[comp.sys.next] Optical Disk Problems - when exporting

martine@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Martine Wedlake) (01/23/90)

We are currently exporting our optical disk to a network of suns.  Recently our
optical disk has been winding down a lot.  It has been known to wind down 5 to 10
times in a row before it gets in sync.  During this wind down period we get the usual
message over the net saying that nfs host not responding... etc.

We have tried reinitializing a different disk and the same thing happens.  Also, the
disk is mounted directly in the /etc/fstab (and is also loaded into netinfo), so it isn't
mounted via the workspace manager.

Any clues??

  Later,
     martine  (martine@jove.cs.pdx.edu)

chari@nueces.cactus.org (Chris Whatley) (01/23/90)

martine@jove.cs.pdx.edu (Martine Wedlake) writes:

>We are currently exporting our optical disk to a network of suns.
>Recently our >optical disk has been winding down a lot.  It has been
>known to wind down 5 to 10 >times in a row before it gets in sync.
>During this wind down period we get the usual >message over the net
>saying that nfs host not responding... etc.

Pick up your cube and go directly to your service center and get it
replaced. Those are the exact symptoms that I have experienced with 3
bad optical drives from NeXT. At least get it checked out by the
service center.

Chris

--
Chris Whatley