[comp.sys.next] Printing dvi files

ty@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Tying-Jing Yang) (01/07/90)

   I tried to print out emacs manuals by TeX and failed in last step:
lpr -d emacs.dvi. Because I don't know how to customize the shell script
in /usr/lib/NextPrinter/comm file. It is difficult for a novice like me
to install this file.
  Please send me a sample .../comm file.
Thanks in advance !
                        Golden Yang.
email : ty@beach.cis.ufl.edu

In article <TY.90Jan7000050@beach.cis.ufl.edu> ty@beach.cis.ufl.edu
	(Tying-Jing Yang) writes:
>   I tried to print out emacs manuals by TeX and failed in last step:
>lpr -d emacs.dvi. Because I don't know how to customize the shell script
>in /usr/lib/NextPrinter/comm file.

You could change comm, but it may be easier simply to run
dvips.  If  o !lpr  is in /usr/lib/tex/ps/config.ps, the right
thing seems to happen.

					-=EPS=-

mish@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Tom Mish - MACC) (01/08/90)

In article <TY.90Jan7000050@beach.cis.ufl.edu>, ty@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Tying-Jing Yang) writes...

>   I tried to print out emacs manuals by TeX and failed in last step:
>lpr -d emacs.dvi. Because I don't know how to customize the shell script
>in /usr/lib/NextPrinter/comm file. It is difficult for a novice like me
>to install this file.
>  Please send me a sample .../comm file.
>Thanks in advance !
>                        Golden Yang.
>email : ty@beach.cis.ufl.edu

Just a guess here...

  The ".dvi" in "emacs.dvi" stands for device independant(sp?) (or
something close to that. What this means is that it is not intended to
be printed without first turning it into a format which your printing
device can handle. In this case I strongly suspect that you must first
turn this into a Postscript file before dumpong it to your printer.

  I believe the documentation describes how to accomplish these two
feats.

Enjoy... :-)
          MACC         \ /    Thomas F. Mish Jr.   \ / Bitnet:MISH@WISCMACC
      UW-Wisconsin      X          Systems          X    Arpa:mish@macc.wisc.edu
        Madison        / \      (608)263-8043      / \ DECNet:WIRCS3::MISH