[comp.sys.next] 1.0 Documentation?

dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) (12/19/89)

Someone mentioned awhile back that the 1.0 Technical Documentation
was due out in December.  Well, its Dec. 18.  Has anyone seen it yet?

David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuphil.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET

g2k@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Frederic Giacometti) (12/19/89)

In article <1989Dec18.234322.13467@sjuphil.uucp>, dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) writes:
> Someone mentioned awhile back that the 1.0 Technical Documentation
> was due out in December.  Well, its Dec. 18.  Has anyone seen it yet?

Well, if David had tried it, he would have seen they don't work. The question
is the following: when does NeXT intend to implement accents on its machines. This
situation is of the most amazing, IBM pc's, Macs of all sorts, Amigas have accents
working, but not NeXT. This limits very much word processing, even in non-technical
english, were many French words are used which have accents.

We hope that some understanding hear is listening us at NeXT.

eht@f.word.cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec18.234322.13467@sjuphil.uucp> dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP () writes:
>Someone mentioned awhile back that the 1.0 Technical Documentation
>was due out in December.  Well, its Dec. 18.  Has anyone seen it yet?

Dec 21 is the ship date I've been quoted by NeXT.  No information on an update
for the on-line documentation (I'm actually more interested in this).

--
Eric H. Thayer      School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon
(412) 268-7679      5000 Forbes Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15213

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (12/20/89)

/* Written  5:43 pm  Dec 18, 1989 by dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
/* ---------- "1.0 Documentation?" ---------- */
>Someone mentioned awhile back that the 1.0 Technical Documentation
>was due out in December.  Well, its Dec. 18.  Has anyone seen it yet?
>
>--
>David Carpenter            dcarpent@sjuphil.UUCP
>St. Joseph's University    dcarpent%sjuphil.sju.edu@relay.cs.net
>Philadelphia, PA  19131    ST_JOSEPH@HVRFORD.BITNET
/* End of text from uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */

I called NeXT a short time ago and was told they were going to try to get it
out by the end of the month, but not to be to hopeful.  Personally, I think
it is pretty poor to release the system before the dox are ready, but I am
still patient with the company because of their young age and their lack of
vaporware.  I have not seen them grossly miss a deadline yet.

Michael Rutman
SoftMed

dennisg@kgw2.uucp.WEC.COM (Dennis Glatting) (12/20/89)

In article <1989Dec18.234322.13467@sjuphil.uucp>, dcarpent@sjuphil.uucp (D. Carpenter) writes:
> Someone mentioned awhile back that the 1.0 Technical Documentation
> was due out in December.  Well, its Dec. 18.  Has anyone seen it yet?

the people i talked to said it was due out in mid december but ups
to NeXT that holiday toys and things come first.  the docs will be delayed
until after the holidays.

--
 dennisg@kgw2.UUCP.WEC.COM  | Dennis P. Glatting
 tron!kgw2!dennisg          |

rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Bob Powell) (12/24/89)

In article <246300076@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

[ a question from David Carpenter about 1.0 Tech Doc ship date ]

>...  Personally, I think
>it is pretty poor to release the system before the dox are ready, but I am
>still patient with the company because of their young age and their lack of
>vaporware.  I have not seen them grossly miss a deadline yet.
 ^^^^^^^^^

Not wanting to start another flame war, but doesn't the current
situation count as vaporware?  That is, the product (in this case,
technical documentation) has been promised, but hasn't appeared yet.
True, it's not the end of December yet, but who actually believes
that Next will get the docs shipped with all the holiday hullaballoo?
I too am patient with Next, if only because I want to see 'em squoosh
IBM's butt, but the not-yet-shipping Nextbus chip is beginning to
look like vaporware.  Dare I say that the tech docs are also turning
to vapor before our very eyes?

Bob