has sold dozens to students and professors even
>though they charge $7200 for the base machine. A damn rip-off given
>the amount of service I require of them.

Since you sold your Mac for the same price as your NeXT, and you claim
a rip-off, the question arises:  did you get more support for your Mac II
from the microcenter?

Also, does the microcenter support any other UNIX boxes?

Just curious...but if the answer to both is not "yes", this
might account for some of the support cost.

 //=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=\\
|| Larry J. Hughes, Senior Programmer ||  hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu   ||
||        Indiana University          ||                                   ||
||   University Computing Services    ||  "The person who knows everything ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass     ||     has a lot to learn."          ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405        ||                                   ||
||         (812) 855-9255             ||  Disclaimer: See quote above.     ||
 \\=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=//

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/12/89)

hughes@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) writes:

>In article <1989Dec8.232717.17733@nueces.cactus.org> chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) writes:
>>
>>The microcenter at UT has sold dozens to students and professors even
>>though they charge $7200 for the base machine. A damn rip-off given
>>the amount of service I require of them.
>>

>Since you sold your Mac for the same price as your NeXT, and you claim
>a rip-off, the question arises:  did you get more support for your Mac II
>from the microcenter?

I bought my Mac II from a dealer and sold it to a non-student. I got
oodles of support from my dealer (Mr. Micro in Dallas).

>Also, does the microcenter support any other UNIX boxes?

No. There are no others like the NeXT. But, they don't support the NeXT.
The campus UNIX consultants do that. I don't know if any of the money I
spend goes to the comp center. I would assume that it doesn't.

What has my $700.00 gone for? I don't know. If it pays a consultant's
salary, then fine. If it pays for the maintenance guys to swap out my
two faulty opticals and change the fuse in my printer, I'd rather pay
the by the hour. I don't like flat service fees like this because, as
is usual, I have not gotten or asked for $700.00 worth of anyone's
time. In fact, the biggest drain on the consultant's time I have asked
for was help with sendmail. NeXT needs to make a config file compiler.
Sendmail is hell.

Chris

--

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/12/89)

/* Written  4:59 pm  Dec  7, 1989 by bruce@atncpc.UUCP in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
In article <1989Dec7.101853.7547@agate.berkeley.edu>, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) writes:
>> of these conversion utilities which are easy to use.
>> E.g., WordPerfect to RTF converter, 1-2-3 to WingZ converter.
>>
>> Izumi Ohzawa
>> izumi@violet.berkeley.edu
>
>Don't make me laugh!  WingZ? I think we should count ourselves really lucky if they [WingZ] ever decide to make thier peice 'o crap look like a NeXT (not Mac) application!!!!!!
>

>Bruce Henderson
>Ashton Tate
 ^^^^^^^^^^
>NeXTeam  -- interface KGB
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */

A little professional slamming on the nets?  Is this the official Ashton Tate
policy or was there supposed to be a standard disclaimer?  Maybe you should
back up your statement with a description of dBase NeXT or Full Impact for the
NeXT.  Or is there another spreadsheet you are working on?

Michael Rutman
SoftMed

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (12/13/89)

/ comp.sys.next / jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu / Dec 12, 1989 /
>Ashton Tate
 ^^^^^^^^^^
A little professional slamming on the nets?  Is this the official Ashton Tate
policy or was there supposed to be a standard disclaimer?
----------

There is ALWAYS an implied disclaimer.  See news.announce.newusers.

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (12/13/89)

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>/* Written  4:59 pm  Dec  7, 1989 by bruce@atncpc.UUCP in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
>>Don't make me laugh!  WingZ? I think we should count ourselves really lucky if they [WingZ] ever decide to make thier peice 'o crap look like a NeXT (not Mac) application!!!!!!
>>

>>Bruce Henderson
>>Ashton Tate
> ^^^^^^^^^^

>A little professional slamming on the nets?  Is this the official Ashton Tate
>policy or was there supposed to be a standard disclaimer?  Maybe you should
>back up your statement with a description of dBase NeXT or Full Impact for the
>NeXT.  Or is there another spreadsheet you are working on?

