[net.followup] Call holding & modems

john@anasazi.UUCP (John Moore) (08/10/85)

In article <260@anasazi.UUCP> will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
>This line is provided as a bonus to telco for inventing UNIX
>
>If you have call holding and the phone rings your connection
>gets trashed and your security is left wide open whilst you are
>busy cursing at the "unconcious connector".
>For an additional ~$1.75 a month you can add the service of call
>forwarding. Just punch in the code numbers and forward all calls
>to your number. When someone calls they get a proper busy signal.
>Best of all your connection remains unmolles%

	Well... I tried this just now and it doesn't work. Apparently
the switch recognizes that you are forwarding to yourself and just
ignores the request. However, if you have more than one line, forward the
phone to the other line and it works fine. I have used this many times.
		[also at Anasazi, and therefore on the same phone service...]

--
John Moore (NJ7E)
{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!john

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/10/85)

In article <260@anasazi.UUCP> will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
>This line is provided as a bonus to telco for inventing UNIX
>
>If you have call holding and the phone rings your connection
>gets trashed and your security is left wide open whilst you are
>busy cursing at the "unconcious connector".
>
>For an additional ~$1.75 a month you can add the service of call
>forwarding. Just punch in the code numbers and forward all calls
>to your number. When someone calls they get a proper busy signal.
>Best of all your connection remains unmolles%
>						 %^$&
>						      &*(#
>buzz
>    click    ---Hello? Hello? Whats that whistling noise man? <-:

Save your $1.75 per month.  You can now turn off Call Waiting from your
own phone.  And you can turn it back on when you want to.

Call your local phone company for details.  If they won't give them to
you, send me e-mail and I'll send you the instructions that are on
the BBS system that I am the SYSOP of.
--
              |------------|
              | |-------| o|   HRD725U & PV9600
Mr. Video     | |AV-2010| o|   |--------------|
              | |       |  |   | |----| o o o |
              | |-------| O|   |--------------|
              |------------| VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   {seismo!uwvax!|!decvax|!ihnp4}!nicmad!brown

zeek@pyramid.UUCP (Jim Zeek) (08/11/85)

In article <260@anasazi.UUCP> will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
>If you have call holding and the phone rings your connection
>gets trashed and your security is left wide open whilst you are
>busy cursing at the "unconcious connector".
>
>For an additional ~$1.75 a month you can add the service of call
>forwarding. Just punch in the code numbers and forward all calls
>to your number. When someone calls they get a proper busy signal.
>Best of all your connection remains unmolles%

The phone company has announced that call holding can be turned off
by punching in a code for each call to be made without interupts.
I believe it is a free service. Check with them to find out how.

				Jim Zeek at Pyramid Tech.
				(pyramid!zeek)

edg@micropro.UUCP (Ed Greenberg) (08/12/85)

In article <260@anasazi.UUCP> will@anasazi.UUCP (Will Fuller) writes:
>This line is provided as a bonus to telco for inventing UNIX
>
>If you have call holding and the phone rings your connection
>gets trashed and your security is left wide open whilst you are
>busy cursing at the "unconcious connector".
>
>For an additional ~$1.75 a month you can add the service of call
>forwarding. Just punch in the code numbers and forward all calls
>to your number. When someone calls they get a proper busy signal.
>Best of all your connection remains unmolles%
>						 %^$&
>						      &*(#
>buzz
>    click    ---Hello? Hello? Whats that whistling noise man? <-:
>
>--
>William H. Fuller
>{decvax|ihnp4|hao}!noao!terak!anasazi!will

In the latest issue of Pacific Bell's "newsletter" a command called
"cancel call waiting" is discussed.  It will last for one phone call and
then must be reset.  It must be done before you make the call that you
want uninterrupted, unless you have 3-way in which case you can set the
cancel feature after you are talking  to the VIP  (very important
phonecall).

Obviously the feature of using this with 3-way is useless with a modem,
but the basic idea is a fine one.  The article mentioned this as good
for your computer phone calls as well.

"Cancel Call Waiting" coming to a central office near you (eventually.)
					-e
--

UUCP: {hplabs,dual,ptsfa}!well!micropro!edg