[comp.sys.next] Port of g++

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (12/29/89)

Has anyone succeeded in porting g++?

jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (01/01/90)

/* Written  6:16 pm  Dec 28, 1989 by sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu in uxa.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.next */
/* ---------- "Re: Port of g++" ---------- */
>Has anyone succeeded in porting g++?

As I have seen this question several times in the past, I was curious, why would
anyone want to port g++ to the NeXT?

Michael Rutman
SoftMed

In article <246300081@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>As I have seen this question several times in the past, I was
>curious, why would anyone want to port g++ to the NeXT?

For the same reason they're clamoring for X Windows, MS-DOS
emulation and floppy disk drives.

They just don't understand.  (Although there is merit in being
able to say one has the complete GNU suite running on any
particular platform, that's not the point.  The problem is when
Marketing departments perceive requests for the hideous, wretched
things that crippled other products as "consumer demand" and
destroy what otherwise would have been an outstanding
achievement.  What do you get when you "follow" everyone else
because it's "safe" and punish originality and creativity?
90% of what's on the market!  America once had a reputation for
ingenuity and excellence.  Japan, et al. didn't "do us in."  We
did it to ourselves.  It's not too late to break the cycle.)

As I understand it, NeXT is going to return their gcc with the
Objective-C support to FSF, in which case I concur--why bother
with g++?  (In the absence of a LARGE amount of preexisting
code written with g++ in mind, a/k/a "the FORTRAN argument.")

					-=EPS=-
standard disclaimer

spl@mcnc.org (Steve Lamont) (01/02/90)

In article <213@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <246300081@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>As I have seen this question several times in the past, I was
>>curious, why would anyone want to port g++ to the NeXT?
>
>For the same reason they're clamoring for X Windows, MS-DOS
>emulation and floppy disk drives.
>
>They just don't understand.  (Although there is merit in being
>able to say one has the complete GNU suite running on any
>particular platform, that's not the point.  The problem is when
>Marketing departments perceive requests for the hideous, wretched
>things that crippled other products as "consumer demand" and
>destroy what otherwise would have been an outstanding
>achievement.

Um... "consumer demand" as in "able to sell it to someone who wants to buy it?"

Now, I'm not a big X fan and can live without MS-DOS, I can see why one
*might* want to be able to read other media than that provided (shall I
venture to say mandated?) by NeXT.  People have invested millions of hours and
dollars in creating datasets that live on lesser media, such as floppies, and
until such time as the media are made completely obsolete, there will be a
need for some way of accessing them.

Consider how long it took for punched cards to more or less completely leave
the scene.  Now you may believe that those who used cards when other media
were available were retrograde technological mossbacks -- and maybe they were
-- but they were the "customer."  It was up to the market to serve their
needs -- and, maybe, to move them toward some more modern and tractable medium,
such as magnetic tape or disk.  For some this process was fairly trivial, for
some it was a rather large effort.

In either case, there had to be some form of transitional vehicle by which to
move from one medium of storage to another.  Hence, in the case of tab cards,
a card reader in the machine room.

As far as X Windows, it turns out that whether we happen to like X or not,
there are a flock of very good and very important applications already written
that make use of it and until there is a groundswell of applications that live
more comfortably in the NeXT environment, X will be a useful tool.  In this
particular site, there is a Cray Y-MP, a Convex, a flock of Suns, two SGIs,
and a Stardent Titan, as well as four NeXTs.  I don't think it is too much to
ask to provide users with remote and distributed computing tools.  It turns
out that we will be developing NeXT based distributed applications tools here,
but until those are completed, X would sure make life a little easier.

It is easy to take a dogmatic stand about the purity of one's product and
approach.  It is also quite easy to go bankrupt by ignoring the needs of the
marketplace, as antediluvian as they might be.

Personally, I think NeXT has to work on getting a *real* processor into their
cube, one that has enough power to get out of its way -- like the Maggotbox --
er -- Macintosh, it is grossly underpowered in relation to the complexity of
the software it has to push.

>                         ...  America once had a reputation for
>ingenuity and excellence.  Japan, et al. didn't "do us in."  We
>did it to ourselves.  It's not too late to break the cycle.)

I have to take issue with this stance, although this is probably the wrong
forum to do it in.  America may have had the reputation that you ascribe to
it.  However, I submit to you that this reputation was won more or less by
default.