Oooh dBase NeXT! I can't wait!!! That's exactly what I need on my NeXT! Barf!

Chris

--

bruce@atncpc.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (12/16/89)

> >>Don't make me laugh!  WingZ? I think we should count ourselves really lucky if they [WingZ] ever decide to make thier peice 'o crap look like a NeXT (not Mac) application!!!!!!
> >>

> >>Bruce Henderson
> >>Ashton Tate
> > ^^^^^^^^^^
>
> >A little professional slamming on the nets?  Is this the official Ashton Tate
> >policy or was there supposed to be a standard disclaimer?  Maybe you should
> >back up your statement with a description of dBase NeXT or Full Impact for the
> >NeXT.  Or is there another spreadsheet you are working on?
>
> Oooh dBase NeXT! I can't wait!!! That's exactly what I need on my NeXT! Barf!
>
> Chris

look here!!!
All opinions expresses by the Interface KGB are official KGB opinion and policy!
and as far as Ashton Tate is concerned....  We'd be a lot better off if we
had an official policy!!!!

[BTW... the thought of dBase NeXT makes me barf, too!]

Bruce..
atncpc!bruce@next.com

jmann@bigbootay (Jim Mann) (12/16/89)

One thing that is going to hurt sales of NeXT in some areas is its cost.
If you are a individual and trying to decide between a NeXT and a Sun
(let's say) or between a NeXT and a fully loaded MAC II, the prices are
competitive.  However, for companies buying more than one of the machines,
you can get substantial (sometimes above 30%) discounts on Suns or
MACs.  BusinessLand, however, says that no way, no how are they going
to give discounts on the NeXT, even if you want to buy a stack of them.
The NeXT does NOT compare favorably in price to a discounted Sun or
MAC II, and thus they are going to lose some sales based on this.

in article <1989Dec7.101853.7547@agate.berkeley.edu>, izumi@violet.berkeley.edu (Izumi Ohzawa) says:

>>In article <21632@ut-emx.UUCP> kdp9565@walt.cc.utexas.edu
>>(Keith D. Perkins) writes:

> Amiga tried to put PC bus into their boxes.  Does anybody actually
> have Intel processor board in their Amiga?

Actually, we succeeded.  There are two different PC cards that work in
Amigas, one XT compatible, one AT compatible.  They aren't the fastest
PC-Clone around, but they work good, run most everything, and show up
in a window on your Amiga's screen.  I use one at work for the one
program I use regularly that I can't get for the Amiga yet, a good
PAL compiler.  Believe it or not, a PC clone makes a good PAL programmer.
Some other folks use them, which some interface software, to drive
PC-bus Truevision Targa boards from Amiga applications.  It's not like
_every_ A2000/A2500 owner buys one of these things, but they have been
more successful than Commodore expected.

And the mere existence of the board lets you check the "PC compatible"
box on the P.O., which some company bean counters require.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
                    Too much of everything is just enough

dwi@manta.NOSC.MIL (Steve Stamper) (12/23/89)

[.. about Amiga and XT Card  ..]
One important aspect to the Amiga Bridgeboard card, it provides
near 100% PC-XT/AT HARDWARE compatibility as well.  Allowing
companies/users to purchase inexpensive PC hardware for their
systems.  Of course you need the bridgeboard to do this and it
works from the "PC Side" of things, but for some nice EPROM and
single chip computer (8085 and such) programming tools it has
worked out nicely, in addition there are some inexpensive
PC BUS voice mail systems, and probably a lot of other things
that are nice to tie into.  So unlike the Mac II cards, the Amiga
Bridgeboard solution brings Software & hardware compatibility
to the 680X0 world, and it works fine.
-Roger