[net.music] NEW ORDER Tour

bub@ames.UUCP (Bubbette McLeod) (08/07/85)

Has anyone seen New Order on tour this time? I'd like some
reviews or at least comments.

{dual,hao,hplabs,ihnp4}!ames!bub

or

bub@amelia

dave@rocksvax.UUCP (08/09/85)

I saw them last week in Toronto.  They played a few tunes from 'Low Life'
and quite a few from Power Corruption and Lies.  Wasn't as good as OMD's
tour.  The only members that got into anything were the bass player and
the drummer.  The female keyboard player seemed to playing a Disney automaton.
The lead singer seemed generally bored with things... Don't know their
names, they never put that info on the albums!  They really need to lighten
up!!

Almost seemed they didn't want to do an encore, the mercury vapor lights
in the hangar we watched them in were almost up to full brightness when
a stage hand started loading some floppies up for an encore.

Bottom line, if you are real hardcore New Order fan see it, but it wouldn't
convince anyone to be one if they weren't one to start.

Dave

arpa: Sewhuk.HENR@Xerox.ARPA
uucp: {allegra,ihnp4,rochester,amd,sunybcs}!rocksvax!dave
ns: "Sewhuk:HENR801C:Xerox".ns@Xerox.ARPA

cv@linus.UUCP (Chris J. Valas) (08/12/85)

-=-

In article <4000011@rocksvax.UUCP> dave@rocksvax.UUCP writes:
>I saw them last week in Toronto.

etc., etc.

>Bottom line, if you are real hardcore New Order fan see it, but it wouldn't
>convince anyone to be one if they weren't one to start.
>
>Dave

Since New Order eschew popularity and the admiration of idiots, this sort
of attitude can be expected for the duration of their tour.  Personally, I
think their show was great, but then I was paying attention.  I agree with
Dave:  they'll win no new converts with this tour.  On the other hand, for
the 'true hardcore New Order fan', who cares more about the music and the
message than being catered to, this tour is not to be missed ...

A high point of the show came when the crowd was trying to sing along to
one of the songs from "Power, Corruption, and Lies".  Bernie leaned over
and, slanting the lyrics of the song, told the crowd, "You get these words
wrong, you stupid *bastards*."  If you didn't already know the lyrics and
the point of the song, you'd miss the irony.  The crowd obviously missed
it, because they continued to sing stupidly along.  This comment, and the
crowd's lack of reaction, were alone worth the price of admission.

Another subtlety lost on the crowd:  just before the intro music to the
second song, the drummer started beating out the intro to "Atrocity
Exhibition" from Joy Division's "Closer" album.  The segue into the song
they were really going to play, from "Low-life", was seamless.  This
prelude so struck me that I realized New Order wanted the current song to
be interpreted in the light of what the other song had said.  There were
other examples of musical cross-referencing during the show, but most of
these were so oblique that only people who have followed these guys since
JD days could follow the pointers.  These are the kinds of things a real
fanatic goes to hear, and remember!

The point, the point of the show, the point of this posting:  If you loved
JD, if you love New Order,

		Go, go, go,

		and listen...

Chris J. Valas         {decvax,utzoo,philabs,security,allegra,genrad}!linus!cv
-=-
"On a thousand islands in the sea, I see a hundred people just like me..."

whizzo@mit-eddie.UUCP (David Hardy) (08/16/85)

> a stage hand started loading some floppies up for an encore.

What does this mean?  Floppy disks?  Are they somehow using floppies to
provide some of their sound?  This is a new one on me...
"An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a
 proposition.  It isn't just contradiction  ..................  Can be! "
                       Dave Hardy    (whizzo@mit-eddie)
ARPA:  whizzo@mit-eddie.ARPA      -or-     haadav%mitvma@mit-multics.ARPA
CSNET: haadav%mitvma.bitnet@wiscvm.csnet            BITNET: haadav@mitvma