At the conclusion of World War II, the economies of Europe and Japan lay
pretty much in ruins, both literally and figuratively.  The United States was
relatively untouched by the physical ravages of the war and, besides, had
pumped up its economy through the building of the war machine.  It was easy to
be Number One when Number Two was so far behind.  Over the last forty or so
years, the economies of Europe and, particularly, Japan have rebuilt.  It
just isn't so easy to be Number One across the board any longer.

It hurts the ego to be Number Two -- or frequently, now, Number N, where N is
a large two digit number -- after being Number One for nearly five decades.
I'm afraid that we, as a culture, are going to have to get used to it.

This, of course, doesn't mean that we, as a culture, should give up.  What it
means is that we should learn to *cooperate* with one another, both within
our own cultural community and internationally, and disabuse ourselves of this
rather silly sophomoric notion of being Nubmer One.

[I realize that you didn't say anything in your text about being Number One,
but I felt that the meaning was implicit.  If I have misinterpreted your
words, I withdraw my remarks beforehand.]

							spl (the p stands for
							peter piper pushed a
							pail of pixels)
--
Steve Lamont, sciViGuy			EMail:	spl@ncsc.org
NCSC, Box 12732, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709

rick@hanauma.stanford.edu (Richard Ottolini) (01/02/90)

In article <246300081@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>As I have seen this question several times in the past, I was curious, why would
>anyone want to port g++ to the NeXT?

G++ runs on more machines than ObjectiveC and far more people are writing
code in that language.
The major exception is interactive graphical interface toolkits, which there
are a zillion of in OOPs, so NeXT people should stick with the best: NeXTStep.

williams@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Kent Williams) (01/02/90)

In article <5970@alvin.mcnc.org> spl@mcnc.org.UUCP (Steve Lamont) writes:
>>                         ...  America once had a reputation for
>>ingenuity and excellence.  Japan, et al. didn't "do us in."  We
>>did it to ourselves.  It's not too late to break the cycle.)
>
>I have to take issue with this stance, although this is probably the wrong
>forum to do it in.  America may have had the reputation that you ascribe to
>it.  However, I submit to you that this reputation was won more or less by
>default.

Three brief points:

1. America has only consistently led the world in grand scale
stupidity, greed and arrogance, since the second world war (witness
Panama, & Central America in general).  Technological and Industrial
superiority has been spotty.  The point Steve Lamont made about
superiority after WWII being a result of Europe and Japan being
trashed is apt.  You can always be technologically superior to someone
you've bombed back to the stone age.

2. Try comparing production code (i.e. the boring stuff that makes
cash register works, etc.) written by Japanese and American
programmers, and you'll stop worrying about software superiority.  I'm
sure (and I sure hope!) there are exceptions to this, but I've never
seen silliness like I've seen in japanese written source.  The
europeans are probably at parity, or ahead in software.  We have an
advantage in that we have English as our language.  Try imagining
writing a program in which all the keywords are in Tagalog!

3. It's all moot anyway.  This is one world, and anything that
benifits country X will, in the long term benefit country Y.
Nationalism is a convoluted form of self-destructiveness.

The original thread of this discussion had to do with G++.  I am in
favor of someone (other than me) doing a port, and coming up with a
set of classes that map to the ObjectiveC classes, just because I do
know C++, and I don't know ObjectiveC.  If I get a minute ;-> I'll
learn ObjectiveC, but until then, G++ would be nice, and philosophy be
hanged.  Discussions of relative merits of the two languages belongs
in comp.languages, or alt.religion

--
                               "Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking
Kent Williams                   part that wonders what the part that  isn't

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric Johnson) (01/03/90)

In article <213@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> In article <246300081@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> jpd00964@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
> >As I have seen this question several times in the past, I was
> >curious, why would anyone want to port g++ to the NeXT?
>
> For the same reason they're clamoring for X Windows, MS-DOS
> emulation and floppy disk drives.
>
> They just don't understand.

Are you willing to concede that maybe--just maybe-- they do understand
something?   If not, save your time and go to the next message.

> (Although there is merit in being
> able to say one has the complete GNU suite running on any
> particular platform, that's not the point.  The problem is when
> Marketing departments perceive requests for the hideous, wretched
> things that crippled other products as "consumer demand" and
> destroy what otherwise would have been an outstanding
> achievement.  What do you get when you "follow" everyone else
> because it's "safe" and punish originality and creativity?
> 90% of what's on the market!  America once had a reputation for
> ingenuity and excellence.  Japan, et al. didn't "do us in."  We
> did it to ourselves.  It's not too late to break the cycle.)

