[comp.sys.next] IBM Announces NextStep

rock@lighthouse.com (02/07/90)

BusinessLand officially received word today that IBM would be offering
both NextStep and Motif on their soon-to-be-announced RISC machines
(RIOS?).  Better yet, they will also be offering NextStep (in addition
to Presentation Manager) on their PS/2's.

The announcement of NextStep on the PS/2 is really significant.  If
all goes well, this means there will be rather many more Next-
compatible machines in the world.

Our sources say the new RISC machines will probably be announced "next
week."

Roger Rosner
Lighthouse Design, Ltd.
NeXT Mail: rock@lighthouse.com or ...!uunet!lighthouse!rock

melling@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (02/07/90)

In article <1990Feb6.181347.4457@lighthouse.com> rock@lighthouse.com writes:

   The announcement of NextStep on the PS/2 is really significant.  If
   all goes well, this means there will be rather many more Next-
   compatible machines in the world.

   Roger Rosner
   Lighthouse Design, Ltd.
   NeXT Mail: rock@lighthouse.com or ...!uunet!lighthouse!rock

How compatible will these machines be?  I've heard that software that runs
on the IBM machines with NextStep will still need a major rewrite to run
on the Next.

-Mike

walters@chance.uucp (Chris Walters) (02/07/90)

In article <C==k0o2@cs.psu.edu> melling@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu
(Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>How compatible will these machines be?  I've heard that software that runs
>on the IBM machines with NextStep will still need a major rewrite to run
>on the Next.
>
>-Mike

I also heard IBM uses C++, not ObjC.  Anyone know for sure?
  -- chris

"My days are in the yellow leaf;          | Chris Walters
  the flowers and fruits of love are gone;| MITRE McLEAN, (703)883-6159
 The worm, the canker, and the grief      | walters@community-chest.mitre.org
  are mine alone!" -- Byron               | walters@euler.mitre.org (NeXT mail)

rock@lighthouse.com (02/08/90)

Mellinger) writes:

>How compatible will these machines be?  I've heard that software that runs
>on the IBM machines with NextStep will still need a major rewrite to run
>on the Next.

The press release states the machines will maintain the same NextStep
API (application programing interface).  Thus, programs written for
the NextStep environment on any machine should require only a
recompile to run on any other.

Of course, hardware differences will necessitate software changes.
For instance, I doubt the IBM machines will have DSP chips, so
programs making extensive use of the NeXT's sound capabilities will
need to be changed to run on the IBMs.

(Allegations that IBM has replaced Objective-C with C++ in their
NextStep environment are plainly ridiculous.  Eliminating Objective-C
would require a lot of effort and would severly hamper efforts to
port.  (However, creating an additional AppKit interface for C++ would
make a number of folks happy.))

Programs written for the current AIX machines will certainly need
extensive modification to use NextStep well, as they use a completely
different windowing universe.  (Of course, command line Unix programs
should port among all 4.3 machines without hassle.)  However, AIX
programs that use X should port quite easily after MIT releases the
NeXT X.  They'll just be ugly as sin.

bruce@atncpc.UUCP (Bruce Henderson) (02/09/90)

In article <94651@linus.UUCP>, walters@chance.uucp (Chris Walters) writes:
> In article <C==k0o2@cs.psu.edu> melling@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu
> (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
> >
> >How compatible will these machines be?  I've heard that software that runs
> >on the IBM machines with NextStep will still need a major rewrite to run
> >on the Next.
> >
> >-Mike
>
> I also heard IBM uses C++, not ObjC.  Anyone know for sure?
>   -- chris

not true.....   Under NeXTStep the GNU Obj-C compiler [ala NeXT rel 1.0a] is used  porting of
applications is trivial for people who have written thier code according to the guidelines
in the Tech. Doc.  It takes about 1 to 5 days if you were smart enough to use the Interface
Builder [ie. WingZ should have a really tough time!] and not make too many Mach calls.
They have made a lot of AIX 3 calls mimic Mach so that alot of the major calls should work
pretty much as expected.  One drawback is that there is NO SOUND~!!!!!!

Other than that, I am really excited about shipping my 'ware on many platforms!!!!

Bruce Henderson