[comp.sys.next] Technical info wanted

peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) (12/21/89)

In article <17855@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU>, cattelan@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU (Russell Cattelan) writes:

> [ unrelated technical stuff ]
>
> P.S. Can we please get back to talking about the NeXT computer.
>      Maybe we should start a new group Alt.flame.NeXT_vs_Apple

Well, I have set up my mailer to route the comp.sys.next
news group directly to my mailbox, which worked fine in
the early months of the machine. Unfortunately, as several
people have pointed out recently, there has been an
explosion of mail in this group, most of it either
user questions or discussions on the relative merits of
NeXT versus Mac (note I did _not_ say flames! :-).

Although I appreciate that much of this is of interest to
many people, I simply do _not_ have to time to wade
through all this stuff looking for technical info on the
NeXT. This is exactly why I stopped routing "sunspots" to my
mbox, and now I find that I only occasionally get around
to browsing through that group. I would like to avoid
having to di this with comp.sys.next.

As campus support and a real enthusiast for the NeXT I
want to keep abreast of developments from the company, bug
reports and fixes, new software news, etc. but I really
don't have time to read all the discussions that are
currently flooding in. I wouldn't dare to presume to ask
the posters to restrain themselves (1/2 :-) so:

[ asbestos suit on ]

Perhaps we might consider forming a suitable subgroup or
two. I would be happy with either comp.sys.next.d _or_
comp.sys.next.tech (or maybe both?). At the risk of
starting another flaming discussion/war, anyone else wish
to comment?  If the first three postings flame me for
taking up net bandwidth, would all others please post to
me and I'll summarize...

Of course, another alternative is that the Mac versus NeXt
people take their discussion to another group :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

[ creeeeaaakkk. Is it safe to come out now? ]

			- peterd

+-------+	Peter Deutsch,			    -- where am I? --
| u # u |	School of Computer Science,	internet: peterd@cs.mcgill.ca
|/\/\/\/|	McGill University,		bitnet:  peterd@musocs
| a   a |	3480 University St.		uucp:..!mit-eddie!musocs!peterd
\   a   /	Montreal, Que, Canada, H3A 2A7	phone:  (514) 398-6698
 \_____/                                        fax:   (514) 398-3883
		"These are only my opinions, but I'm willing to share..."
moderator that could ban people that absolutely insist on argueing their
favorite computers.

Michael Rutman
SoftMed
#include "standard disclaimer.h"

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (12/28/89)

In article <1808@opus.cs.mcgill.ca> peterd@opus.cs.mcgill.ca (Peter Deutsch) writes:

>Well, I have set up my mailer to route the comp.sys.next
>news group directly to my mailbox, which worked fine in
>the early months of the machine. Unfortunately, as several
>people have pointed out recently, there has been an
>explosion of mail in this group, most of it either
>user questions or discussions on the relative merits of
>NeXT versus Mac (note I did _not_ say flames! :-).

Peter, how did you do this? Why not post that little trick to the
nets here so those of us who are ALSO bleeping tired of this debate
can choose to route this group that way when (if) it ever gets back
to discussing the NeXT technical issues and programming feats.

>As campus support and a real enthusiast for the NeXT I
>want to keep abreast of developments from the company, bug
>reports and fixes, new software news, etc. but I really
>don't have time to read all the discussions that are
>currently flooding in.

I also am a NeXT Campus Rep. I rely on this net, and am VERY
thankfulf or those who have helped in the past and who may
continue to do so in the future, especially those from NeXT
Inc. But really, I can only hope Ali and Avie aren't also
passing over this group becuase of the unfortunate turn our
musings have taken. Those who prefer the MAC will buy a MAC,
those who prefer to look at something different and new may
opt for NeXT...couldn't we just leave it at that?

...now where did I put my fire insurance policy...

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University
FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU