[net.auto] Tune-up problem

swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins) (08/28/85)

~
I have a '78 Plymouth Arrow GT, 2.0L that I've had for 1.5 years now.
I have been tuning it up myself; for the third time, recently, since I've
had the car and can't seem to get the power response I used to get.

Prior to tune-up, it started with a bunch of blue smoke (esp. when
it was warm) and a lot of difficulty. Once running, it was fine.
In fact, it was as peppy as ever.

Now that I've tuned it up (rotor, cap, points.. they were out of
condensers), it starts well but it doesn't have the power it did
before.  When accelerating, it hesitates slightly and then picks
up a bit.  It definitely feels strained compared to before.  I
have rechecked the point gap (0.018-0.021") several times now, timing
it do 5 degrees BTDC each time and it still does the same thing.
I have looked for possible shorts (the timing light DOES appear to be
a bit dim; it is an in-line jobby, not inductive pick-up).

Could a new condenser be the need?  Hard to believe...

Maybe getting NAPA parts was my first mistake.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Scott W. Collins
ATT - Bare Rubber Trees

pwv@fluke.UUCP (Pat Vilbrandt) (09/04/85)

> From: swc@cbscc.UUCP (Scott W. Collins)

> I have a '78 Plymouth Arrow GT, 2.0L that I've had for 1.5 years now.
    .
    .
> Prior to tune-up, it started with a bunch of blue smoke (esp. when
> it was warm) and a lot of difficulty. Once running, it was fine.

Blue smoke indicates unburned fuel.  If the engine runs well otherwise
(doesn't miss, cough, etc.) and the ignition tune-up didn't help much,
your problem sounds like a fuel system leak.

If I intrepret your description correctly, the engine was difficult to start
esp. when warm and put out blue smoke when the engine did finally start.
A fuel leak into the engine will flood the engine making for difficult
starting.  If the engine has a chance to cool down, the fuel that leaked into
the engine will also have had time to evaporate and/or leak into the crankcase
(and dilute the oil - you can sometimes verify this, especially if the car
has been driven only for short runs, by smelling the oil on the end of the
dipstick.  If it smells strongly of unburned fuel - Bingo!).

I doubt that the condenser would have anything to do with the problem - its
main function is to prevent excessive point arc'ing and therefore increase
point life.

The age of the car (8 yrs.) indicates that it probably is due for a carb
rebuild.  Unless you have successfully rebuilt a carb before, I suggest
that you buy a rebuilt carb from a reliable auto parts place and install
it yourself.  There are other wear out mechanisms besides gaskets which
rebuild kits don't address, not the least of which is throttle and throttle
body wear.  *GOOD* rebuilt carbs are screened for excessive wear as they
are rebuilt, and therefore, on high mileage cars are the way to go.

					Good Luck!

--

   Pat Vilbrandt
   John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.