[comp.sys.next] GNU stuff

sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) (02/02/90)

In article <103@next.com> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:

>And in fact they [GNU sources for C compiler]
>are now available; for $150 you can get all the GNU source
>code on an optical disk.  Order direct from NeXT; part number N5501.
>
>Ali

What are the "rules" about copying and distribution?  Do the sources
contain the assembler and linker modifications?

Several of us have tried and failed to port g++.  The necessary code
is almost certainly in these NeXT mods, but I doubt that many of us
trying to do the port are willing to pay $150 just to see if the
answer is lurking in this golden disk.

rich@Rice.edu (Rich Murphey) (02/03/90)

   sfrank@orion.oac.uci.edu (Steven Frank) writes:
   In article <103@next.com> aozer@NeXT.com (Ali Ozer) writes:

   >And in fact they [GNU sources for C compiler]
   >are now available; for $150 you can get all the GNU source
   >code on an optical disk.  Order direct from NeXT; part number N5501.
   >
   >Ali
   What are the "rules" about copying and distribution?  Do the sources
   contain the assembler and linker modifications?

If the sources are covered by the GNU General Public License, then it
should be possible for some kind soul on the net to redistribute them
freely via anonymous ftp.

--
Rich@rice.edu

bob@MorningStar.Com (Bob Sutterfield) (02/03/90)

In article <103@next.com> aozer@next.com (aozer) writes:
   In article <15228@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> Bryce Jasmer writes:
      ...NeXT is about to make public the sources for their GNU mods.

   ...for $150 you can get all the GNU source code on an optical disk.

NeXT's modifications too?