(I won't respond to the Japan-bashing as I don't find that fruitful.)

> As I understand it, NeXT is going to return their gcc with the
> Objective-C support to FSF, in which case I concur--why bother
> with g++?  (In the absence of a LARGE amount of preexisting
> code written with g++ in mind, a/k/a "the FORTRAN argument.")
>
> 					-=EPS=-
> standard disclaimer

Sorry, I disagree.

Why would you want LISP on the NeXT?  Come on, this language
dates back to the 50s.  Why?  Because it is useful to many people
for solving problems using a computer.

LISP is also standardized, with Common LISP and CLOS (Common LISP
Object System), so that people who have learned LISP on other
systems (be they Symbolics or PCs) can transfer that knowledge to
the NeXT and use that knowledge in solving problems.

Why do people use these computers? To solve problems.  (I know few
people who can afford a NeXT merely to play games.  There is usually
some other reason involved.) The NeXT, with many software features
built in, has many tools to help solve problems using the computer.

There is no reason to decry those who want other tools as well,
in addition to the fine tools provided by NeXT.

In particular,

G++ is a freely-distributable implementation of C++ (an object-oriented
superset of the C language) from the GNU project.  While Objective-C
is also an object-oriented superset of C, the two langauges are not
the same.  Regardless of whatever position you take in the C++/Objective-C
wars, many people have invested a large amout of time learning
C++ and they may want to use those skills on the NeXT.  C++ does seem
to have an edge in the object-oriented wars (a much larger playfield
than just Objective-C vs. C++).  By the way, since you don't seem to
like C++/G++, are you also against the following languages being
ported to the NeXT:  Smalltalk, Simula  or Eiffel?  And how about
Modula-2, Ada, Oberon or Pascal?  (You already have C, why would anyone
ever want to use any other procedural language? :-)

The NeXT offers LISP, a language very popular in Artificial Intelligence
circles (especially in the USA).  What about Prolog?  You already have
LISP, so who needs Prolog? :-) (Prolog seems to be very popular in
Europe, much more popular than in the USA.)

The X Window System is a graphical windowing system that runs on virtually
every type of computer--from PCs (IBM PCs, Amigas, Macintoshes) to
Cray supercomputers.  X provides a standard protocol to distribute
graphical applications over a network (I'm writing this message
right now on a Sun SPARCStation as my X display server, and remotely
logged in into a Hewlett-Packard 320--which runs our Usenet software.)

X provides a portability not found with any other graphical windowing
system.  NeXTStep is now available only for the NeXT and IBM's
yet-to-be-released RIOS workstations (correct me if I am wrong).
NeWS is available on Suns and a few other systems (Silicon Graphics for
example, I believe).

X is available. X is portable.  X is free (via FTP) or rather inexpensive
(when ordering a tape from MIT or ISC, et al.).   Many vendors have
released their own implementations of X (for example, Hewlett-Packard and
DEC), so if I don't like MIT's version, I can go somewhere else.

Sun has even merged their proprietary windowing system (NeWS) with X11
(called OpenWindows), so you can get the best--and the worst--of both
systems.

Don't get me wrong, X has many faults.  But so far, the advantages
far outweigh the faults. In particular, I don't like a lot of the
complexity nor the size of X (and X applications), but I respect
software that can provide solutions on many, many different platforms.
And, when I need a solution to be able to run on an HP, a Sun, a
Data General, et al., I see X as the only choice available today.

Others will have similiar reasons for wanting to run MS-DOS software
(remember there are millions and millions of those buggers, however
braindead they may be), or an inexpensive means of software distribution
(hence the cry for floppies on the NeXT).  If you use the NeXT,
a cheap software distribution mechanism is good.  You should want a lot
of people to buy the NeXT (lowering costs with volume) and a lot
of companies to produce software for the NeXT.

In summary then, many people need (or perceive a need for) many
different tools.  Just because the NeXT offers some tools, it does
not mean that those tools are the only appropriate tools for all
users of computers (or all users of the NeXT).

Remember, if the NeXT is to be successful, you want these other
tools to be ported to the NeXT (if people are using these tools on the
NeXT, remmember they are using--and buying--the NeXT).

Have fun,
-Eric

--
Eric F. Johnson, Boulware Technologies, Inc.
415 W. Travelers Trail, Burnsville, MN 55337 USA.  Phone: +1 612-894-0313.