[comp.sys.next] NeXT term type?

jdm@gssc.UUCP (John David Miller) (02/01/90)

In article <6124@ncar.ucar.edu> davis@groucho.UCAR.EDU (Glenn P. Davis) writes:
>In article <18600004@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> cs325bb@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>
>>Does anybody out there know the terminal type for the NeXT?
>>
>The NeXT terminal application claims to be a vt100 but isn't.
>
>If this was my product, I'd be quite embarrassed that this
>situation was released.

Furthermore, why doesn't the Shell application have cursor addressing?  It
seems silly to me to make the "real" application (with scrollbars, multiple
instances, etc) brain-dead in the most basic of functions (terminal emulation)
while the Terminal application (which has pseudo-vt100 emulation so you can
run vi, emacs, more) is a brain-dead application (no scrollbars, no multiple
instances, no cut and paste).  **** Why was there a need for two
different programs?! ****

Even the X Window System has a better terminal emulator, and it combines
most of the functions of Terminal and Shell into one.

My suggestion: fold vt100 emulation into Shell, at least as an option when
using mono-spaced fonts.

-- jdm
--
John David Miller                      jdm@gss.com
Graphic Software Systems               uunet!gssc!jdm