[comp.sys.next] Serial Port A configuration???

brunger@venus.ycc.yale.edu (01/18/90)

I have been able to set up my modem (MultiModem 224E) on port A, by fabricating
a cable and modifying the /etc/ttys file. The only problem left is that when
I first login the port is set to 7 bit.  This works if I set my terminal to
vt100 mode, but not with vt200 mode.  Once in I can use the stty pass8 command
to configure the port correctly.  Is there any to permanently set this port
this way?

Please respond to m@jacobi.biology.yale.edu

Thanks in advance,

Mark J. McCallum

In article <20.25b4facb@venus.ycc.yale.edu> m@jacobi.biology.yale.edu writes:
>I have been able to set up my modem (MultiModem 224E) on port A, by fabricating
>a cable and modifying the /etc/ttys file. The only problem left is that when
>I first login the port is set to 7 bit.  This works if I set my terminal to
>vt100 mode, but not with vt200 mode.  Once in I can use the stty pass8 command
>to configure the port correctly.  Is there any to permanently set this port
>this way?

The manual page for gettytab(5) says:

     Output from getty is even parity unless op is specified.  Op
     may be specified with ap to allow any parity on input, but
     generate odd parity output.  Note: this only applies while
     getty is being run, terminal driver limitations prevent a
     more complete implementation.  Getty does not check parity
     of input characters in RAW mode.

I think you need a better getty.

					-=EPS=-
(Terminal driver limitations?  What a pile of ...)