[comp.sys.next] Application switching menu for NeXT/bigger fonts for menus/etc.

ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) (01/24/90)

Hello nextworld,

Perhaps someone knows if there's an application which will let me select
any of the active programs? Somewhat like the Apple menu in Multifinder.
The problem, as you all know, is that the screen gets cluttered, covering
up all the windows of some application. The only way to get to the application
is then to start moving all the other windows around (or hiding them) until
the desired window is uncovered. I'm thinking of writing such a program
if none is available (my first NeXT app).

Also, is there any way to get bigger fonts for the floating menus? Perhaps
we could even make them more like the apple menus (I find the menus are always
getting in the way of my work). I'm tired of squinting at menus and moving
them around just inorder to see my work. I know there's a way to customize
the application font, but that doesn't seem to affect the menus.

As an extension to the windows, perhaps we could manage a zoom box?

Finally, I'd like to be able to click a button in the browser window which
would change my current working directory to the one selected in the
browser. It's kind of silly to locate the directory you want and then
have to type in the full pathname to the shell window. I was thinking
of somehow adding a button handler to the browser, but I'm new to the NeXT
and don't know if such a thing is possible. And how do you tell the browser
to open your windows always in icon view, if that's what you want?

Thank you all for your attention to these most serious matters.

--

Ari Halberstadt '91, "Long live succinct signatures"
ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu	Disclaimer: "Live Free or Die"

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (01/25/90)

In article <18769@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> ari@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Ari Halberstadt) writes:
>Perhaps someone knows if there's an application which will let me select
>any of the active programs?

The dock?

>Finally, I'd like to be able to click a button in the browser window which
>would change my current working directory to the one selected in the
>browser.

Amen and Hallelujah, Brother!  This has bothered me from the beginning.
NeXT could at LEAST make Copy (and Paste) read (and set) the current directory
in the browser.  Then, you could find the directory you wanted with the
browser, Copy it, click in a shell window, and type "cd command-v" and
all would be well.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: {convex,uunet}!uiucuxc!dorner
Remember: If it ain't computerized registration, it ain't worthwile.

In article <1990Jan24.165404.3883@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
	dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>NeXT could at LEAST make Copy (and Paste) read (and set) the current directory
>in the browser.  Then, you could find the directory you wanted with the
>browser, Copy it, click in a shell window, and type "cd command-v" and
>all would be well.

Or message the Shell directly as InterfaceBuilder does.

					-=EPS=-