[comp.sys.next] Why does NeXT have such a lousy keyboard?

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (01/24/90)

The NeXT is pretty cool (as you all know). It has its problems though.
One of the most serious problems is its truly awful keyboard. I'm
sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to bring it up
again. Why, precisely, did Job's decide to forgo nearly a decade
of ergonomic research? Even the mouse is too big and heavy!
My ideal keyboard is the one supplied with the console of the
IBM-RT. Everyone I talk with agrees that the RT keyboard is the
best one around. Since NeXT has a working relationship with IBM,
why can't they just license this keyboard? (unfortunately, even IBM
doesn't use it much). I guess that's it for now. As I learn more
about the NeXT perhaps I'll start posting more.
--

Ari Halberstadt '91, "Long live succinct signatures"
ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu	Disclaimer: "Live Free or Die"

dayglow@csli.Stanford.EDU (Eric T. Ly) (01/24/90)

In article <18768@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>The NeXT is pretty cool (as you all know). It has its problems though.
>One of the most serious problems is its truly awful keyboard. I'm
>sure this has been discussed before, but I'd like to bring it up
>again. Why, precisely, did Job's decide to forgo nearly a decade
>of ergonomic research? Even the mouse is too big and heavy!
>My ideal keyboard is the one supplied with the console of the
>IBM-RT. Everyone I talk with agrees that the RT keyboard is the
>best one around. Since NeXT has a working relationship with IBM,
>why can't they just license this keyboard? (unfortunately, even IBM
>doesn't use it much).

I have to disagree with you about the NeXT keyboard.  In general, I
find it an excellent keyboard.  It's layout is simple and clean; key
placement is well thought-out, and there aren't any function keys to
cloud the eyes.  The keys are very responsive and audibly "click" when
you hit them.  The placement of the Command and Alternate keys make it
very convenient to activate command key equivalents and what not from
both sides of the keyboard.  It is one of the most comfortable
keyboards I've typed on.

However, I do have some complaints:

 - NeXT should have labeled the Esc key with the Tilde character.

 - The Power key is in the wrong place.  I frequently hit it
   unintentionally when I want to adjust the volume control.

 - It would be nice if the keyboard had more of a tilt to it.  Right now,
   I set it against the rollers so that I can type comfortably.  Perhaps
   something like the PC keyboard's adjustable tilts would be nice.

						Eric Ly
						CSLI, Stanford University

	(Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>The NeXT is pretty cool (as you all know). It has its problems though.
>One of the most serious problems is its truly awful keyboard.

You "obviously" have never used a Sun Type 4 keyboard (of the
variety currently shipping with SPARCstation 1s).  That alone
will win NeXT many sales...

>My ideal keyboard is the one supplied with the console of the
>IBM-RT.

Are you sure you wouldn't prefer an 026 keypunch?

					-=EPS=-
(If anyone \does/ want to build the next great keyboard, Stanford
must have a few SAIL consoles left...)

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/25/90)

In article <11885@csli.Stanford.EDU> dayglow@csli.stanford.edu (Eric T. Ly) writes:
>In article <18768@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>>One of the most serious problems is its truly awful keyboard. I'm
>In general, I find it an excellent keyboard.

That just goes to show you; keyboards are very personal devices, and
everybody likes something different.  I hate to praise Apple, but their
Apple Desktop Bus is a very nice thing; it makes it easy to attach different
input devices to their computers.

Rather than redesign the current keyboard (which I happen to like very much
indeed), it would be nice to have a choice.  [I'm convinced that NeXT will
be forced to offer a keyboard with function keys; I'd like it as an OPTION,
not a requirement.]

>However, I do have some complaints:

Me, too.  My biggest complaint about the keyboard is the placement of the
cords.  Between the cords that come out the back, and the (expletive deleted)
monitor stand, it's awkward to get the keyboard out of the way when I
need desk space for other things.  I'm always worried about breaking the
wires, too.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
Remember: If it ain't computerized registration, it ain't worthwile.